PC Peripherals How to record a clear voice on PC for a call or voice-over?

lockhrt999

Not a Fan.
Skilled

Currently, I'm struggling with clear audio capture from the mic when I'm on a call on Discord or doing voice-over using OBS. If I don't do noise suppression, my mic records all kinds of noises including my mechanical keyboard. If I do enable noise suppression (in Discord or in OBS), my voice gets muffled and some initial part of the voice is lost. I'm using the mic on the Logitech gaming headset G635. Apart from this gaming headset, I have tried the mic of my webcam and the mics of my wireless earbuds.

Can the condenser mic from the above Amazon listing help my situation? If not what else can I do?

I have always been amazed to see how people speak with a very clear voice on youtube. Even my associates who use laptops' inbuilt mics have a very clear voice. I can't seem to make my voice clear and professional.

You have to do fiddling as every sound card and mic has different sensitivity levels.
I had to play and try various combinations and settings before zeroing on a setting though purpose was a bit different but the end result paid-off..

Your only setting zone is Control panel- Sound where you have to dive deep almost on every device tying to disable/enable and get the right tuning.
Dont rely on those Realtek etc. fancy app/taskbar settings its useless unless having plug-play issues.

You have to also disable other interfering sound inputs/outputs on devices like keyboards, monitors etc.

Most importantly, ensure mic hissing is at the lowest as it cannot be completely eliminated due to sound card been onboard + speakers connected and various other devices interference factors.

1691253558728.png
1691253570607.png
1691253585845.png

Dont rely on those Realtek etc. fancy app/taskbar settings its useless unless having plug-play issues.

You have to also disable other interfering sound inputs/outputs on devices like keyboards, monitors etc.

Most importantly, ensure mic hissing is at the lowest as it cannot be completely eliminated due to sound card been onboard + speakers connected and various other devices interference factors.
I agree with other devices interfearing into mic if it was analog. But all 3 mics I have tried are USB. So no soundcard is used. No interference.

You have to do fiddling as every sound card and mic has different sensitivity levels.
I had to play and try various combinations and settings before zeroing on a setting though purpose was a bit different but the end result paid-off..
The only sound control I have is the mic level.
1691259708748.png

Other than that, mics are controlled by the apps like Discord and OBS. I have problem with them only. The apps record way too much surrounding noise if there's no noise suppression filter applied. But if noise filters are applied then the sound comes out muffled. And these noise suppressing filters get activated with some audio gain. So there's a little delay. That makes the apps not record the very start of my voice.

Last edited:
I agree with other devices interfearing into mic if it analog. But all 3 mics I have tried are USB. So no soundcard is used. No interference.

The only sound control I have is the mic level.
View attachment 174624

Other than that, mics are controlled by the apps like Discord and OBS. I have problem with them only. The apps record way too much surrounding noise if there's no noise suppression filter applied. But if noise filters are applied then the sound comes out muffled. And these noise suppressing filters get activated with some audio gain. So there's a little delay. That makes the apps not record the very start of my voice.
Oh! I used regular lin-in and mic (gree/pink jack) headphones so had many options.

A friend of mine purchased some steelseries headphones for 6k that had a mic. He bought it only because his laptop mic was terrible. Guess what? His headphone mic was just a tiny improvement over his laptop, it still had this weird muffled low bitrate voice over discord.
I don't know if any of these headphone mics are any good, so far every single one under any budget just seem crap.

Earphone mics on the other hand (chifi specifically) I have no idea what makes them work so well but they are really really good. They're much better than your standard gaming headphone mic and webcam mic. They're not on the line of professional mics of course but they are surprisingly the best mics I've heard so far that are cheap and are inbuilt with the device. I've recorded random karaoke sessions with my friends on discord and mine was amongst the clearest and 'Nicest soudning' of all their gaming mics lmao.

The earphone I was using back then was the kz zsn pro so I'm assuming most of the kz cables will have the same mic. Currently using a blon bl03 but I'm not happy with the build quality and mic on this, the kz one is far superior.

+1 for @Rezep
I am using the same earphones and the mic quality is pretty servicable, no complaints of muffled noise. Just make sure to turn down your fan speed or use AC before recording the audio (for voice overs). You can try this model - https://www.headphonezone.in/products/kz-edx-pro?_pos=2&_sid=a9b026d69&_ss=r Its the cheapest KZ with detachable cables, but pretty decent.

If your computer has a separate mic input, you can of course buy a lav mic, probably the best sound improvement.

If you have an RTX gpu give this a shot.

Tried this but the voice becomes too processed & even can 'break' the voice while recording sometimes.

Use a dead cat on the mic? It's a fluffy cloth that reduces air/wind noise a lot. You can make your own using a sponge cover i think.

Look into dynamic mics vs condenser mics, condenser mic will pick up everything but in dynamic mic it just picks up what's in front of it, downside is you have to be very close to the mic like 3 inches.

Start with cheaper options, like this one might work.
https://www.amazon.in/MAONO-Microphone-Voice-Over-Technology-Card-PD100/dp/B0BZPCN1BK/

But this is a XLR microphone, you would have to buy an audio interface to connect it to the PC. A good one might be expensive then the mic itself, but in your case you could get away with a cheaper one.

All this could be overkill, but a lot of streamers use dynamic mic to cut off the keyboard & other surround sounds which is usually right next to the mic.

Last edited:
I'm in similar boat trying to make audition record line in ( yamaha e473 ) + Fifine USB mic .
MAC allows to create aggregate audio devices. On Windows you can try asio4all .

Back