How to eliminate power blip when A/C compressor kicks in.

tvarad

Disciple
Here's my setup: two computers, one driving a 46" 1080P Samsung LCD TV and the other a HTPC connected to an amp/5.1 speaker setup with sub-woofer driving a projector when I am not controlling it through Windows remote desktop on the other 'puter to play music. Only the LCD TV or projector is on at any given time and both have about similar power draw: about 250W. All of these are behind a dedicated SU-KAM pure sine-wave inverter 800VA with 150AH battery in UPS mode. At any given time, the two computers with TV or projector draw about 350W typical, 400W max combined so the UPS rating should be OK for this setup.

Here's my problem: whenever the compressor on my 1.5 ton split A/C kicks in, there is a momentary power loss on the above equipment despite being behind the Su-Kam UPS. I had to put the computers behind two APC 550VA smartups's that I was trying to replace with the Su-Kam to prevent them from rebooting.

So, the Su-Kam obviously does not have the stamina to stand up to the momentary power drain due to the A/C. Will adding another 150AH battery help, or should I dump the Su-Kam and go in for a computer grade UPS, or is there any other solution?

Thanks in advance.

^... Su-Kam or any inverter/UPS (as they are sold) are not efficient voltage regulators... So you will have to run separate UPS which are tuned to handle much higher fluctuation difference...

Else as blr_p suggested.... Get 3 Phase connection with all power outlets (16Amps) running on one phase & rest on other two phase...

But I think that UPS thing should be there... its more efficient but actual backup is provided by SuKam...

Also you can get a voltage transformer instead for your rigs.....

blr_p said:
Go 3-phase

Thanks for the pointer. Others have advised me to have the wiring in my house checked to see if the A/C is on the same circuit as the computers and also to check whether there are any lose ground wires etc.. So I'm going to have an electrician check everything.

Well if you are on a single phase then they will defnitely be on the same circuit as there is only one circuit coming to your home :)

Going 3-phase involves extra cost as you would have to upgrade your setup with your local discom. Also it depends on whether in the first place you are even getting 3-phase to your home or building.

The UPS i think is the much more cheaper & easier option.

Thing i'm uncertain about is whether

| PC | ---- | UPS | ----- | SU-KAM inverter| -- | Mains| is ok

or whether it should be

| PC | ---- | UPS | ----- | Mains |

blr_p said:
Well if you are on a single phase then they will defnitely be on the same circuit as there is only one circuit coming to your home :)

Going 3-phase involves extra cost as you would have to upgrade your setup with your local discom. Also it depends on whether in the first place you are even getting 3-phase to your home or building.

The UPS i think is the much more cheaper & easier option.

Thing i'm uncertain about is whether

| PC | ---- | UPS | ----- | SU-KAM inverter| -- | Mains| is ok

or whether it should be

| PC | ---- | UPS | ----- | Mains |

I first have to figure out the wiring in my house and whether the A/C is on the separate heating circuit on which my water heaters and refrigerator are. My main aim is to make the setup unaffected by the power blip caused by the A/C. After that I'll take it step by step.

i too had a similar prob so i had a separate wire drawn from the meter to my ac and a seperate wire for the rest of the connections .it worked for me(i have a su-kam trusty home-ups non-sinewave 1400va withe 2*1500ah batts.

Hmm and you are on a single-phase setup or a 3-phase one deepak ?

If your sanctioned load is 5KW or above its automatically 3-phase.

blr_p said:
Hmm and you are on a single-phase setup or a 3-phase one deepak ?

If your sanctioned load is 5KW or above its automatically 3-phase.

The idiot electrician who wired my house has put the plug-point that supplies power to the A/C in the same circuit as the rest of the plugs that supply power to the computers, despite knowing that it would be used only for an A/C. I have to get it re-wired on a separate circuit.

Interesting, did not think it would make a difference but if anyone could explain the reason it would be interesting to know.

So tvrad, it looks like you can fix the problem without going 3-phase :)

Clean all the points. Use as much less of extension wire as possible.
And the remedy is earth your AC and UPS ASAP.

Okay I had the same issue sometime back, when My PC is connected to same line in which a/c is running, the power blip due to compressor kicking in would cause power drop. Single phase wiring in my house meant that I couldnt shift to another phase.

Solution, I installed a CVT along with the UPS in the line, this controls the power blip and makes sure the UPS doesnt give up. I dont know whether is right or wrong as this area is prone to power fluctuations which Luminous UPS wont be able to take up.

setuniket said:
Okay I had the same issue sometime back, when My PC is connected to same line in which a/c is running, the power blip due to compressor kicking in would cause power drop. Single phase wiring in my house meant that I couldnt shift to another phase.

Solution, I installed a CVT along with the UPS in the line, this controls the power blip and makes sure the UPS doesnt give up. I dont know whether is right or wrong as this area is prone to power fluctuations which Luminous UPS wont be able to take up.

By CVT, I assume you mean Constant Voltage Transformer. What is the difference between a CVT and a voltage stabilizer like V-Guard?

tvarad said:
By CVT, I assume you mean Constant Voltage Transformer. What is the difference between a CVT and a voltage stabilizer like V-Guard?

Honestly I dont have any idea about difference between Voltage Stablizer and CVT. I had bought this CVT in year 2001 when I lived in a place where there was no power cuts in the last 20 years. So never needed any UPS, now in city like Noida, you can very well imagine the condition.

BTW Google throws up this

Voltage regulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

read the article with sub-heading 'AC voltage stabilizers', I hope the reply mentioned is right.

I don't think my Su-Kam Falcon 800VA UPS is cutting it for my needs. The switching is too slow and even though I put my computers behind smaller APC's to avoid this, the projector and 46" TV cut out and turn back on even during normal power cuts.

Any suggestions for a data grade UPS of about 800VA with faster switching that can run off a 150AH Exide Invar Red that I am using now? I looked at the APC BackUPS-RT 1000VA but it uses proprietary connectors and battery pack.

Back