How To Encrypt BitTorrent Traffic

More and more ISP’s are limiting throttling BitTorrent traffic on their networks. By throttling BitTorrent traffic the speed of BitTorrent downloads decrease, and high speed downloads are out of the question.

The list of ISP’s that limit BitTorrent traffic, or plan to do so is growing every day, and according to the BBC, the ‘bandwidth war’ has begun.

Are you not sure if your traffic is being throttled Check the list of bad ISP’s.

But there is a solution. Encrypting your torrents will prevent throttling ISP’s from shaping your traffic.

What does encryption Do?

The RC4 encryption obfuscates not only the header but the entire stream. This means that it’s very hard for your ISP to detect that the traffic you are generating comes from BitTorrent.

Note that RC4 uses more CPU time than the plain encryption or no encryption. It is however harder to identify for traffic shaping devices

Explaination on how to enable encryption in Azureus, µtorrent, and Bitcomet, the three most popular torrent clients is provided here ...
http://www.torrentfreak.com/how-to-encrypt-bittorrent-traffic/

Hmmm.. interesting info..
On bitcomet protocol encryption is already on 'autodetect' and so far no speed problems on Airtel.. So I guess its not yet time to change that option to 'always'.

well .. who knows .. this mite be the order of the upcoming times..

so i thot better to brace up or atleast be well informed to avoid the panic mode later on ..

:)

packet shaping going on with my isp, especially with BT. I used to get low speeds when they had enabled this a few weeks ago, now i've enabled plain encryption and the speeds are what i used to get before.

Protocol Encryption will only work if the peers you are downloading from are using it as well.
Everyone connected to the torrent has to have it enabled otherwise your BT client will just reject those not using it, hence doing more bad than good.

true that dude..

bt this post is here for those situation where all of a sudden ur torrents are not going Bang Bang Boom Boom ..

this trend shd eventually catch up .. i ll vouch for that .. bt may take time .. :)

One thing i wanted to ask all u techies.. dz this apply to clients like Limewire and Ares too ..?

Back