How to Limit / Cap WiFi Speed ??

X-Rebel

Disciple
I have a Belkin N150 Router ... a 2MBps connection ...

We are 2 users, me n my bro .... whenever my brother starts downloading games / movies on his Laptop .. my speed is drastically reduced (I m using a wired connection to my desktop) ..

Is there any way I could cap the speed of the Wireless link to say 50% of the bandwidth ??

If he is aware of your intentions to cap the wireless speed, you could simply have him LIMIT the download speed within the torrent client (Azureus, uTorrent etc.).

With various speed limits to choose from, it won't be that bad for your brother.

Just my 2 cents.

I would like to know if the reverse can be done.

The routers here have a limit of 30KB/s per user, with about 3-4 users getting that same speed simultaneously with the same router.

Is it possible to get the maximum speed possible, atleast when nobody else is connected to it? We have full access to the router hardware and the optic cable.

comp@ddict said:
I would like to know if the reverse can be done.

The routers here have a limit of 30KB/s per user, with about 3-4 users getting that same speed simultaneously with the same router.

Is it possible to get the maximum speed possible, atleast when nobody else is connected to it? We have full access to the router hardware and the optic cable.

Depends on the firmware running and you will need access to it.

thetoxicmind said:
If he is aware of your intentions to cap the wireless speed, you could simply have him LIMIT the download speed within the torrent client (Azureus, uTorrent etc.).

With various speed limits to choose from, it won't be that bad for your brother.

Just my 2 cents.

Thats a good suggestion ... but sometimes even my few friends access it when we have our study sessions ... so is there any way where I could have complete control on the speed ??

Back