HP iPaq 512 - how good is this ?

Raghunandan said:
Get the Imate SP5m for 11k. I bought it and its much better than this - bigger & better screen and miniSD support (cheaper again).

Raghu.
there is not much difference in the price of micro and mini SD

Did a bit of comparison between the two models:

- Both seem to use the same TI proc

- The HP model has 128MB of ROM vs 64MB on the i-mate (more space for the OS i assume?)

- The HP has higher battery capacity of 1100mAH vs 750mAH on the i-mate

- The imate of course has a screen size larger by 0.5cm diagonal, and resolution is much higher at 240 x 320 pixels vs 176 x 220 pixels on the HP

- The HP comes with Windows Mobile 6 vs the i-mate's WM 5 (though Raghu says a simple firmware flash can bring it up to WM 6 - is this legal though?)

Finally, - i guess its personal preference - but the HP does look a tad bit more stylish than the i-mate :)

Crazy_Eddy said:
Did a bit of comparison between the two models:

- Both seem to use the same TI proc
- The HP model has 128MB of ROM vs 64MB on the i-mate (more space for the OS i assume?)
- The HP has higher battery capacity of 1100mAH vs 750mAH on the i-mate
- The imate of course has a screen size larger by 0.5cm diagonal, and resolution is much higher at 240 x 320 pixels vs 176 x 220 pixels on the HP
- The HP comes with Windows Mobile 6 vs the i-mate's WM 5 (though Raghu says a simple firmware flash can bring it up to WM 6 - is this legal though?)

Finally, - i guess its personal preference - but the HP does look a tad bit more stylish than the i-mate :)

1) The OS sits on the ROM and it is used for installing software on the phone, but most ppl install their software on the memory card. So thats a no issue.

2) The Imate has a 1150mAh battery. Im having it in my hand and checked it too. Check your source again.

3) The WM6 update is available on XDA-developer forums. Its an unofficial build, but its just amazing. Im having no issues till now.

Raghu.

I would have to agree with Raghu. While the HP is also a good buy, it has very little support from custom rom builders which is in my opinion is a primary consideration while buying smartphones / pda phones. I would never buy a phone that isn't popular among the XDA crowd.

The roms cooked up by the likes of Faria, Molski and Tof (who sadly passed away a few days ago) are better than what is provided by the companies that brand these phones.

Looks aside Eddy... it's a simple choice... go with what has the most support... in this case... the iMate.

Eddy, if you are willing to spend a little more (in this case... a lot more ;) ) I would really encourage you to buy the Touch. Eventually your next device will be a PDA phone... you might as well spend that little extra now and get the touch now. It's a fantastic phone.

^ Thanks for those valuable inputs guys :)

Anyway the phone isnt for me, a friend was asking ;)

Raghunandan said:
3) The WM6 update is available on XDA-developer forums. Its an unofficial build, but its just amazing. Im having no issues till now.

Just wanted a little clarification on this point. Wouldnt the WM6 update be a bit illegal? Or are Windows Mobile updates fine?

does the i mate have wifi

even i was thinking of buying the hp ipaq 512

i basically want a <15k smart phone
wifi is a must

htc s7sumthin is also an option but does htc have service centers in mumbai
is it reliable to buy??

anyodder phone??
how is the o2 stealth

Yes, the SP5m does have WiFi.

I think you are reffering to the HTC S710. Good phone and it's around 16k. I'm not sure about the service centers though as they have recently entered the Indian market, although I can vouch for HTC quality being a long time user of their phones.

Back