How to set up a website for free

hatter

Skilled
Well, the subject line is self explanatory... please guide a noob to set up a website. To begin with I just want

<html> <head> </head> <body> Hello I am a web page! </body> </html>

on the web page.

The idea of this thread is to know what are the good free web hosts and what are the steps involved in creating a website. And no, blogs don't count.

As far as free web hosts go, check this out.

Steps:

1. Use a program like Frontpage to design your website.

2. Create your account with a web host. This will also include a sub-domain. (Eg. hatter.freehosts.com)

3. Access your web host's control panel, get to the File Manager and upload all your website related files. (You could also use a FTP program for uploads)

With that done, your website is pretty much LIVE! :)

You can buy a .info domain from Godaddy.com (which comes around Rs. 100 at sale); you will get a hosting credit for one year, and use it on the .info domain. IMO, it's not free, but good vfm.

thetoxicmind said:
As far as free web hosts go, check this out.

Steps:

1. Use a program like Frontpage to design your website.
2. Create your account with a web host. This will also include a sub-domain. (Eg. hatter.freehosts.com)
3. Access your web host's control panel, get to the File Manager and upload all your website related files. (You could also use a FTP program for uploads)

With that done, your website is pretty much LIVE! :)
This is just the reply you need

arun687 said:
1 - Sign up for a free domain name at CO.CC - Free Domain name registration + Free DNS service.

2 - Goto byethost.com and sign up for a free hosting account. I've been using them and the uptime and performance is as good as several paid hosts out there.

3 - Use a CMS to setup your customized website.

Here you have a 100% free 'Hello I am a web page!' website ready. :)

co.cc is marked as a spammers link in most of social websites which can reduce the possibilty of sharing link via email and IM. Use Dot TK - Renaming The Internet for a .tk domain. But with this you don't have a full DNS control.

Thanks for the reply :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Well, registered a domain, but didn't get any free hosting. Well, lets wait for at least a day, I think they need time to set it up :)

If your requirements are very basic you can use Google Sites as a free web host.

I personally like getting a domain and hooking it up to Google Apps to use their email / hosting.

Only downside with Google sites is that there doesnt seem to be an FTP/File browser like thing to download/upload your HTML files.

Crazy_Eddy said:
If your requirements are very basic you can use Google Sites as a free web host.

I personally like getting a domain and hooking it up to Google Apps to use their email / hosting.

Only downside with Google sites is that there doesnt seem to be an FTP/File browser like thing to download/upload your HTML files.
Yup, just want to host my blog, which I don't maintain that way regularly :D

iamddevil said:
@krishnandu...did you get your free hosting with mitsu.in yet?
Nope, when I mailed them they said it's already activated but I didn't got any details for cPanel yet. I keep mailing then, but they don't reply at all. :(

avi said:
Seems there service is not so good :(
I'm not at all satisfied, and wont refer to others too.

Just bought it after viewing .in domain is for 79/- though the domain purchase got activated within few mins.

I'm happy with Hostso.

But thats a web hosting provider, now which is good domain provider which accepts Indian cards or net banking like Mitsu ?

Back