Storage Solutions How to get most out of SSD

Hi guys,

I need your expertise here.

I got Mushkin Calisto Deluxe 60GB SSD from Sudhir(PhOeNiX), I kept it on AHCI mode and I installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

I did some tweaking by searching on net,

I want to know how/what to tweak to get its performance/ life increase.

One more thing, I have Hard disk sentinel and it is showing as 89% health, Is this is normal?

IIRC only the latest Intel Matirx Storage drivers and the stock Microsoft AHCI drivers support TRIM passthrough. For an AMD board you better uninstall your SATA drivers and go back to the Microsoft AHCI drivers or your SSH will start degrading.

Torch said:
IIRC only the latest Intel Matirx Storage drivers and the stock Microsoft AHCI drivers support TRIM passthrough. For an AMD board you better uninstall your SATA drivers and go back to the Microsoft AHCI drivers or your SSH will start degrading.
I didn't get you,

I connected the SSD and then in bios I changed the SATA controller mode to AHCI and then I freshly installed Windows 7 Prof. 64-bit

I didn't used it in STAT mode I think. Sorry if it is dumb question. Just enlighten me please....

Torch said:
Read up on SSD TRIM. The SATA AHCI drivers must support TRIM or the SSD will degrade and become extremely slow.
OK, I read about what TRIM is?

How to know my AHCI drivers support TRIM or not?

By the way, I checked TRIM and it is on. (I heard it is default on when the windows 7 detects SSD)

TRIM is only enabled if you are using the default Microsoft drivers for the SATA controller that comes with Windows. If you have installed drivers from the motherboard disc it might have installed their own SATA drivers which will not support TRIM.

Torch said:
TRIM is only enabled if you are using the default Microsoft drivers for the SATA controller that comes with Windows. If you have installed drivers from the motherboard disc it might have installed their own SATA drivers which will not support TRIM.
After installing windows 7, I installed Antivirus, I activated Windows and then ran the windows update which got all my drivers in update.

Windows Update might have installed a new driver for your SATA controller. Check in Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Under properties it will tell you the name of the driver.

Torch said:
Windows Update might have installed a new driver for your SATA controller. Check in Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Under properties it will tell you the name of the driver.
Here is it.

Which one to check and All are with default drivers.

ATA IDE ATAPI drivers on my PC
[attachment=6399:11778.attach]

ATA channel 0 Driver details properties
[attachment=6400:11779.attach]

Attachments

• IDE ATA-ATAPI controllers.jpg
    IDE ATA-ATAPI controllers.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 59
  • ATA Channel 0_SSD.jpg
    ATA Channel 0_SSD.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 58
Guys, Help,

I am getting pathetic speeds.
I heard about partition alignment and did that to.. It didn't helped, I am getting low speeds on benchmarking tools

What to do?

gouriin said:
But I was checking net and I saw some services to disable, moving users folder etc....

What about them?
I have no input about your speed issues, but I would suggest you not follow those "tweaks" you find on the internet.

Windows 7 automatically turns off disk defragmentation and other things that adversely affect your SSD.

Everything else is like buying good speakers and leaving the plastic wrapping on to improve the longevity of the speakers.

whatsinaname said:
I have no input about your speed issues, but I would suggest you not follow those "tweaks" you find on the internet.
Windows 7 automatically turns off disk defragmentation and other things that adversely affect your SSD.

Everything else is like buying good speakers and leaving the plastic wrapping on to improve the longevity of the speakers.
Hey thanks, I didn't done anything.

Just i saw a article on Microsoft blog about the SSD and Windows 7 and I followed their's.

Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives - Engineering Windows 7 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

hA1d3R said:
which chipset are you using?
My signature tells about my system config.

Phenom X4 9650 | Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP | 4GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz | Thermaltake M9 | 60GB Mushkin Calisto Deluxe SSD | 1TB Western Digital Balck SATA2 | 1TB Western Digital Green SATA2 | 500 Segate 7200.10 PATA | Corsair TX750 PSU | Benq E2200HD 22inch Full HD LCD monitor | Microsoft Desktop 500

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I posted on Mushkin's forum and They said It might be dirty, So i have to secure erase the drive, so did it and then i installed Windows 7 on it.

Now everything seems to be ok, The ATTO is giving very nice speed records.

But the HDTune bench not yet done. Once done I will post the scores

The ATTO showing 275 MB/s Reading and 242 MB/s writing speeds.

Back