How to Increase Space in Windows Drive?

Hello friends,
While installing my windows xp i only alloted 10 GB to my C drive
but now its showing full and i can't understand why?! :huh: i mean windows takes max around 7gb space right? and i dont install anything in that drive...
so can u guys help me out in detecting whats the problem or tell me how to increase my C drive space? :ashamed:

If you have only installed XP on C drive then, it should only take up 1.5GB - 2GB. In your case it is too much.

I think that the page file on C drive might be more it will same in size as your RAM. Try shifting the page file (pagefile.sys) from C drive to other drives. If you had ever used Hibernation, then it will have taken some space.... deleting "hiberfil.sys" will not cause any problems. You can safely delete that.

Hope it helps.....

I would keep the pagefile on the c: drive, it does actually increase windows speed, Just make it smaller. You can use a program like Acronis Disk Manager or partition Manager, or the G-Parted livecd to re-arrange your space.

hey guys u were right the page file was set to initial 1.5gb and max 3. sumthing gb.. so i reduced it to initial 500mb and max 1gb but reducing that won't effect my performance of the pc? or will it? i got 1 gb ram and core 2 duo e6300

and i never switched on hibernation cos i heard sumwhere that its not safe :p

Well; it is always good to keep the paging file size as that of your RAM. I have 2 GB of RAM; so I have set

1000MB-1200MB pagingfile on C:\

500MB-600MB pagefile on D:\

and 100MB-1200MB pagefile on G:\

Technically, it is always better to keep the paging file across the disk.

@Sumeet a.k.a NEO's

I recommend you to set your Initial size to 1000MB & Maximum size 1200MB. Definitely your system performance will improve.

Back