PC Peripherals HP Mechanical Keyboard FF861AA or TVS Gold ?

Winter

Penguin Powered
Disciple
My keyboard just died on me and is beyond repairs.So i need a good but cheap mechanical keyboard till Santa delivers a wad of cash this Christmas ;) Shortlisted the above 2.Is it confirmed that the HP FF861AA has Cherry MX Black switches ? Anybody here curious enough cared to check under the keys ? Also what is the keycap printing method used ? Are the Cherry MX Blue switches on TVS Gold any good for FPS gaming ? Does anybody here own both models and compared them after prolonged usage ? Besides the fact that I don't type much and game more, I'm not comfortable with a TVS Gold's looks.Do the keys on a TVS Gold tend to bend sideways since they're loosely placed ? Any and all inputs are welcome from owners.

P.S. : If I decide to buy the HP FF861AA from hporiginals, anyone from Mumbai here who would also like to buy it and doesn't mind picking it up from Dadar ? Why ? It would save us both 100 bucks each :eek:hyeah:

EDIT : Decided to go for the HP for now.Peeps from Mumbai who want to buy it too and save money can PM me or reply to this thread.

I got the TVS gold last week. Havnt started using it yet, but its a NO-GAMER look. It should be nice for gaming but its too loud, especially while typing. The big enter button and shift has a slight problem if pressed on its edges (slight bending). No bending issues for other buttons. And the printing is not the best ive seen. Couldve used some carving/engraving for long lasting.

Never used the HP mechanical keyboard, but TVS Gold is definitely your iron work horse. No doubt about that.. if you wanna get rid of that keyboard, you're gonna have to literally put it on the floor and start jumping on it.. n even then, it might still work.. have been using the TVS Gold keyboard for almost 10 yrs now. I mean the same keyboard for 10 yrs.. and it still works absolutely fine.. just buy the black one.. the white one loses its whiteness and becomes yellow over time..

dOm1naTOr said:
I got the TVS gold last week. Havnt started using it yet, but its a NO-GAMER look. It should be nice for gaming but its too loud, especially while typing. The big enter button and shift has a slight problem if pressed on its edges (slight bending). No bending issues for other buttons. And the printing is not the best ive seen. Couldve used some carving/engraving for long lasting.

Thanx for the input :)
eternoMind said:

Thanx ! Read those threads before making this one.Could you shed some more light ? Like the keycap printing method on the HP ? The "+" on the switch is black right ? Is there anything about the keyboard that you didn't like ?
RaSh said:
I have both and I prefer HP compared to TVS. Total VFM considering that its half the price of TVS.

Thanx ! Is the 500 bucks more factor on the TVS Gold justifiable or is the HP still better although cheaper ?
lll_aritra_lll said:
TVS Gold is my all time fav keyboard.. So my choice wd be it, but you have already decided.. good luck

Thanx dude.Assuming you own both keyboards, can you answer what I asked RaSh ? I'm slightly in favour of the HP just because of it's price but it doesn't matter if the TVS is better than HP by all means :)

puneetritehere said:
Never used the HP mechanical keyboard, but TVS Gold is definitely your iron work horse. No doubt about that.. if you wanna get rid of that keyboard, you're gonna have to literally put it on the floor and start jumping on it.. n even then, it might still work.. have been using the TVS Gold keyboard for almost 10 yrs now. I mean the same keyboard for 10 yrs.. and it still works absolutely fine.. just buy the black one.. the white one loses its whiteness and becomes yellow over time..

yeah exactly

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Thanx dude.Assuming you own both keyboards, can you answer what I asked RaSh ? I'm slightly in favour of the HP just because of it's price but it doesn't matter if the TVS is better than HP by all means

nah bro I dont own any of them, but I am using tvs gold for over 5 yrs in my college. And its the best I have encountered so far, I have used an HP mechanical one before dont remember the model no, but not that one in the link, guessing by look, that was costlier.. but, still I found TVS Gold a mile away

puneetritehere said:

Hahaha.Thanx ! This 50 million cycles phenomenon for Cherries is not a myth after all.

nukeu666 said:
there is a hp board with black cherry?
how much is it?

Yes it is.699 a pop + 100 bucks shipping.Order 2 or more & shipping is free.Check the link in the first post.

lll_aritra_lll said:
nah bro I dont own any of them, but I am using tvs gold for over 5 yrs in my college. And its the best I have encountered so far, I have used an HP mechanical one before dont remember the model no, but not that one in the link, guessing by look, that was costlier.. but, still I found TVS Gold a mile away

Nice ! I'm leaning towards TVS Gold now :D But I'd like to hear more from HP owners before I pull the trigger tonight.

Winter said:
Thanx ! Read those threads before making this one.Could you shed some more light ? Like the keycap printing method on the HP ? The "+" on the switch is black right ? Is there anything about the keyboard that you didn't like ?

Out of the different keycap printing methods mentioned here, the one on the HP matches the first.
Yes (not again :p), the switches (+) on mine are all Cherry blacks. I got the KB off hporiginals' eBay shop.

I am very satisfied with the HP. Initially i found the spacing between keys a bit narrow/small for my liking but the feeling went away after a week's use. Typing is my main use (no gaming at all) and the general view is that black switches are not the best for that as they require a higher degree of actuation force (apart from lacking tactile bump) compared to the blue/browns. But i've found it to be about perfect. Plus the black switches don't have the same clickety-noise of the others. The board is built like a tank and i love its sturdy/heavy feel.
nukeu666 said:
there is a hp board with black cherry?
how much is it?

Dude, second time you asked this question :p.

nukeu666 said:
HP has blacks? cool
What about TVS?
Any idea whats available with brown switches?

eternoMind said:
Out of the different keycap printing methods mentioned here, the one on the HP matches the first.
Yes (not again :p), the switches (+) on mine are all Cherry blacks. I got the KB off hporiginals' eBay shop.

I am very satisfied with the HP. Initially i found the spacing between keys a bit narrow/small for my liking but the feeling went away after a week's use. Typing is my main use (no gaming at all) and the general view is that black switches are not the best for that as they require a higher degree of actuation force (apart from lacking tactile bump) compared to the blue/browns. But i've found it to be about perfect. Plus the black switches don't have the same clickety-noise of the others. The board is built like a tank and i love its sturdy/heavy feel.

Cool ! I'll buy the HP tonight. Will also buy the TVS Gold next month, use it for some time, keep the one that I find better personally and sell off the other. :eek:hyeah:

nukeu666 said:
HP has blacks? cool
What about TVS?
Any idea whats available with brown switches?

TVS has Cherry MX Blues which are good for typing.Razer BlackWidow Stealth Edition keyboards use Cherry MX Browns.There are a lot of other brands but not available in India.You might find the BlackWidow Stealths as Razer products are easily available here but they're expensive.

microchip said:
go for hp.u will enjoy that keyboard

Thanx ! :)

Winter said:
Thanx for the input :)
Thanx ! Is the 500 bucks more factor on the TVS Gold justifiable or is the HP still better although cheaper ?
Thanx dude.Assuming you own both keyboards, can you answer what I asked RaSh ? I'm slightly in favour of the HP just because of it's price but it doesn't matter if the TVS is better than HP by all means :)

Did I ever tell you that I badly wanted TVS to be better than HP? Sigh. HP quality is very good and cherry black don't make as much noise compared to blue.

Put it simply there isn't anything that TVS does better than HP. My personal opinion.

RaSh said:
Did I ever tell you that I badly wanted TVS to be better than HP? Sigh.

Hehehe.You didn't & I never wanted to know anything of that sort :bleh:

RaSh said:
HP quality is very good and cherry black don't make as much noise compared to blue.
Put it simply there isn't anything that TVS does better than HP. My personal opinion.

Exactly what I & maybe others were looking for - a brief comparison especially when you're tight on budget.Thanx again ! :)
Others can keep shooting their opinions & feel free to hijack this thread (only if it's TVS Gold or HP FF861AA-related) :p

from Laptop Originals re HP Mechanical USB and PS2 Keyboard ( Item number: 180712183374 ) :
Apologies!!! We are sold out on this item for now. New pricing is much
higher. Shall get back once I get them back.

Back