How to Make Bootable CD for Win98SE ?

Emperor

Skilled
Hello Friends,

I have 98SE installation file (none bootable) on Hard Disk in seprate Drive, If I need to re-install 98OS, I do it from DOS by executing Setup.exe and reload Win98 OS.

Now I want to make a bootabl CD (using files from my current HDD) so next time I do not need to run file from Hard Disk Drive using DOS.

I also have Win98 OS CD but this CD contains other OS and Softwares.

I want to use Bootable CD if in future I decide to Full Formate my HDD and remake Partition Too. May be some day any virous or Windows itself will force me to use this Bootable CD.

Thank You

its' no problem at all..

1) find a good floppy disk (u'll be using this for only a few minutes :) )

2) ctrl panel -> add remove programs ->STARTUP disk-->create

3) when it askes for the source files . browse & point to the backup installation in your HDD.

4) a bootable floppy disk is ready in your FDD drive

5) fire up NERO (or any other good cd writing suite)

6) in the mode choose CD-bootable, in the options (in nero it must be available as soon as u change to the cd - bootable mode) choose floppy disk drive

7) add the source files into the cd layout as usual & burn it...viola...bootable win98 disc :D

ps.this was not a copy paste job :p

Hello super_saiyan ,

Thank You for reply.

What I want is to Make Win98se Bootable Installer CD. Exactly what now days you got as WinXP OS CD.

You put WinXP cd in drive and it automatically run and start process to Install XP on your System. The same type installer CD i want to make for 98SE.

when u make the bootable disk , & boot from the disk u will get the options :
1)boot from cd-rom with CD-rom support
2) without CD rom support.
but the default win98(original boot information) has 3 options ...wiz
1)boot with cdrom support
2)boot without cd rom support
3)start win98 installation

i dont use a win98 now so cant experiment & let u know ;)
but its' very simple suppose u have made a bootable cd with the win98 bootinformation & have included the backup folder from your HDD.
after the cd boots just go the folder & type setup.exe...the installation starts
:).....
by default in a win98 disc...the layout is
x:\win98\
ofc it has addition folders' like x:\addons x:\support & stuff...but not required..

Stick you can create a bootable CD through the method explained by super_saiyan. On booting from it you will get the dos prompt. From there onwards you can run the setup manually. Or, if you want more, you can create a customized config.sys and AutoExec.bat file that will allow a bit of automation. To know more about it read the text files in the Windows folder of Win98 installation.

super_saiyan said:
its' no problem at all..

1) find a good floppy disk (u'll be using this for only a few minutes :) )

2) ctrl panel -> add remove programs ->STARTUP disk-->create

3) when it askes for the source files . browse & point to the backup installation in your HDD.

4) a bootable floppy disk is ready in your FDD drive

5) fire up NERO (or any other good cd writing suite)

6) in the mode choose CD-bootable, in the options (in nero it must be available as soon as u change to the cd - bootable mode) choose floppy disk drive

7) add the source files into the cd layout as usual & burn it...viola...bootable win98 disc :D

ps.this was not a copy paste job :p
Sayian,

I do exactly as you ask me to do here and also make changes in Bios to boot form CD ROM but after restart PC, system ask to "Use Proper Bootable Media and Re-boot system" but the Bootable CD (which I make from Floppy) is aleady in CD Drvie.

Now what to do?:huh:

""Use Proper Bootable Media and Re-boot system"" this comes when the cd is not readable or the data in the disc is damaged.....
maybe the floppy was faulty...

the above process is the exact procedure i used to follow to make my bootable cds' long time back...

OT: the best bootable disc i had made consisted of HBCD V5.*,windozzze95,windozzze98,windozzzeME,all my scanner,printer,cdwriter,dvdwriter,webcam,display drivers & some games like dave,pocket tanks..etc..:p

Hello super_saiyan,

Is there any way that we can Command Window to Make Stat Up Disk (bootable) instead of FLOPPY copy it directly on CD ROM

i have winndows x p 64 bit with NTFS partition.... i need to upgrade my mobo bios .. so need a bootable that will boot on windowx xp 64 bit and NTFS partition for updating bios.. help please

@stick : heres' a link to a bootalble image of win98,with some additional apps...for fdisk.
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/win_boot.iso
disalaimer: i havent tested this.
to add additional files use any cd image managing tools like ultraiso to include additional files & save & then burn.
Post here if u still have any problems.

@maxguru : use any good bootable cd compilation on net.....HBCD(Hirens' boot cd),ultimate boot cd,etc.
1 more thing...i dont recall me logging to any partition to update the BIOS..
Just use any bootable cd...win98 will do..& on the same cd include the BIOS files & update...simple...
EDIT : if u want to make a bootable floppy of winxp...use the following steps.

Format a floppy from within NT
From the root of the C: drive, copy
Boot.ini
NTLDR
Ntdetect.com

and if you have them
Bootsect.dos
Ntbootdd.sys

ps.:You can use this floppy to boot if you were getting errors like NTLDR not found. :)

OH MyGOD,

I am so dumb that even when you give me all readymade I am fail to make bootable CD. I make 3 CD totally bad in try.

Can you please explain me how to burn this .iso file?

Please Please I know it is too much but help me.

^^ at super_saiyan .. i dont have FDD ,, i have stopped using it ages back... will see about what u have said ... but as i said win98 bootable will not boot on x64 OS on ntfs...... i have a dos bootable which boots on older stsyem byt new pc it does not... thanks for info.

^^^@stick : downlaod ultraiso from here ISO CD image creator, editor and BIN to ISO converter - UltraISO can extract/create/edit/convert CD and DVD image files directly, make bootable CDs and convert BIN to ISO.

(i think the trial version is enough for what we'll do....but if not i think u know how to register the software ;) )

start ultraiso & open the file i gave the link to ..(bootablewin98se.iso)
frm the explorer add all the files u want...(if u want...still ~690MB remaining...;) )
after adding all the files...save the iso(file-->save)
then burn ths iso using any cd writing application....
ex : for nero : startnero --> recorder-->burn image-->bootablwin98se.iso

or u can use the internal ultraiso burner too
ex : ultraiso-->tools-->burn cd/dvd image-->bootablewin908se.iso

super_saiyan said:
^^^@stick : downlaod ultraiso from here ISO CD image creator, editor and BIN to ISO converter - UltraISO can extract/create/edit/convert CD and DVD image files directly, make bootable CDs and convert BIN to ISO.

(i think the trial version is enough for what we'll do....but if not i think u know how to register the software ;) )

start ultraiso & open the file i gave the link to ..(bootablewin98se.iso)
frm the explorer add all the files u want...(if u want...still ~690MB remaining...;) )
after adding all the files...save the iso(file-->save)
then burn ths iso using any cd writing application....
ex : for nero : startnero --> recorder-->burn image-->bootablwin98se.iso

or u can use the internal ultraiso burner too
ex : ultraiso-->tools-->burn cd/dvd image-->bootablewin908se.iso
I am wondering why didn't you suggest to use NERO Only to make Bootable CD,
I never use nero other than Backup my work.

So if possible can you suggest me how to make bootable CD (bootablewin908se.iso) using NERO Only.:huh:

Is it possible or not?

Thanks for quick reply

Back