How to get US Phone Number in India....

hash

Adept
Hello,

Guys needs some help in getting a US Telephone number for my sister who is in India. her company promised for working abroad but her company told her to arrange a US phone number ...I though about Magic Jack but does it work ? I just need to know how to have a US phone number in India so the person thinks hes actually calling a US phone number.....

Any software or device or is this not possible at all ? Please help guys its related to her job..thanks

hash said:
Hello,

Guys needs some help in getting a US Telephone number for my sister who is in India. her company promised for working abroad but her company told her to arrange a US phone number ...I though about Magic Jack but does it work ? I just need to know how to have a US phone number in India so the person thinks hes actually calling a US phone number.....

Any software or device or is this not possible at all ? Please help guys its related to her job..thanks

google voice

vb86 said:
skype has a paid option..

you buy a us number from them and it rings on your skype client anywhere in the world!
they don't have incoming facility.....
also when call is made through skype,on caller id different no. is displayed every time.(LIKE 0400,0080)

Gonna try Spokn for now. Thank god I did not get Skype ( no incoming calls >_>) . Inquired about Magic Jack it seems they will ship the device to a US residence and then someone has to ship it to India...So I'm guessing w/o the USB device Magic jack won't work,correct?

Yes, MagicJack does work and quite flawlessly I might add. You just need a stable broadband connection and you're all set. Been using it since last december with zero complaints. Just plug in and call. Oh and its free calls all over the US AND Canada. Or you can try Vonage if you want, I think its $25/month for free calling WORLDWIDE.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

You can get MJ shipped to India via sites like us2mytown

I think the site isn't accepting orders atm but you can leave a mail to book one. Else I'm sure there are other sites like it out there.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

In fact, I just googled for MagicJack's resellers in India and came up with this...check it out!

MaQ Solutions

Hope it helps!

Thanks a lot everyone for all the help , gonna every thing listed here. ill come back if it doesnt work out.. thanks a lot guys . thanks!!!

Some providers that i've used

1. Localphone.com - Incoming no. at $0.99 per month. Calls to India at 1.5 cents / min, so u can forward calls on ur DID to ur mobile phone at that rate. Been using it for 3 years now, never faced issues.

2. CallToPBX.com - If outgoing calls will be made frequently, they have an unlimited outgoing plan for $15 per month - it was $10 a while back (India is included in unlimited destinations :) ) Incoming no. for $1 / month. Forward calls to ur mobile phone for free if unltd plan is taken. Not had any issues with outgoing yet. Incoming no. gives issues at times with my relatives telling me they get a 'number doesn't exist' sometimes, its happened 4-5 times now.

Hope this helps...

register on sipgate.com, they give you free US phone number....you can use any SIP client on you're computer to receive incoming calls free of cost or use hardware SIP adapter to hook a phone...Also if you can register on google voice (by using US proxy or some other work around) you can make outgoing calls for free too...

Finally got a Spokn Number. I've just got one more doubt...How do I check if I will be able to recieve calls to that number correctly ? I have a 11 digit number that Spokn has given me 1-650-***-**** .

Tried calling from cell phone but number does not exist?

I used 91 - 650 - *** - **** to call using cell phone...Am I doing something wrong here?

Ah thanks tested it and it is working.

Though after the call gets connected Spokn keeps making a annoying 'beep' all throughout the call. I call my Spokn number and it rings with a "beep" and after i Click on "Accept" the call gets connected but still the "beep" keeps going on.

Back