How to Store/Keep the consoles for long time untouched?

Zinc

Adept
I constantly need to pack my consoles (PS3 and Xbox360) for long periods of times, sometimes months, while I'm away from home.

I need to know the usual precautions that need to be taken while storing such items for long periods, which can be upto 6 months.

Anyone?

Thanks!

the best thing is to keep it away from dust cause the dust will make the lens problem.

so clean and pack it in the console box.

There isn't any hard and fast rule here. Preserve the consoles/controllers/accessories in the same way you would do to other consumer electronic devices such as a DSLR. Keep them in a dust-free location (possibly the original packaging itself as suggested by green) or in a shelf. Do not forget to add a packet of silica gel to ensure that moisture is kept away.

Remove the batteries from the remotes/X360 controller.

Thanks Gannu n Green!

Actually I yesterday opened up my consoles which had been kept packed in their original packing for around 3 months and I found that the analogue sticks of the PS3 controller were very damp.

May be it was absorbing moisture.

So, will the silica gel keep it off?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Thanks Gannu n Green!

Actually I yesterday opened up my consoles which had been kept packed in their original packing for around 3 months and I found that the analogue sticks of the PS3 controller were very damp.
May be it was absorbing moisture.

So, will the silica gel keep it off?

^I face the same problem - particularly with the DS3 controller! The analog sticks' seem to bleed a damp greasy substance after it remains untouched for a few days. I recall, this instance was similar to the one wherein those Cello Gripper pens which had the rubber grip used to develop the same oily damp thingy! The X360 controller OTOH doesn't have such problems.

Just wipe it off with a damp cloth. Seems we aren't the only ones facing the problem - ds3 analog sticks oily - Google Search

Not sure if the silica gel can keep this thing off but it definitely keeps moisture away.

asingh said:
^^

Is that some lube leaking out. For the ball socket joint of the sticks on the DS3..?

Yeah like some lube on the top surface of the analog stick. Not the ball joint. :p

I need a replacement for the DS3. The battery has given up it appears. Charged it completely and the low-battery indicator keeps popping up on the display soon enough. The other alternative is to order a replacement battery from Dealextreme.

I would suggest wrraping up the console with a cloth to prevent dust from entering the console, the dualshock should be fine, no need to worry about it.

Back