Laptops How to dispose of a dead laptop? Can it be sold?

nemo_online

Disciple
My latest very short stint with an Asus laptop (2019 -2022) came to an end as it passed away peacefully in its sleep. ( Won't start up). With a market price of around 54K at the time of purchase, it has once again shown to me that irrespective of brand, India remains a terrible place to buy low-end and mid-level laptops. Anyway, what is done is done so now I ask the learned folks here to suggest how to best get rid of it. I will keep the HDD with me. Want to dispose of the rest.

Bigger centres will have independent shops which can repair motherboard
The biggest of all in Asia - Nehru Place, is an option not very far from me but I am not sure at the moment if I want to consider this option. Assuming I spend 5k on it, I will get a warranty of 3 months at most if I am lucky. Also, quite a few keys on the keyboard had also stopped working before its death. So, not too keen on the restoration option.

Asus laptops are very famous for their power failures and that's why I never suggest anyone to go for Asus laptops. They use cheap components especially capacitors, MOSFETs and inductors which fail sooner than later.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/c/NorthridgeFix/search?query=asus laptop

With that said, please take your laptop to a repair shop in Nehru Place and at least get an estimate before throwing it away. You can decide for yourself then if it's worth it or not.

Asus laptops are very famous for their power failures and that's why I never suggest anyone to go for Asus laptops. They use cheap components especially capacitors, MOSFETs and inductors which fail sooner than later.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/c/NorthridgeFix/search?query=asus laptop

With that said, please take your laptop to a repair shop in Nehru Place and at least get an estimate before throwing it away. You can decide for yourself then if it's worth it or not.
This is news for me. Didn't know about this power failure issue. Actually, I have been an Asus fanboy for almost 20 years now, especially of their Mobos which never gave me problems in the past. But as with all things that come to India, the rot sets in eventually, and I think as a company their lack of interest in the India market is very apparent now and my last 2 Asus purchases (both laptops) have been duds.

Regarding NP, I am shifting to Bangalore later this month so short on time so I guess S.P. Road will be the place for me to carry out any repairs, if I change my mind.

My latest very short stint with an Asus laptop (2019 -2022) came to an end as it passed away peacefully in its sleep. ( Won't start up). With a market price of around 54K at the time of purchase, it has once again shown to me that irrespective of brand, India remains a terrible place to buy low-end and mid-level laptops. Anyway, what is done is done so now I ask the learned folks here to suggest how to best get rid of it. I will keep the HDD with me. Want to dispose of the rest.
You can easily find buyers for
1. Display (in some case with hinges)
2. RAM
3. Full Chassis/Body

Assuming this part will be sold on need basis so you need to be patient with the sale thread.

I would agree with @vaibhavyagnik and @enthusiast29 and recommend to check offline/out of warranty repairs - even companies do out of warranty repairs - it may cost you but it will allow you to use that laptop.

Back