How to divert WiFi speed?

pause

Disciple
A colleague in my office insists on watching videos on his terminal. We are all on WiFi network and thus the speed on my terminal gets reduced. Is there any way I can divert more WiFi speed to my computer such that my speed is not affected. I'm not bothered if he can watch videos or not. Please advise.

Depends on the wireless router/AP your office uses. It should support some sorta QoS management wherein you can prioritize certain types of traffic over others, or even give his IP address lower priority over everyone else.

^^^ Exactly. For a Cisco 1100 AP, a background can be found here.

Wireless Quality-of-Service [Cisco Aironet 1200 Series] - Cisco Systems

Every enterprise class (read: not a SOHO AP) will have specific commands to configure Quality of Service based on Groups, VLAN, physical ports or TCP/IP ports.

You'd probably want to split the network into VLANs (Virtual LANs) where people who abuse the network are put into one VLAN ;) and their priority is set to low whereas people who genuinely need good quality of service get a high priority.

If you are a lucky person and own any one of the home routers that can run Tomato or any other open source firmware, QoS settings are very easy to configure.

Back