How to use a Nvme SSD as Sata Drive

I dont think your nvme drive is going to work in a sata adaptor. The orico product listed is for m.2 sata drive to be used as a 2.5 inch drive.

Also is this a nvme slot or m.2 slot ?
3607D28B-A4F4-46C2-B2F1-76937034BFCB.jpeg

M2 and Nvme normally uses Same connector. Nvme is protocol while M2 is form factor.
The above is where I attach my HDD caddy with normal data ssd. So I will be able to directly use the Samsung evo plus 970 in it, right ?

Last edited:
The above is where I attach my HDD cabby with normal data ssd. So I will be able to directly use the Samsung evo plus 970 in it, right ?
I am unable to understand your statement, my bad.

You are currently using a HDD caddy: what is the interface/type of caddy?
And normal data SSD : What type of SSD it is? SATA or M2

What you plan on doing is a backwards step, maybe you should explain your situation and use case first.
If you have someone in the US, you get this for around $50.

Ok, So If what @psyph3r said is true and if I understand it clearly, you have a usb to sata casing where you can plug a normal sata sdd.

Now you have a NvME SDD that you want to connect to this caddy and hence you wanted a nvme to sata converter.

Well, in that case as @psyph3r suggested you should buy a NvME to usb casing instead. It's available on Amazon India for around 3K.

Or, for some reason you still want a NvME to SATA adaptor, you can buy this

Ok, So If what @psyph3r said is true and if I understand it clearly, you have a usb to sata casing where you can plug a normal sata sdd.

Now you have a NvME SDD that you want to connect to this caddy and hence you wanted a nvme to sata converter.

Well, in that case as @psyph3r suggested you should buy a NvME to usb casing instead. It's available on Amazon India for around 3K.

Or, for some reason you still want a NvME to SATA adaptor, you can buy this

That is not a NVME to SATA adaptor either. That is a U.2 adaptor that looks like it is SATA, but still operates using PCIe.

I have no idea if what caddy interface it has. I am using an hp pallivion for 2017 which had the dvd drive. I removed it and bought a sata ssd and a caddy for the same. currently I will be getting a 512 or 500 gb samsung evo plus 970 version. this will be used in my desktop for sometimes and later on I am planning to move it to my laptop which don't have a nvme port. so I am searching for a solution.

Thing is even the external USB interface I linked to will only give you a third of the speed when used through USB unless connected using thunderbolt, you'll only get those 3k+ MBps read/write speeds only when using an NVMe port.
Also NVMe drive performance is barely noticeable over the usual mainstream SATA SSDs for the casual user, yes your PC will wake up from sleep almost immediately and your boot time will be a couple of seconds faster but unless you work with extremely large files constantly there's no benefit whatsoever.
Why will you be moving your NVMe drive from the desktop ? using a 970 in a 2017 Pavilion makes no sense and is a waste of money.

Last edited:
Thing is even the external USB interface I linked to will only give you a third of the speed when used through USB unless connected using thunderbolt, you'll only get those 3k+ MBps read/write speeds only when using an NVMe port.
Also NVMe drive performance is barely noticeable over the usual mainstream SATA SSDs for the casual user, yes your PC will wake up from sleep almost immediately and your boot time will be a couple of seconds faster but unless you work with extremely large files constantly there's no benefit whatsoever.
Why will you be moving your NVMe drive from the desktop ? using a 970 in a 2017 Pavilion makes no sense and is a waste of money.
That ssd will be used in ho laptop for some time then it will be used back to a nvme slot. So nvme ssd instead of a sata ssd.

Back