PC Peripherals How to revive my desktop

Hi Guys,

The desktop at my home is really slow. Its a P4 2.8 Ghz +256 MB ram purchased way back in june 2003. The rest of the stuff is ok and functional. My dad uses it and he is fine with its performance :no:. Is there some way to revive the thing as I am low on budget (I was thinking of buying a compatible 1 or 2 gig ram DDR1) and buying a new mobo+proccy+ram wud not cost anywhere less than 5k.

Please help,

MHI

^^ Although u haven mentioned the primary purpose of the PC, m sure an additional Ram of 1Gb + will help for basic tasks. i had one too a year back and i managed to squeeze out a lot from it, although i had added a low end GFX card too for the same. And just to add to this DDR1 is kinda expensive. look around for any used ones in the market.

DarkAngel said:
Get a 512MB DDR1 used stick. Should be Rs.500~ if its out of warranty. Should certainly improve the performance.

Rightly said, memory stick of 512MB over 256 would be of noticeable improvement in windows XP.

RadioHeAd said:
^^ Although u haven mentioned the primary purpose of the PC, m sure an additional Ram of 1Gb + will help for basic tasks. i had one too a year back and i managed to squeeze out a lot from it, although i had added a low end GFX card too for the same. And just to add to this DDR1 is kinda expensive. look around for any used ones in the market.
Primary purpose will be normal net surfing and my dad is keen on learning stuff like WAMP and all...:D

ajab.ghajab said:
I think someone on TE was selling classified DDR RAMs. You might want to check with him.
Yeah saw that thread but I guess they were all 256MBs. Does it make sense to have 3 Rams of 256 MB instead of 256+ 512???

DarkAngel said:
Get a 512MB DDR1 used stick. Should be Rs.500~ if its out of warranty. Should certainly improve the performance.
Checked on Ebay and I am being quoted 750 +40 shipping

RadioHeAd said:
^^ 512 wudn make a significant difference. To see noticeable performance increase atleast 1gb is required.
In my laptop that combo dint do too well i.e. 256 + 512. I bought another 1gig lappy ddr1 for 2.3k but the laptop died a few days later. :mad: Was a 3.5yr old Acer :p

virus32win said:
Rightly said, memory stick of 512MB over 256 would be of noticeable improvement in windows XP.
Does the fact that I have 2.8ghz desktop proccy make a diff as I mentioned before that combo dint work well on my 1.6ghz turion based acer laptop

nitant said:
Uh huh and try formatting the system. That should add the zest back.
That is done way too regularly and doesnt do much benefit.

Guys I think I will open up my Cabinet and see how many Ram slots the motherboard has. Plus I will run some program (errrr CPUZ ???) to check the exact specifications and will post here.... new 1GB DDR1 costs nearly 2K and IMO its a total waste :p. I wish I could get one stick from my laptop and insert it to the desky. :p I know its not possible due to different size and because my lappy has DDr2...:cool2:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Back