How to stop approx 2,00,000 DNS queries / 24 hours to China by my generic Huawei HG8120 FTTH modem

I think you are able to set custom DNS; just set a bogus public IP to blackhole it and let wireless clients set their DNS on their own. You can install cloudflare DNS app on both iOS and Android and for desktop set it manual once and forget. However if IPs are hardcoded then just buy some wd40 or petrol and enjoy the fire.
Have you tried contacting ISP support and threatening them for legal actions since Huawei is banned?
I think Huawei and ZTE got banned from 5G trials and related network setup. Almost all 5g radios and companion tech is directly/indirectly made in china so that basically means nothing but yeah they are not banned completely IIRC.

Last edited:
LCO doesn't have time for this....
His interest is specifically less as modem is self purchase & not from him

All will shrug off responsibility on basis that it's customer purchase

I have no idea about original model numbers of Syrotech & other BSNL modems/ONU given by LCOs
I think you are able to set custom DNS; just set a bogus public IP to blackhole it and let wireless clients set their DNS on their own. You can install cloudflare DNS app on both iOS and Android and for desktop set it manual once and forget. However if IPs are hardcoded then just buy some wd40 or petrol and enjoy the fire.

I think Huawei and ZTE got banned from 5G trials and related network setup. Almost all 5g radios and companion tech is directly/indirectly made in china so that basically means nothing but yeah they are not banned completely IIRC.
Too many devices & less IT savvy people (read wife who will kill me) for placing a Bogus DNS IP

As I have said I do have Adguard DNS paid subscription
I have always found threats work better. Solution is simpler: ISP can give other brand router
Purchased Tplink XC220- G3v which is lying in box due to patch cable requirement
Require a SC/UPC to SC/APC & coupler
Didn't find time to set it up

Last edited:
I have always found threats work better. Solution is simpler: ISP can give other brand router
My tryst with Tplink - https://broadband.forum/threads/ten...fiber.219757/page-4?post=1604947#post-1604947

Then got busy with Life for trials
Just asking, do you have any benefit with BSNL as ISP? Like in your are any other ISP are not available.
Kuch nahi hai yaha...
No Airtel or Jio
No mobile 4g signal of Airtel or Jio
5G has recently come so picked up a phone for hotspot

Any Fiber expert here
I have Tplink XC220-G3V

I require this patch cable SC/UPC to SC/APC
&
Coupler Sc To Sc Fiber Coupler

Now what's the difference from the Amazon link & these Mftretail couplers
They have
1db
3db
5db
7db
10db loss couplers
Which one to buy ?

Last edited:
how long you are facing this issue?

have you tried wire shark to check any other doing this like disconnect all other device for the router and monitor the router if you see same amount of requests then your router firmware is the issue and upgrade or router firmware are not possible cause they are pre-configured OEM devices. So the end solution will to make replace to a device who is not from a Chinese brand from your ISP

My tryst with Tplink - https://broadband.forum/threads/ten...fiber.219757/page-4?post=1604947#post-1604947

Kuch nahi hai yaha...
No Airtel or Jio

Any Fiber expert here
I have Tplink XC220-G3V

&

They have
1db
3db
5db
7db
10db loss couplers
Which one to buy ?

your plan is fibre right?

Last edited:

Kuch nahi hai yaha...
No Airtel or Jio

Any Fiber expert here
I have Tplink XC220-G3V

&

They have
1db
3db
5db
7db
10db loss couplers
Which one to buy ?
why dont you use your existing fiber patch /the one which was used with hawa mei .and the connectors are removable skills and eqp required. i recommend directly buying new fiber PATCH with correct connector .Couplers dont work

Last edited:
now just speak plain english .What is the far end device (ODN connector type being used does it work on UPC or APC )

your new device just supports APC it doesn't have capability to understand UPC signals

your old hwamei device has a niche capability that the Fiber port supported both UPC and APC And in the photograph it was Blue connector = UPC .

so you are bounded to device selection by your upstream port capability
your this post confirms

1703961822508.png

you took out other peoples internet as you all are sharing same splitter.

Last edited:
how long you are facing this issue?

have you tried wire shark to check any other doing this like disconnect all other device for the router and monitor the router if you see same amount of requests then your router firmware is the issue and upgrade or router firmware are not possible cause they are pre-configured OEM devices. So the end solution will to make replace to a device who is not from a Chinese brand from your ISP

your plan is fibre right?
YES 100mbps
2 Years back when i started using NextDNS/ Adguad / Pihole - https://techenclave.com/threads/pihole-should-be-a-must.195036/
your new device just supports APC it doesn't have capability to understand UPC signals
your old hwamei device has a niche capability that the Fiber port supported both UPC and APC And in the photograph it was Blue connector = UPC .
so you are bounded to device selection by your upstream port capability
Huawei was blue
Tplink was Green fiber port
You took out other peoples internet as you all are sharing same splitter.
Thats why still on this Huawei shit and 3k new fiber modem lying in storage since 1 year
now just speak plain english .What is the far end device (ODN connector type being used does it work on UPC or APC )
my fiber patch cable is blue - UPC

YES 100mbps
2 Years back when i started using NextDNS/ Adguad / Pihole - https://techenclave.com/threads/pihole-should-be-a-must.195036/

Huawei was blue

Thats why still on this Huawei shit and 3k new fiber modem lying in storage since 1 year

Hey if your comnection is just 100 mbps why not get a fibre to ethernet converter, that would solve everything elegantly...I mean you would have already thought of that but is it costly or you have some other reason to not do that? (PS. my fibre is a bit rusty)

For linux users , Have telnet into modem
@vivek.krishnan told to check and delete the script running as cron job
i an on a WAP prompt
What to do now ?
Screenshot 2023-12-31 004247.png

Hey if your comnection is just 100 mbps why not get a fibre to ethernet converter, that would solve everything elegantly...I mean you would have already thought of that but is it costly or you have some other reason to not do that? (PS. my fibre is a bit rusty)
How will it solve?
I require a modem to dial PPPoE

Last edited:
not supported you require an ONT.

YES 100mbps

Huawei was blue

the math of Loss /power budgeting

your Loss as per hawamei

and you are trying green port =apc on your end ( already resulting in no network ) and than you are thinking to use adapter it will further more introduce more los . wont help your cause . get a different modem router which supports UPC.

but give it a try

tplink ->> both the end green patchcord >>> adapter green side adapter blue side >>> bsnl blue connector .might work

Last edited:
Your Loss as per hawamei

latest

Screenshot 2023-12-31 012025.png

and you are trying green port =apc on your end ( already resulting in no network ) and than you are thinking to use adapter it will further more introduce more los . wont help your cause . get a different modem router which supports UPC.
working perfectly for other BSNL users

Not necessarily that it will work . those working tolerances are on your box .telco will use the cheapest with different tolerance level /lower tolerance level

i have updated my previous comment .

but give it a try

tplink ->> both the end green patch cord >>> adapter green side adapter blue side >>> bsnl blue connector .might work .

Another blindspot or things you cannot control is the whole plumbing could change overnight due to fiber cut on road re routing which would introduce loss and resulting in los

another trickery that could be used is if your hawamei supports bridge mode than it will act as mediaconverter

bridge fiber to any of the ethernet port

Followed by testing it using ethernet port of laptop/ PC

if this is successful , you buy a normal router or check your new tplink could apply PPPOE on the LAN ethernet ports or not if not check for custom firmware's which could allow you that

Last edited:
i have shell
Screenshot 2023-12-31 014525.png

Screenshot 2023-12-31 014557.png

ps shows above with a CRYPTO
Top shows below with no CRYPTO
Screenshot 2023-12-31 014948.png

Am i mining crypto for PLA ?

Last edited:
i have shell
View attachment 186900

View attachment 186901
ps shows above with a CRYPTO
Top shows below with no CRYPTO
View attachment 186903

Am i mining crypto for PLA ?
@rahuljawale @vivek.krishnan
if you have SSH access enabled than that process would use cryptographic services shortly the PID could be known as crypto similarly if your GUi uses http"s" to provide secure communication that too will use cryptographic services
this video might help someone .the chap shares BSNL`s test account for internet :oops:

Back