How to Setup WIFI ?

Havok

Adept
Hey Dudes,

I am completely new to setting up wifi.
Can some one please guide me how to do it ??

I have tata indicom broadband at home.

Ok..

So, first, you have to buy a Wireless Router... I suggest to buy, Buffalo or Netgear...

NetGear KWGR614 is good...

You have to config your router in Router Config Panel via address - 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 mostly..

Rahulrulez said:
Ok..
So, first, you have to buy a Wireless Router... I suggest to buy, Buffalo or Netgear...
NetGear KWGR614 is good...
You have to config your router in Router Config Panel via address - 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 mostly..

Avoid Netgear if you can, i have one that is in cupboard, real panicky, whenever I use it, post 3-4 days I always have to reset it. If possible get buffalo.

~LT

linuxtechie said:
Avoid Netgear if you can, i have one that is in cupboard, real panicky, whenever I use it, post 3-4 days I always have to reset it. If possible get buffalo.

~LT
No issues faced here along with few of my friends who use them. :)

low_bass_makker said:
No issues faced here along with few of my friends who use them. :)

How many days dude? Have you visited Netgear forums? Amazon reviews? So many have listed there problem. Go ahead visit them. Besides Netgear is frugly.

~LT

Asuming tht i have bought wireless router

what to do after that.

I have tata indicom broadband , post paid connection

How do i set up wireless for multiple computers then ??

One more question is can i have both wireless and wired connection from same router ??

Dark,

I have wi-fi setup at home.

My desktop has windows xp and one on-board Ethernet and one pci ethernet.
Bsnl modem connected on-board port and Netgear WG602 on pci ethernet.

Now what i have done is i have made new bsnl broadband connection and from its properties i have selected internet sharing to my local area connection 2.

All ips are assigned automatically.

It is working smoothly.

Rahulrulez said:
Me too, never got such problem..

Btw.. Buffalo is amazing no doubts..

Try to contact TheITWares - Buy Computer Hardware , PC Components , Laptop Computers - One Stop for all Gizmos!!
They can ship you buffalo

Netgear sucks - I work for a WLAN chipset company and take my word for it - there are numerous bugs and BIG time performance problems in Netgear.

I'd strongly recommend Linksys 11g router for Home use. If you have the money go for the Linksys 11n routers!

- Anand

Dark Messiah said:
Asuming tht i have bought wireless router

what to do after that.

I have tata indicom broadband , post paid connection

How do i set up wireless for multiple computers then ??

One more question is can i have both wireless and wired connection from same router ??
sure it's really simple... just enter your pppoe details in the router page and make it dial to the modem which will establish connection with the pppoe server at Ip's end. then you can freely use both wireless and wired connections. it's your will :eek:hyeah: . you can use all the four ports in the router for wired connections and still use wireless :) . but remember your bandwidth will be shared equally . QOS depends on your router . setting up wi-fi is very very easy!

Thanx for all the advices

Wireless up and running in my house.

got a netgear router for 16.5 k

Hope it will last long.

reps to ya all for advices

Back