How To USE Unsigned Drivers In 64 Bit Windows 7

I was been struggling with installing RIVA TUNER 2.24 on my Windows 7 64 bit system.

But later through some search i understand that, Microsoft has made it SIGNED drivers mandatory for Windows 7 and 2008R2, for it's benefits/good performance..

i found this.

Disable Driver Signing in Windows 7

While this method worked for me in windows vista 64 bit, you may find some steps are not necessary on your system.

I found that Windows 7 makes not only loading unsigned drivers difficult, BUT even if they do load, they wont work. So this method is broken into two parts. The first parts deals with actually loading the unsigned drivers, The second deals with getting them to be accepted and working.

LOADING UNSIGNED DRIVERS
This for some can be straight forward. At boot up hit F8 and select the option in the menu for unsigned drivers. This will allow you to load the drivers. However on my system I couldn't do this and instead got BIOS boot options. So another way to allow loading of unsigned drivers is

1. Open Windows 7
2. Press Win+R keys together to open the run dialog box and type - gpedit.msc
3. Expand the folders in order or <Administrative Templates> - <User Configuration> - <System> - <Driver Installation>.
4. On the right you will see a icon <Code Signing for Device Drivers> , double click that
5. Click <enable> button at the top, and <Ignor > at the bottom to ignor any signature check.
6. hit apply, ok and close everything
7. Reboot or in "Run" window type the command "gpupdate /force"
this will enfoce the group policy update that time itself..

Now the computer will load any drivers anytime.
This solves loading the driver. I still found Windows 7 would not allow the drivers I loaded to run.

RUNNING LOADED UNSIGNED DRIVERS

I found a neat program that will allow the unsigned drivers to work. Basically its a method that allows testers to test drivers without going thru the dramas of getting a signature from M$. The program is found here, search for "Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b" or "dseo13b.exe". It also can be found with a google serach.

NGOHQ.com

The load instructions are simple. As usual TURN OFF UAC.

1. Run dseo13b.exe program
2. click "enable test mode". This allows 64 bit Windows 7 to be used for testing drivers
3. I rebooted to be safe, and you will see a faint test mode print in the corner
4. Now open Device Manager and find the location of the unsigned drivers that wont work, by expanding Properties and Driver Details. Your looking for something like C:\Windows\System32\drivers\xxxxxxx.sys
4. Run dseo13b.exe program again
5. This time select "sign a system file" and put in the location of the file you found in Device Manager
6. Repeat for all files in question then close. You have now assigned a signature to those files
7. Reboot
Hope this helps lot of people.. :hap2:

:hap2: It works for MY RIVA TUNER driver file and windows 7 64bit ultimate

So follow read the instructions carefully and follow it..

If all goes well viola!!!!, you now have your unsigned drivers working and all is well.

Its a good guide, but it didn't ask me for anything during RivaTuner installation on Win7 x64. It went through fine along with the 64bit driver. :)

And hellboy, u should avoid unsigned drivers as much as possible for ur system to be stable.

clown_abhi said:
Its a good guide, but it didn't ask me for anything during RivaTuner installation on Win7 x64. It went through fine along with the 64bit driver. :)

And hellboy, u should avoid unsigned drivers as much as possible for ur system to be stable.

Really?. which version were you using.

i used the ISO directly downloaded from TECHNET.

got rivatuner from nVIDIA Geforce 285 260 9800 275 295 GT GTX AMD ATI Radeon HD 4850 4870 4890 X2 - Guru of 3D: PC Hardware Reviews

enabled TESTSIGNING ON, installed rivatuner.. but didnt worked..

any one else has tried yet? most of the forums people are discussing about this, since they mentioned were also not able to install some drivers.

might be u have a RivaTuner setup, which has a signed driver? confusing..

clown_abhi said:
I am using the Public RC release with Rivatuner 2.23. Where did u get the 64bit driver for Rivatuner from?

i got from here..
Guru3d...
PiXeLpUsHeR said:
You should search the forum first :p I posted a fix for this ages ago :bleh:
http://www.techenclave.com/operating-systems/how-install-unsigned-drivers-windows-7-a-134677.html

I wonder this was a discussion forum right. more over your post only tells about the ‘Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider’, but i mentioned 2 of them together, right?. will that be yours? or will that make a duplicate? :bleh: :bleh:
does that make sense? :p

RivaTuner 2.24c at my end also gave a prompt saying that rivatuner x64 driver will be unable to run since its not signed.
I use Driver Ready Plus, works out well..

Back