How to repair damaged or corrupted files?

While i was changing the harddisk, unknowing i formatted a partition which had ~180gb of data.

Now i used data recovery tools like getbackdata and got back all the data.

But here is the main problem, iam unable to open any of the recovered files!

This partition had all the gate setup ISOs.

When i try to open the iso using Ultra ISO or any other image mounting software, i get the message "File Corrupted or file not supported" even though the size of the recovered file is same as it was before the recovery.. :mad:

Now how can i repair those files.? I can't imagine to download 180 gb data again :(

U can't. Data Recovery softwares doesn't provides guarantee about the recovered data. They recover as much as they can. Well.....U can try again to recover the data.

@dreams, yes. we all know that data recovery softwares can be used. Please be more specific.

@photostarSR, Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery is one tool that is very effective in data recovery. But it is paid software.

http://stellar.fileburstcdn.net/StellarPhoenixWindowsDataRecovery.exe

Download the tool. Till you purchase and enter the key, you can preview the list of files that can be recovered and then decide whether to purchase the key or not.

for free tool, check Recuva. (download: Recuva - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com)

Note: No data is lost. There is always a way to recovery data unless you use a DOD certified disc eraser :)

hi desii, I didnt mention the name of the software since I forgot what I used.

Thnx to vivek, I used r-studio. This did the job very well. I formatted my HDD and installed Win 7 over it. Then realised I saved all my personal stuffs in it. Movies, songs, photos, docs et all. Tried many softwares, but didnt do the job well, then after a week, used this r-studio and recovered all my stuffs. r-studio is paid software, but who cares to buy it in India.

Thanks for the replies guys.

But the sad news is data is gone(corrupted i must say) :(

Its not the first time i am recovering lost data..have done it several times using various softwares. But this is the first time i was not successful in recovering.

Anyways, i have already started to download the lost data again :p

@ OP: If you've not overwritten data on the partition, it should be recoverable. Did you reformat the partition into a different File system than the one it had before ?

In any case, You should try recovering agan .. I remember recovering a file with "PC inspector file recovery" unsuccessfully but later tried again after selecting "raw data" ....and voila ! the recovery was successful....

Just don't write to the partition till you're sure that nothing else can be done. :).

Back