How's Ola electric scooter

For 450, there is an average of 10% degradation in 5 years. Li Ion in my iPhone is at 99% after half a year and I charge the phone once a day atleast and generates lot more heat. By your logic is this a lie? When battery in phone that is charged using a wireless charger day in day out (generates lot of heat) and is used every minute of every day is at 99% after six months. I do not see why battery on scooter cannot be at 99% after two years.

I lost the battery stats that were given during last service. Next one is due in December, will get the stats and share.

View attachment 194844
You may also want to see this report

View attachment 194846

its not that whether its a lie or not .But in india whether do we have an independent way or standardized way to validate the claims.

For 450, there is an average of 10% degradation in 5 years. Li Ion in my iPhone is at 99% after half a year and I charge the phone once a day atleast and generates lot more heat. By your logic is this a lie? When battery in phone that is charged using a wireless charger day in day out (generates lot of heat) and is used every minute of every day is at 99% after six months. I do not see why battery on scooter cannot be at 99% after two years.
This is a good point. So I looked it up and found this.

Basically, iphone batteries do decline as expected over time. But the maximum capacity will seem stuck at 99% because Apple only considers the loss from the rated capacity of the battery. The actual capacity of the battery varies and is usually significantly higher, giving you a bit of a buffer at first. Eventually though, it will start falling. But the point is this, you're still losing capacity whether that number says 99 or 100. It is just not getting reported.

I suppose Aether could be doing something similar. In that case, you should soon start to notice the percentage drop as the capacity falls below the rated value. Here again, the important thing is this, you're not cheating the laws of physics. You're still losing battery capacity at the expected rate. Your EV cannot go the same distance on a single charge as it could when you bought it.

To me, that's a problem. I also don't really buy the 10% in 5 years number you just quoted, because that would make Ather's li-ion battery more durable than a Tesla.

Basically, iphone batteries do decline as expected over time. But the maximum capacity will seem stuck at 99% because Apple only considers the loss from the rated capacity of the battery. The actual capacity of the battery varies and is usually significantly higher, giving you a bit of a buffer at first. Eventually though, it will start falling. But the point is this, you're still losing capacity whether that number says 99 or 100. It is just not getting reported.
I saw this behavior on iPhones, but never knew why, this makes sense.

its not that whether its a lie or not .But in india whether do we have an independent way or standardized way to validate the claims.
Yes, there is a way but it requires opening up the battery compartments and that voids warranty. Like I said, in next service, I can get the report. Another check is if there is a drop in range and it has been the same since day 1. This is not accurate though to find minor drop in battery capacity.
To me, that's a problem. I also don't really buy the 10% in 5 years number you just quoted, because that would make Ather's li-ion battery more durable than a Tesla.
Not going to side track into iPhone battery. Tesla is way above Ather. Tesla battery has average of 10% degradation after 125000 miles. It takes 50,000 miles to lose 5%. They are already moving towards battery that retains 80% after a million miles. I think they now are at 12% degradation after 2L miles. This is incredible.
Coming back to Ather, 10% in 3 years is still below the benchmark set by Tesla. In EV 2wheelers in India, Ather has been leading the battery space and now Ola seems to be giving 8 year warranty on battery. My in laws recently purchased Innova Hycross hybrid and the battery has 8 year or 1.6L kilometer warranty.

I have first hand experience of having no range loss in 2.5 years, have first gen owners vouching that their battery is still solid. This owner did real world range test on 450 after riding it for 70,000 kms. Take a look.

I hope this sheds fear of battery degradation. In case one is are still afraid or is not ready to believe that EV battery outlives the vehicle life for normal user, it’s okay to live in denial.

There are cases where battery degraded faster than expected and it gets replaced under warranty. Ather grid charging does indeed degrade battery faster so it is advised not to do that na did also advised not to do full cycles. We charge it every alternate day so it’s usually 30% to 90% cycle. I think it takes about a month to get battery replaced (as it is sent to their test center to run tests, new battery order is placed). Don’t know if they started giving spare battery if battery is under warranty, till it is replaced.
This is a practice in EVs as well for models with 8 year warranty (mandated by regulations) it seems. I am expecting to see this in Ola now as they seem to be giving 8 year warranty on battery.
Provide oversized battery and though you are charging to 100%, it’s actually charging to 80%. Full Discharge will still keep 20 to 30 percent battery. Real range loss will happen only when battery degradation bring battery capacity below the rated capacity.

This is okay though as it means that the battery will easily last beyond a decade and battery will outlive the vehicle itself.

Last edited:
I own iQube and not happy with suspension. It's very stiff.
Have you tried to get it adjusted to be on the softer side? I believe S variant has adjustable suspension that owner himself/herself can do. If it is still firm even at soft setting, get it checked. It could be case of a faulty suspension. It is known to bottom out when you ride faster over bad roads and humps, is comfortable for sedate driving.

I am saying this from experience of test rides of iQube, in comparison to 450X and my previous Aviator.

My NS200 has adjustable suspension and I always keep it on firmer side for better stability. My Ather 450x suspension is on the firmer side compared to iQube and Chetak and this is because it is a performance scooter. Does Rizta have best suspension of all, no one knows for sure yet because all reviews till now are on silky test tracks. We will only get to know once TDs open.

Last edited:
Apple has also been understating the battery life for several years, like they suddenly went from 80% capacity at 500 cycles to 1000 after the EU regulations for iPhone 15. They of course do use better quality batteries than the lower market segments, but it also makes Apple Care battery replacement at 80% within 2 years quite difficult to achieve.

Have you tried to get it adjusted to be on the softer side? I believe S variant has adjustable suspension that owner himself/herself can do. If it is still firm even at soft setting, get it checked. It could be case of a faulty suspension. It is known to bottom out when you ride faster over bad roads and humps, is comfortable for sedate driving.
I have base variant, and I found the same issue with test drive vehicle too. Lowering tyre air pressure helps but comes with drawback of less torque. I went with it due to resemblens with traditional scooter and good leg and boot space.

Last edited:
since last 6-7 months, don't know how & why but each & every ola electric scooter I have seen had one lamp always shut in Head Light, is it faulty or software issue?

Test drove ather 450x today. Suspension feels very hard and might cause back ache. Otherwise it's all buttery smooth.
Salesman is not much of a help. Providing as little information as possible.
He told that rizta will have the same suspension. Is it true. I thought because it's family focused suspension might be soft.

Test drove ather 450x today. Suspension feels very hard and might cause back ache. Otherwise it's all buttery smooth.
Salesman is not much of a help. Providing as little information as possible.
He told that rizta will have the same suspension. Is it true. I thought because it's family focused suspension might be soft.
No, it is not. Wait for the test drive.

Back