How to shift from DHCP to Static IP Addresses

I bought a TP link router & for the ease of use started using DHCP right from day 1.
Now I have 6 devices in the house & I am having some terrible problems with DHCP maybe bcoz I am not well versed with networking so read some articals & found that my problem can be solved by assigning static IPs to all my devices.

The problem I am facing using DHCP is that IP 192.168.1.100 suddenly changes to 192.168.1.101
so now I have to manually reconfigure all my devices every week I want to solve this using static IP where do I start doing this, do I need to reset my router to start pairing all new & then assign IPs to devices & give each device a name.

Here is my setup
I have TP link router Wireless Router,
1-wired computer connected to the router with wire (windows 7 x64)
1-wireless laptop XP pro
1 desktop computer XP pro
2 android mobiles
1 android tablet connected to wifi

I would like to know how I can assign my guest having laptop & mobile the wifi internet access? I have QSS on my router but never ever used that till now.

I guess issue is when the ip changes you are unable to access. Shared Maped drives from my computer ?

If that is true use computer name while mapping instead using ip

\\home-pc\myshare

Make DHCP reservations in the router. With this setting your specific machine gets the same IP no matter how many times it connects or re-connects to the WiFi network.
It should look somewhat like this..
dhcp.jpg

I use a mix of static and dynamic IPs on my network. The addresses are all logically configured and the DHCP server is configured to assign IPs only within a fixed range, pretty much the opposite of the above suggestion (though both work equally well).

So router assigns DHCP only between x.x.x.106 and x.x.x.111, every other IP are assigned within the operating system of fixed location clients (no router config is needed) - both wired and wireless, and the mobile clients use DHCP.

The trouble with assigning fixed IP to mobile clients is that network roaming becomes troublesome when you change location, but even this is fixable by using the 'Alternate configuration' tab. Since I also use mac filtering and my router behaves very erratically when both filtering and reserved IP are used simultaneously - and I have a higher number of fixed than mobile clients, this method seems to work better for me.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 142
I guess issue is when the ip changes you are unable to access. Shared Maped drives from my computer ?
If that is true use computer name while mapping instead using ip

\\home-pc\myshare
This I tried it works atleast for 1 of the laptop but all mobile devices loose internet access & I cant browse computer files, on mobile I use ES file explorer, all my mobile devices are rooted if that matters. On mobile Once I configure DHCP all I can now do is "forget" the old IPs then restart the router then search for wifi then it finds the new IPs then all start working fine but I have to manually edit IPs of mapped drives.

just add the mac id's of the machines which share shit, to static fixed ip's under the router. period.

clients and what not can use dhcp pool. this is not rocket science and can be done in 2 minutes. where exactly are you struggling?

just add the mac id's of the machines which share shit, to static fixed ip's under the router. period. clients and what not can use dhcp pool. this is not rocket science and can be done in 2 minutes. where exactly are you struggling?
I am struggling more bcoz I am new to networking, I am sure its easy as ABCD once I know all the terms I am seeing in the router page.

I am thinking would "IP & MAC binding" work better in my case?
as of now its disabled but what I understand that once it identifies MAC it will always assign a particular IP

So router assigns DHCP only between x.x.x.106 and x.x.x.111, every other IP are assigned within the operating system of fixed location clients (no router config is needed) - both wired and wireless, and the mobile clients use DHCP.
So I need to know which method will work best for my house?
The trouble with assigning fixed IP to mobile clients is that network roaming becomes troublesome when you change location, but even this is fixable by using the 'Alternate configuration' tab. Since I also use mac filtering and my router behaves very erratically when both filtering and reserved IP are used simultaneously - and I have a higher number of fixed than mobile clients, this method seems to work better for me.
I have to roam with 3 of my devices all 3 goes to office & I have to enable wifi & as of now it connects, same happen in college too. Since I am not so good with all this I want a simple method to configure network which works hassle free & is robust without frequent breakup & I am then trying to figure out whats wrong, why internet is not working etc.

I am struggling more bcoz I am new to networking, I am sure its easy as ABCD once I know all the terms I am seeing in the router page.

I am thinking would "IP & MAC binding" work better in my case?
as of now its disabled but what I understand that once it identifies MAC it will always assign a particular IP

every router is different post screenshots for faster and more device friendly help

YES "IP & MAC binding" IS THE OPTION. put in the mac's and assign fixed ip's,

AS of now I have enabled DHCP reservations in the router & assigned specific IPs to my devices MAC address, hopefully this should work now, will get to know after few days when normally it use to change the IPs.
Now I just need to learn how to assign QSS based guest access to people who come to my house, I do not want them to have network access browsing my drives I only want them to be able to connect to the internet.

Thanks for all the help & directions provided :)

AS of now I have enabled DHCP reservations in the router & assigned specific IPs to my devices MAC address, hopefully this should work now, will get to know after few days when normally it use to change the IPs.

you dont need to wait few days, just reboot the router once, voila new ip's should be assigned ( the fixed ones), its a 30 second reboot, and you should be set!

let me know if it works

If you want to give guest access to internet but not LAN - you will need to enable Guest SSID OR AP Isolation.

As for static IPs, this is how mine is - All static IPs I have assigned are from 192.168.1.X, X is 2-12, while other devices have been DHCPd and get from X>100.

Hello everyone!!

am facing a similar issue, and found this thread. instead of creating a new thread, i would like to continue writing here itself. Ranjan, i hope you won't mind.

i have MTNL's 450TC1 router. a few days back, i configured wifi on my PSP, and ever since, wifi on my laptop has turned off (i guess the PSP acquired the laptop's IP address, and hence there is a conflict; it was 192.168.1.3, which is now the PSP's IP). it won't connect to the network. i enabled DHCP on the router-page, bound the laptop through MAC-address filtering, but to no avail. i want to provide a static IP to the laptop in my router-page. i may be doing something wrong i think. not very well-versed in networking here either, hence seek some assistance. this MTNL router seems to be handicapped in providing detailed settings like other commercially available routers. for your facilitation, am providing a few screenshots of my router's settings pages:

Interface set-up; 'wireless' tab (here, i had activated 'wireless MAC address filter', with action as 'allow association', and provided laptop's MAC address; currently i have disabled it, as the laptop was still detecting DHCP as 'disabled' even when i had enabled it on the router-page):

IiitsBB.png

with DHCP enabled:

nBVKACs.png
nBVKACs.png

my cellphone, i have set it on a static IP, hence it stays out of conflict (earlier, that also used to get caught up in this mess when it was on DHCP, but android had an option to put the cell on a static IP, which i made use of swiftly).

please suggest how should i proceed.

P.S. - I have a PC connected to the router through the wire, an android cell, a PSP, and a laptop connected wirelessly to the network.[DOUBLEPOST=1377192272][/DOUBLEPOST]UPDATE: Damn it!!
i got it working now!! what i did was:

- enabled DHCP in my router.
- deleted the network-settings from my PSP.
- set the starting IP address as 192.168.1.2 in the DHCP-section of the router (which it was, prior the starting of this mess).
- and the laptop is connected to the network again!

however, this is just a temporary solution i deem. what should be done to provide a static IP to the laptop from the router? or should only MAC address association be done?

Last edited:
One issue I am facing both on tablet & mobile is that they keep shutting / loosing wifi signal for 2-3 sec which disconnects skype/viber calls & stops video streaming on youtube. Since I suspected that some app might be causing this problem (almost similar apps on tablet & mobile for battery saving) I disabled the easy battery saver but that doesn't solve the problem, I then uninstalled it even then the wifi is dropping every few mins for 2-3 sec.

This was never a problem earlier when I was on DHCP without mac association, just wondering what is causing this frequent wifi shut off momentarily, can you guys help or the real solution is to use static IPs only?

One issue I am facing both on tablet & mobile is that they keep shutting / loosing wifi signal for 2-3 sec which disconnects skype/viber calls & stops video streaming on youtube. Since I suspected that some app might be causing this problem (almost similar apps on tablet & mobile for battery saving) I disabled the easy battery saver but that doesn't solve the problem, I then uninstalled it even then the wifi is dropping every few mins for 2-3 sec.

This was never a problem earlier when I was on DHCP without mac association, just wondering what is causing this frequent wifi shut off momentarily, can you guys help or the real solution is to use static IPs only?

this happens with my cellphone (when am typing something on tapatalk , for say, 3-4 minutes, but reconnects when the page is refreshed. it behaves just like a 'sleep-mode' for wifi) even though i have assigned it a static IP (from the cellphone itself).

Last edited:
Back