CPU/Mobo How to Flash the BIOS?

Iam asking this on behalf of my Friend as his PC is going down now and then
and there is a computer repair fellow who attends his system and says that your bios is corrupted and it needs to be flashed and that person takes the motherboard and flashes(i dont know how) it. and charges 200 everytime.
This problem has occured to him 2 to 3 times nearly.

So guyz plz help my frnd with this
1. What is Bios Flashing?
2. When will this problem occur?
3. How to do this Bios Flashing?

1. Your BIOS is stored on an EEPROM chip. Flashing is simply 'writing' the BIOS code onto that chip.

2. AFAIK this problem can occur if you flash the wrong BIOS or modify settings to the point that its no longer bootable or have a faulty BIOS chip.

Now unless your friend is tampering with the BIOS, it sounds like this computer repair chap is taking him for a ride. Could you give more details on what you mean by his system going down ?

3. A corrupt BIOS usually needs to be re-flashed with an EEPROM programmer. The adventurous lot could even hot-swap and flash it in a (similar) board that uses the same BIOS chip.

if he is using bios being corrupt reason over n over again then probably he is taking you for a ride.

specify your motherboard here...

200 is ok if he is actually hot swapping bios everytime...(even that comes with 1month warranty from most repair stores)

for dos or software based flashing... 200 is something you can save if you read motherboard manual.

First of all why do you wanna flash your BIOS ??? I keep away from that activity even when the machines are under warranty in my office.. I just seem to have bad luck with flashing BIOS's

Updating a BIOS is always recommended for system stability. And most of the times the need arises when the system malfunctions.

Yes i have done a hot-swap for my Asus intel chip motherboard with a similar BIOS socket Asus SIS chip motherboard. God am i lucky. It worked just fine and my motherboard came to life.

To flash a BIOS refer to the motherboard manual. It has detailed instructions with screen shots.

Give us more details on what is the problem with the system ?

Back