Audio how to repair headphone

The left side of my PX100 went kaput today. is there anyway that it can be repaired. i love those headphones and its only been a year that ive been using them. pls help

With use of a Multimeter you can check your left side headphone speaker.
If it gives about 16-34 ohs reading then your speaker is ok.
Now check the continuity of left section wire from speaker to headphone jack.

If left speaker is dead ie no reading on meter then say bye bye to your headphone.
If left cable is faulty then you can do some self modding and try to replace the cable with some cheap headphone.

First having a joint in wire is not a good idea, cause it will not last longer and will also look bad.
You can do is just buy some cheap headphone, Desolder the wires from it and solder it back on your headphone and there you go..it's like new.

Second if your wire have cut near the jack, just buy a new solderable jack pin and replace it.

@ Goto any electrical/electronic repairing shop and get it done.. don't do it by yourself if you don't have experience in soldering etc. :p . I have tried it on many headphones till date. it worked but I could do it properly and later in frustration I crushed them :p ..

Wow, the exact same thing happened with my PX100 :(

I am unable to find the 3.5 mm jack anywhere near my house in Bangalore. Anyone knows any shop that does such stuff in Koramangala?

well the problem is one can't get good quality 3.5mm jacks in a common electronics market.

all you get are cheap 10rs versions. two of my IEM are laying waste due to the unavailability of good quality jacks . I was too lazy to start a thread to enquire about their availability.

So can anybody guide us to a shop that deals in high quality 3.5 mm jacks.

The right earphone of my stock shuffle has started giving weird bass as if something has blasted inside it..... can that be repaired as well?

rdst_1 said:
well the problem is one can't get good quality 3.5mm jacks in a common electronics market.
all you get are cheap 10rs versions. two of my IEM are laying waste due to the unavailability of good quality jacks . I was too lazy to start a thread to enquire about their availability.

I guess we can order it from US. What say?

rdst_1 said:

The two main problems with poor quality plugs is the way the solder tags are attached and the fact that the stress is on the solder joint during use.

For the first problem, if the tag gets heated too much during soldering, the place where it actually meets the center conductor remains loose. The best way is to use a nose plier to hold the upstream side of the tag while soldering because the plier acts as a heatsink and permits only the solder area to be heated.

For the second problem, you need to use decent sleeves (preferably heat shrinkable) to cover the solder joint and wire so that the stress during use doesn't cause twisting motion on the joint itself.

If you take care, you can make do with almost any 3.5 mm stereo plug.

Back