How to power Airtel/BSNL Modem from laptop ?

Praks

Skilled
Hey guys,

A very simple question, Is it possible to pull power from USB port (2.0) of laptop & power on Airtel/BSNL Modem ?

Reqirement is simple - There is no UPS & one needs modem to work incase of power cut. Laptop has 2 USB ports & gives 2 hours of battery backup. if I am not wrong Modem will work on around 9V of power.

Will it be possible to make modem work by taking power supply from USB ports of laptop ? if Yes, HOW :) ??

There used to be old modem called 100CX being provided by Airtel back in days.

thumbnail_100cx_small_f30f2fabaaa8d838b1c7a9e1f4ae5749.jpg

It's a pretty stable modem with driver support for almost all flavors of Windows. Draws power from USB2 socket and emulated LAN over USB.

Call your local field engineer and ask him if he can provide you same from his old repository

While you might some solutions with Airtel at least, I don't think BSNL will give you this space. Try enquiring them first IF you can change your modem to a USB one.

These days ADSL modems have two "connectivity" options, "Ethernet" & "USB" followed by a separate power adapter.

So the answer is NO !

I suggest you switch to a USB modem (EVDO)... (Reliance BB+, Tata Photon)

Party Monger said:
What he's asking is can he use the power of the usb to power his modem, i'd say just check if both their specs match..

And I' said NO. The USB port isn't sufficient to power a modem hence the separate power adapter.

The USB Modem(likes of tata photon) however doesn't need a separate power supply, that being the reason I recommended the same.

TECH HUNTER said:
how about connecting it from dual power USB cable.

i mean a cable like this:

aa2usbpc1.jpg

Damn ! Didn't know there were such things. :S

^^ I think, even with dual power usb cable its not possible to power the Modem as USB is 5 V 300 mAh? and the power supply needed to the modem is 9V ~700 mAh.

You are left with options 1) get an old USB modem from airtel or 2) get evdo connection from bsnl/tata/reliance.

H@cKer said:
No you cant as modems require min 9V of power while usb can supply max 5V.

That made me thinking again.

is it 1 USB port = 5 V then 3 USB port = 15 v ?

Or atleast I can draw power from 2 USB ports & make it 10 v sufficient to power up 9 v modem.

What say ?

To all those who think it ain't possible. well I say it is coz I'm doing it! :bleh:

Will post the pics in my next post to show u guys "how?" It is an indispensable thing since we r having almost 4 hours of load shedding here at a stretch and my Dell Studio 1555 with 9 cell battery is able to run it all for 4 and a half hours straight. :hap2:

Ryunosuke said:
To all those who think it ain't possible. well I say it is coz I'm doing it! :bleh:
Will post the pics in my next post to show u guys "how?" It is an indispensable thing since we r having almost 4 hours of load shedding here at a stretch and my Dell Studio 1555 with 9 cell battery is able to run it all for 4 and a half hours straight. :hap2:

Do that and you've got some reps coming your way :). Never hurts to contradict nay sayers who haven't even tried it :p!

Alright here are the pics with the modem running.Sorry for the low quality of the pics as they were taken thru my phone's camera. Lemme tell u all about it.

The cable being used is a USB to DC power cable that came with a USB DVD Writer I bought along Lenovo S10 for my sister. She left without taking the DVD writer so on one mischievous night I used the cable to power up my Type 1 modem. Since I had my Type 2 modem also, it wasn't a calculated risk but more of a calculated n00bish nincompoopery. :rofl:Well the modem worked all OK so I hooked it up to my WiFi modem too. It also worked and since then it has been a indispensable cable in my Laptop arsenal.

Besides small devices like modem, it is also capable of running HDD docks like the Sunbeam one which I have. Since the cable was not available at my city as a spare, I'll try to get it from Amarbir, tomorrow if he has any otherwise I have discussed with my Electronics repair guy and he is willing to emulate it if I can get him the parts and the schematics, u know the pin config for USB etc.

Attachments

• Cable.jpg
    Cable.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 559
  • BSNL WiFi modem.jpg
    BSNL WiFi modem.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 549
  • Backport.jpg
    Backport.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 493
  • In action.jpg
    In action.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 480
  • HDD dock.jpg
    HDD dock.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 408
  • HDD Dock2.jpg
    HDD Dock2.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 449
i had seen the airtel guy using the same thing. only his usb to power cable looked custome built, u know with plastic tape coatin, and bare wires seen near joints an all, at that time as soon as he started the the modem, the power was cutoff, so he simply plugged the modem to my laptop and it worked, i asked him to give me the cable, but he simply said its something he made it himself, heh. neway it can be done..we just need to get our hands on the cables Ryunosuke mentioned.

Praks said:
@Ryunosuke

You are champ buddy :)

Do you mind giving step by step process (me kinda kindergarden kid) ?

lol :bleh: me no Champ, just a lucky noob.

The cable came with a external slim DVD Writer which I bought for my sister's Netbook. It is able to power various devices that use that 12V DC port but power ratings do play a major role. The cable can provide only that much amount of power, which is practically possible from a USB port, anything over 5V DC, well better use an adapter.

I did gave my local electrician a USB cable and the DC pin but emulation was not successful so as they say, Gotta get something done, do it yourself.

I'll try to make the cable myself and if succeed in it, I just might take bulk orders. ;)

Yes it is possible as the modem needs only +5V volt, even if we are connecting a 9V or 12V adapter, inside there is a 5V +ve regulator "LM7805" so power requirement is only +ve 5 Volt, but for stability higher voltage is given and regulated so that if there is any voltage variation on the the main line, the modem will always get +ve 5V. Since from the Laptop(or Desktop) USB it is always regulated, It works more than fine.

Samkong said:
Yes it is possible as the modem needs only +5V volt, even if we are connecting a 9V or 12V adapter, inside there is a 5V +ve regulator "LM7805" so power requirement is only +ve 5 Volt, but for stability higher voltage is given and regulated so that if there is any voltage variation on the the main line, the modem will always get +ve 5V. Since from the Laptop(or Desktop) USB it is always regulated, It works more than fine.

You are right man. I was able to successfully make a USB power cable for my Modem:clap:. As I use Auto power on and shut down for my PC for the downloads between 2 to 8, I was looking for this. My experiment went successful:hap2:, I powered UTSTARCOM WA3002G4 through USB port of my Desktop PC, which I use fr downloading the movies using BSNL's Night unlimited plan. Any one looking for any help PM me, will be glad to share my experience.:hap2:

Back