PC Peripherals How to get rid of TP-Link Beta Watermark on Beta firmwares

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I have this router bought here itself a yr or two ago for my friend.
Works flawlessly except sometimes random reboots so he flashed beta firmware as suggested by tplink forums and it worked!

He upgraded to a new router and this was sent back to me few months back and only today I got some time to look at it.

Model: Archer C1200
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: C1200v2_eu-up-2.0.2 Build 20180308 rel.38281(Beta)

Whenever one logins to the router this is how the page appears:

1629814531699.png

What sucks is this cheap looking beta watermark all over. Its so frustrating to eyes and disturbing as well.

There should be some way to remove the image or at least replace it with a stock image.

Here is the location of the image:
1629814796173.png

I hope there is a way to replace the image. Already have isp router so not intending to use it but just for Rnd purpose.

Messing around in firmware files is not something I would do mate.

I remember going into the JIFFS partition via ssh in my Asus RT-AC68U.

If you can ssh into the router and replace that image then it might work. Just be aware that you might end up bricking the router. :p

Messing around in firmware files is not something I would do mate.

I remember going into the JIFFS partition via ssh in my Asus RT-AC68U.

If you can ssh into the router and replace that image then it might work. Just be aware that you might end up bricking the router. :p
Thanks! I think nothing to brick if I can replace the image keeping the same naming convention and filesize etc.
Still any simple way to ssh into router? Just dont want to go through those yt videos..

Still any simple way to ssh into router? Just dont want to go through those yt videos..
Seems like ssh is possible but thats only for TP-Link Tether app. Any other access is restricted.

You will never find this kind of stuff easily on YT. The amount of effort it takes to create a video for an obscure use case is a bit too much.

For this kinda stuff forums/reddit are the best bet.

1629829585637.png

Opened port 23 in firewall etc. and already have defender disabled through gpo + no other fw or av installed yet port 23 issue.

1629829712223.png

In fact the site says all ports are closed!

View attachment 112447

Opened port 23 in firewall etc. and already have defender disabled through gpo + no other fw or av installed yet port 23 issue.

View attachment 112448

In fact the site says all ports are closed!
This website is checking your ports over the internet. If you have cgnat, most likely ports will be blocked by the isp, adding ports in router/firewall wont do anything.

You'll have to do port scanning via local network. Try fing or wifiman to do port scanning on local networks via phone.
For windows you can use advanced ip scanner or angry ip scanner. Nmap is also a good tool, but its command line.

If you are open to experimentation, you could try flashing factory image via the openwrt flashing methods, maybe that will clear the beta firmware. Factory images provided at openwrt too.
I hope this is your router model, please check and confirm(model/series/revision etc), at your own risk.

Last edited:
If OpenWRT is supported on this model, you could flash it. Problem solved.
+ You get more functionality + security.

Back