How to find an IP address?

^^
Precisely. The OP doesn`t want that - The message recieved by his friend`s fiance containing her email id in the sender`s space, be used to track
back her IP address(which he strongly suspect is her`s).
But what was there in that message that even sent to her fiance raises so much concerns,
what was the content of that message, was it too much to raise concerns for a protective person
who thinks "she talks to every tom dick n harry ".
Now in case somehow he gets the IP, with airtel connection what you speak she has, and they having dynamic IP allocation.... ofc u
can say it might have been sent out from other user from that IP Range and say it out about static IP and
stuff - and ofc he being informed enough about IP will get it.
Btw apart from the IP and stuff, dont forget the email id that was used to send message, I am telling
that because with FB so much popular, and it having an epic user search facility using email.... if by chance
she has been using that email id for FB Account, then he dont even need to get into finding off IP and stuff.
Also if in case he can access her comp, take care of history on her system and autofillups that crops up
in the browsers like Mozilla and Chrome!!
Anyways, shizz happens......... take care of all that as soon as possible.
And ofc he wont be going to Cyber crime dept to trace back that lol (ofc in case he acts smart and sends
email from some other id ofc trace back the IP)................/

So just ask her to act smart and ask her do abonden that email id as soon as possible for some time ;)

@himanshu..

sure friend.....by the way the content was very simple, she was asking a friend of hers to come online....exact message was :

"i am online nw...where are you? can you come online?"

and instead of her friend she sent it to fiance....and that guy is ........ leave that part...she is a very good friend of mine...so she was worried and asked me, as he told her that he would track IP down etc etc .... nothing else....still in many parts of India, n families, if your engagement breaks up, it's a big deal...that's the problem

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ronnie_gogs said:
^^ I believe the concern here is not finding the userid... but more about making sure someone doesn't find your id...

From what I can gather from his posts is that the OP is concerned that a friend of his might get into trouble for a SMS message sent over yahoo to mobile (although I find it weird that girl is worried if she sent a msg to her own fiance unless she mentioned some other guy's name in tht msg :p)

you are right to some extent ronnie...but she didn't mention guys name

kartikoli said:
you have posted the email id on the opening post so use that to track his IP .... anyway the username itself is a short form of an email ID

if u dont want to go to the police then write to yahoo india about the incident and see if they are convinced then they can assist you
absolutely correct

one of my friend is working with an private cyber security agency and he told me that some time to catch a hacker they too have to hack things [with the consent of police for sure]
even govm. cyber agencies ask them to assist them

@kartikoli,

but i don't think they would entertain a personal request as it is a tedious job to find a log list and that too for a single sms sent?

and about leagal hacking, they need the permission or even if they do hack it....there is nothing on the pc right? no ids or password stored...!! they won't b able to steal or make out anything..

Fahrenheit said:
No, not necessarily. Anything sent from the internet can definitely be tracked albeit illegally.
friend, I am talking about just a sms sent over the net....how can one track a IP address from that?

I mean i read how to do it while transferring a file but not in this case.....would you just brief me about it please?

Well if it was as harmless as
"i am online nw...where are you? can you come online?"
I dont think it should be a issue... But doesn't yahoo mention your user id with the msg sent.... The person can find out if it came from you by that id mentioned...

swapyworld said:
friend, I am talking about just a sms sent over the net....how can one track a IP address from that?
I mean i read how to do it while transferring a file but not in this case.....would you just brief me about it please?

short version of sms over internet for dummies.
1. User sends sms text and receiver's number to yahoo's server. (yahoo gets user's IP and can log it)
2. Yahoo send sms details to a bulk SMS operator of their choice.
3. Operator sends the SMS to the recipient. Recipient receives SMS from the operator and in the "from" number/text can get anything that the operator enters.

The recipient (fiancé in this case) only has the sms text and the operator sent data which is always generic. Unless yahoo sent the username alongwith the sms text, there is no way to track it back to the originating person. Yahoo has logs but will not give it to anyone without proper authorisation.

Please keep your query restricted to just the technical part of it. Use random names like Alice, Bob etc to make the query more clear.

why do you still want to know how to track an IP address? Shouldn't you be telling your friend that it not legally possible to do so? or do you actually want to help the "suspicious fiancé" and are making up this entire story. We can probably shift this to General Talk in that case; maybe even close the thread.

m-jeri said:
For such a thing the fiancee acts like a u know...and still she wants to marry him.

weird.

me saying the same thing...i don't why is she, when she has come to know what kind of guy he is !! let it be...!!

pr0ing said:

1. User sends sms text and receiver's number to yahoo's server. (yahoo gets user's IP and can log it)

3. Operator sends the SMS to the recipient. Recipient receives SMS from the operator and in the "from" number/text can get anything that the operator enters.

The recipient (fiancé in this case) only has the sms text and the operator sent data which is always generic. Unless yahoo sent the username alongwith the sms text, there is no way to track it back to the originating person. Yahoo has logs but will not give it to anyone without proper authorisation.

Please keep your query restricted to just the technical part of it. Use random names like Alice, Bob etc to make the query more clear.

why do you still want to know how to track an IP address? Shouldn't you be telling your friend that it not legally possible to do so? or do you actually want to help the "suspicious fiancé" and are making up this entire story. We can probably shift this to General Talk in that case; maybe even close the thread.

why would i want to help that fiance? and i don't want to find out how but just wanted to know whtther he can? because just above some one said it is possible illegaly...thats why !!

pr0ing said:

why would i want to help that fiance? and i don't want to find out how but just wanted to know whether he can? because just above some one said it is possible illegaly...that's why !! and friend, why would i make up the things up? look if u feel so, i can't do anything about it...!!

Q: How to find IP address of yahoo messenger user using only an SMS received?

A: Not possible to track SMS back to the sender without co-operation from proper authorities and with a valid reason.

Is this answer sufficient or do you need anything else?

you can get ip address of the machine from which the email is sent by looking at the header part of the mail.
but the ip address is changed if the modem device is changed as every modem device's ip address is vary from one another which is allocated by the corresponding ISP depending whether it is static or dynamic.If the connection is static,then IP remains the same everytime it connect to the Internet otherwise dynamically allocated by the ISP if the connection is dynamic.

Back