OC & Modding How to solder rca connector ?

vishal2055

Disciple
I need to solder few rca connectors to make some cables.Now the rca connector has a hole in the middle which becomes the protruding pin of the connector and there is another stick like thing where one solders the other wire.That is not the problem the problem how to solder the main wire in that hole ??? should I just insert the wire in it and try to solder it ? It slips and doesnt make proper contact ..

Kindly help :)

5s67k.jpg

Sorry for pic quality.Snapped it with w810i.:-|

vishal2055 said:
should I just insert the wire in it and try to solder it ? It slips and doesnt make proper contact ..

You need to do what you've mentioned already! Just remove the other connection and remove a lengthy portion of insulation from the center wire, twist it properly, insert it into the hole and have it soldered from outside. Solder the wire for the external bit. That should do.

Figuring out this - was it so hard?

I knew that already but I wanted to know if there was some other way (proper) to do it.Coz when I insert the wire inside and try to solder at the hole the solder merely adheres to the surface for sometime and then it just gets loose.Thereby the connection gets loose.I hope you are getting what I am trying to say.

I asked the local electrical vendor about it.His perspective is to pass the central wire straight through the rod.There is an opening in the rod at the end.There the wire is to be pulled out and solder at that point.

So I was confused.

The way a wire adheres to normal metal surfaces and the way it does to that "hole" is totally different.And there is no way to make the contact point clean as one does for other surfaces so that the tin contacts properly.

^

For this type of connector, the hard pin, which goes into the hole it is not soldered. Though you can, shave on the wire quite a bit..and on the back side, which will get covered, heavy solder it. But it will come out when the connector jack (female) from the other end will apply pressure on the wire, when contact is made.

vishal2055 said:
when I insert the wire inside and try to solder at the hole the solder merely adheres to the surface for sometime and then it just gets loose.Thereby the connection gets loose.I hope you are getting what I am trying to say.

use flux(soldering paste) apply little amount of soldering paste on wire as well as the metal. then place wire on the metal and try to solder.:)

Back