Audio how to protect iems from physical damage?

4m!7

Adept
Hey guys,
Just wanted to ask you how do you take care of your iems.
I have soundmagic pl11 and pl21. Both of them lasted for not more than 2 months :( .
Now i'll be getting replacement pieces. how do i take care of them? :)

There is no Hard and Fast rule for this. Make shure you do not pull the cables,keep away from children,do not share to people that dont know the value of them.Always keep them in the pouch provided.Dont dump them in tight bags,as I do. The max duration that a pair last me was close to 9 months ( Daily usage). Rest depends on your luck.

This is the reason, the max warranty they provide is 1 yr. The companies are very much sure about their durability.

Only solution, spend money wisely on IEMs with replaceable cables.

well in this regard the S4 served me vey well, 1.4 years now and no problems

and they have 2 year warranty as well!!

You have to keep them in the case provided hard and fast rule.( as stated by thenvk)

you can repair it your self , you just have to know what the TRS( or TRRS) in a stereo jack are being used for.

in general, T-R-S stands is for left channel , right channel and ground respectively.

you cna fint the male stereo jack at a local radio/TV/electronics shop. Solder it yourself or find someone.

better gold plated connectrs are harder to find ...but can always be ordered.

no its easy . the wires sure are thin but the connectors in the jack are big. so there is very little chance for you to get it wrong.

again if you are unsure , you can always take them to a repair shop and get them soldered

In almost all cases the IEMs go dead because of the cable and not because of any damage or fault in driver. The cable can be damaged by abusive usage knowingly or unknowingly . Never bend your cables too much .Even if you wrap them around your player or around 3-4 of your fingers before keeping them in the case , make sure you wrap them very loosly and not very tight.

Also in the cables the 3 main parts which are prone to damage are the cable near the 3.5mm connector , the split part and the end connector entering the driver housing .That's is the reason these 3 parts are usually covered with stain reliefs and I lay a lot of stress on good build quality of cables, strain relief etc in reviews.

While removing the IEMs from your ears , never pull them out by the cable. Either catch hold of the housing or stain relief and then pull it out . Similarly if your player is in your jeans or pocket/bag , never pull it out by the cable as this can result in loose connection or stretching of cable near the 3.5mm connector.

Also prevent the IEMs from water/moisture etc .Don't use them in rains . One more important thing is not to use them just after a bath when your ears are filled with water / moisture.Can easily damage the drivers or choke the filter with wet ear wax resulting in sound imbalance.

This is all I can think for now .Hope it helps .

^ So you are saying we shouldn't use IEMs while jogging etc ? I have even screwed up my mp3 player (Sansa Clip) recently when using it while running, as I sweat a lot !

Its precisely the reason I am looking for a good deal on the Sennheiser MX 380. Any other good sturdy IEM's around there ? (am I digressing?)

no, arrange them well before jogging and also its better to wear the IEMs over the ear ( if the design permits ), casue this way they wont fall down,

lastly for jogging use small players (preferably clip on players like shuffle) , and DO NOT KEEP the PLAYER BELOW YOUR WAIST while jogging.

Most IEMs won't last long with aggressive running etc .Jogging should fine .Basically depends on how much pull and sweat they are exposed to. If you want it for such particular purposes its always best to go for something with tough built quality and suitable design . MEEElectronics M6 is very well suited for this purpose. Even the Brainwavz M2 should work well over the ears.

Also after or in between your jogging sessions you should clean off the sweat of your IEMs/ears. Make sure you dont let any sweat /water seep into the players 3.5mm jack by running on the cable.

Back