How to power Airtel/BSNL Modem from laptop ?

For this you need just USB type B to USB type A cable...USB type B is used in most Beetel modems...USB Type A is normal USB port present in your computer...

Just for information: -I think so many of our TE members might have done it, but for those who haven't tried this can easily do it to share broad band between two computers: One via Ethernet and one via USB. Connect your ADSL modem in one computer via Ethernet provided you have configured it to auto dial and the other via USB(you need to install the required USB driver). That way you can share Broad band between two computers without ethernet switch.

Ryunosuke
you rock!

i'm gonna try to get that cable tomorrow :D
power cut fooks up my 200MB downloads, just when the d/l reaches 95% :mad:

Ryunosuke said:
^Dunno about Beetel modems but the Type B USB port in UTStarcom modems is for data, not power.
Yes I realized my fault...well you can make that type of cable...in mobile shops i have seen charging cables which convert one type of pin to other...get one of those which fits in your modem and get a normal USB cable...cut and remove the unwanted ends from both cables and solder the wanted ones and you are done ;)

Konquerror said:
Yes I realized my fault...well you can make that type of cable...in mobile shops i have seen charging cables which convert one type of pin to other...get one of those which fits in your modem and get a normal USB cable...cut and remove the unwanted ends from both cables and solder the wanted ones and you are done ;)

Nope, dont waste your time using such items. You have to use a DC power pin. Cut one end of USB extension cable, solder the cut end to the DC pin. Thats all You are done. It may be little confusing when you cut open the USB cale as you have four wires from USB whereas only two in DC pin. Use Red and Black for power. Green and White is for data. It works for sure.:hap2:

All this is great but why don't you just get a simple 9 / 12 V SLA battery used generally in rechargeable lanterns and use a similar circuits used in the lanterns to power your model. This way your router/model will always be on even when power fails and will work for hours on battery which will automatically get recharged when power is back.

sanjeevgpc said:
All this is great but why don't you just get a simple 9 / 12 V SLA battery used generally in rechargeable lanterns and use a similar circuits used in the lanterns to power your model. This way your router/model will always be on even when power fails and will work for hours on battery which will automatically get recharged when power is back.
can you link me to such tutorial

Sanjeev, Why invest in battery & charge circuits when you get power just with USB connection.

@trip007in

Do you mind meeting & show me the cable. Dont have solder device, can you help with it ? If you are ok, PM me your area & contact no pls.

if you have a laptop & a wireless modem/router, connecting it to laptop doesnt sound portable :p

sometimes i like to have the laptop on my laps :p

come to think of it, are there any UPS available for Rs.500?
requirement- just to power the modem.

I just want to power up modem in nights from laptop USB coz power supply is pathetic. Even if power goes for 2 mints all download goes for a mess. Nights prefer to keep laptop near modem not on my lap so not a problem :)

@trip007in Waiting for your answer

the power requirement of beetel 220bx is 5v,1A(wi-fi ones have different and higher req)...u wont get older airtel old usb modem in stock or any means....the new FW from airtel even disables the usb port of 220bx...usb is cause of many probs and corruptions... hence the new model 110bx only has ethernet .......

cable can be custom made .....get the adapter pin from a chinese multivolt adapter cut and join with usb cable(hdd usb1.0 cable ) ........

For folks, who might still doubt if its possible

I have been using the USB powered modem for 2 years now, this one -->

EZ Connect SMC7003-USB V.2 DSL Modem (SMC7003USBV2MODEM) - Computer Modems - Shopping.com UK

very handy for office work with laptop, sure shot backup for 2 hours or till the time laptop keeps running :p

makes WFH very handy :D

Arihant.EXE said:
USB to DC 3.5mm 5V Power Cable for PCMCIA Cable #35 - eBay (item 390121361318 end time Dec-20-09 21:15:09 PST)

for $0.99 you can get it delivered to your doorstep.. free shipping .. takes a bit of time though.. my shipments arrive within no more than 16-17 days.

super find, have u bought and tested it, does it really work!

Praks said:
@trip007in has already done it. Wish he is ready to show me how to make such a cable.

Pls reply.

Hi Praksh,
Sorry to respond late but I did not visit techenclave for so many days today I saw ur post. I am from Yelahanka, Bangalore. Where r u from? I can help u out for one of these custom made cables. I too did not knew about this but was curious and I just went n did this experiment and it worked. So tell me what help you need?

You can use a DC pin for example you can cut out and an old WLL phone adaptor pin otherwise known as DC pin or can get it from local electronic repair stores. get one USB extension cable. Cut one end of the USB cable near the the point of external USB drive insertion and join the Black and red cables from the USB cable with the DC pin according to their polarity, remeber Black is ground (-) and Red is +. Do not connect Green and White cables as they are for for data transfer. Thats all you are done with the cable.

I was looking for such a cable to start my modem along with the PC and shut it down when PC shuts down during the scheduled download between 2 to 8 AM (BSNL N/UL connection). It is doing a great job for me. I am not interested in powering my modem during the power cuts as I have a inverter back up to take care of power.

Back