User Guides How To Get More External Storage Space In Any Mobile Or Tablet

I was looking on ways to expand the storage of devices and found that there are many new ways which you can use even if your device does not support SD card, like Nexus 5 or 7.

Some of them are well known options which many of you might be using already, but there are some cool new devices which can expand the storage a lot, making it as huge as your laptop or desktop !

Cloud Storage
There are plenty of websites offering free or paid cloud storage already. Sites such as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive etc. These have their own mobile apps with which you can upload / download files from devices directly from / to the cloud space.

The advantages of using these cloud storage services including free and large storage space ranging up to 50GB, ability to share files with others with links and option to stream files as well. This means that you can free up space from your device by uploading those pictures you rarely see, moving up the music library or your documents to these cloud apps.

dropbox.jpg

But if you are living in India where good bandwidth is not easily available or mobile data plans are super expensive, then its not a good idea of relying heavily on cloud for your storage needs.

USB On-The-Go ( OTG )
This is another good option for attaching mass storage devices such as pen drive to your phone or tablet. The device needs to support USB OTG function, some support out of the box, some require root access to use OTG and some do not support.
View attachment 40261

In case your device supports OTG ( Google for it ) , the easy way to attach storage device is to use an OTG cable. But now pen drives such are available which offer OTG facility without needing the OTG adapter such as Sandisk Ultra Dual or Transcend JetFlash 380. Check out the options here at Flipkart.

Wi-Fi Multimedia Sharing Using Router + USB
This is another option for storage expansion and this works even with Apple devices such as iPhone and iPod which lack external storage and doesn't support OTG either.

You can make your wireless router act as a multimedia server if it supports USB file sharing and DLNA. There are many routers available which offer this feature from brands such as D-Link , TP Link, Netgear etc. Once configured , you can install EX File Explorer to browse and / or stream files to your device.

ex file wifi storage.jpg

But this option will not work in case you are away from your home or office Wi-Fi router with multimedia sharing option.

Another alternative is mobile Wi-Fi routers which come with built-in battery and support multimedia file sharing with DLNA as well .

One good option is portable router from Hame such as A2. These are available on eBay around Rs 2000 and also serve as portable battery charger, USB Data card internet sharing ( 3G Hotspot ), Wi-FI router / Repeater and USB Wi-Fi file sharing with wirelessly connected devices.
hame a2.JPG

So how do you manage with less storage in your device ? Do you use cloud or USB OTG or any other option ?

Attachments

• USB OTG Pen Drive.jpg
    USB OTG Pen Drive.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Horrible 3G connections and expensive data plans render Cloud storage useless for me and my phone doesn't support OTG. So I use the golden approach - 'Minimalism'.

With a memory card of 32 Gb expanding my poor phone's 8 GB internal memory. I keep all my multimedia on the memory card. Limit the multimedia to what I am currently interested in because there is no reason to carry the entire world with me also there is always something interesting to read on the internet.

At home things change dramatically thanks to my router. I have put all my songs on a pendrive and set it up as a mediaserver. On mobile 'BubbleUPnP' helps to stream and listen to the music. This was not just to overcome the space issue on my mobile but it helps me stream music to all my devices like PS3, WDTV live and my PC (Media Monkey).

Also set the router and Pen drive combination up as a Shared Drive so I can access my files using 'Network Places' on my mobile. Then I can access Videos, Songs and other files on the shared drive. It somewhats renders 'BubbleUPnP' useless. I can also transfer files between my the phone and the shared folder.

Space on my mobile has really not been an issue for me so far.

I use OTG and Cloud on N8 and OTG on Xperia T although both of these devices has microsd slots. Cloud is used for bare minimum purposes for small files like documents, some photos etc. because high speed mobile internet (read 3G) is not cost effective or widespread in our place. I bought one of those dual port pendrives with micro usb connector on one end which makes it easier to connect to phones than using adapters dangling around.

On my iPhone 4S I'm out of either of these options - I dont know otg is even supported by ios but the non-availability of micro usb slot makes it cumbersome. Cloud is also not feasible because the device heats up and drains battery like hell when internet apps are used with either wifi or mobile data. Besides their own iCloud is buggy, it sometimes sync and other times nothing happens. Dropbox works flawlessly though...

Generally cloud storage on gadgets is not feasible in India because we all know the limitations of internet connectivity in here and in non-metro cities and rural areas, good internet connection is only a dream...

Media Server is good, though limited within home. I installed my old pc with Ubuntu to act as a media server so now it streams content to tv,ps3,mobiles,tabs etc...

Last edited:
I am very surprised to find no mention of FolderSync App + NAS Storage like (GoFlex like the one @varkey has built). My Nexus 4 never runs out of storage as the constant incoming from WhatsApp, Camera, FriendsCaster keeps getting cleaned in the night. I don't loose any pics or any downloaded material. Its backed up on my NAS.

Guys there is also a wireless Seagate external hdd available. It creates a hot spot to transfer files wirelessly to it if I am not mistaken.

Back