User Guides How to flash your "BIOS" safely ?

okay guys i got this from dfi-street and this is more specific for dfi boards but then it can be used for all motherboards. this guide is targetted to "noobs" like me and is really not meant for all the "oc gurus" of TE. dont flame me if i have missed on something. thanks.

DISCLAIMER :Follow this article only at your own risk. I will not be responsible for any damage to your hardware arising due to this article.

REMEMBER : Flashing a BIOS is only recommended if you are facing some issues with your current build. Dont do it just for the sake of having the latest build.
***NEVER POWER OFF YOUR RIG DURING A BIOS FLASH. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BATTERY BACKUP BEFORE STARTING A FLASH***

There are basically 2 ways in which you can flash your BIOS. One is using a bootable floppy and the other is by doing it through windows. There is also a method of doing it by DOS but i dont have any idea about it.

For DFI boards it is generally recommended to use the "bootable floppy" method (DiamondFlash) even though floppies are almost extinct now.

Here are the steps to be followed for the "DiamondFlash" method :

-Get a new floppy and put it in your floppy drive.

-Run the file you downloaded.. (for eg : NF4LD406.EXE)

-Just click next or whatever it says to copy the files to your floppy drive.

-After the program finishes with the floppy reboot and go into bios.

-Load Optimized defaults... Make your first boot device is your floppy..save\exit

-It should boot to the floppy now and flash all by itself.

-At the end it will say to remove the floppy and press F1.. do that.

-Its going to automatically reboot.. Press delete to go right into bios.

-Load Optimized defaults and save\exit.

-When you see the post screen power off your rig by holding the power button.

-Unplug your psu and press the power button a few times to discharge any power left in the system.

- Move the cmos jumper to the clear position.. Leave it like that for 5-10min's

- Move the jumper back to the normal position.

- Put the power plug back in and press the power button to power your rig on.

- When you see the post screen press delete to go into bios.

- Load optimized defaults and save\exit bios
***NEVER INTERRUPT YOUR MACHINE DURING A BIOS FLASH. LET IT TAKE ITS OWN TIME. DONT PUSH THE RESET BUTTON ON YOUR OWN WITHOUT WAITING FOR THE MESSAGE TO DO SO***

Now when it reboots you can enter your bios and set it up like you want.

The above method can be followed for flashing by windows also. All you will have to do is take care of the following :

-Make sure you load "optimized" defaults from your BIOS before flashing it.

-Never flash a BIOS with overclocked settings.

-After flashing the BIOS make sure you again load "optimized" defaults in the first boot after the flash and then you again power off your system and clear the CMOS as suggested for the "bootable floppy" method.

ONLY FOR DFI USERS : Most of you must be aware of TMOD's BIOS flashing cd ... it is a cd with BIOS files of almost all dfi mobos and its bootable. this cd makes the process very very simple. All you have to do is boot from the cd and flash the BIOS of your choice after selecting your Motherboard Series from the Menu. But follow the procedure of flashing and loading optimized defaults as mentioned for the "bootable floppy method"

it looks like this,

Download TMOD'S Bios flashing CD 6.5 (ISO) from here.

Keep checking dfi-street for updates to TMODS Bios flashing CD.

Links:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51372&page=1&pp=15
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22031

Back