Audio HT speakers torn.. what are my options?

They're not torn.

This is normal for all speakers with foam surrounds in a high humidity area, and the repair is quite easy, painless and reasonably priced. You can carry the drivers into a repair outlet in Lammy and they'll do it in a day, you'll be able to use the speakers in a couple of days after the glue dries.

You can also just switch out the drivers. If they're the regular 3" drivers (measure from mounting hole to mounting hole diagonally), Peerless makes some nice coated paper drivers with very smooth midrange and treble, for 375 bucks each. Dev Electronics in Lammy has them in regular stock. You can carry in your boxes and request them to replace the drivers for yu, it'll be a nice breath of life into your old HT.

sangram said:
They're not torn.

This is normal for all speakers with foam surrounds in a high humidity area, and the repair is quite easy, painless and reasonably priced. You can carry the drivers into a repair outlet in Lammy and they'll do it in a day, you'll be able to use the speakers in a couple of days after the glue dries.

You can also just switch out the drivers. If they're the regular 3" drivers (measure from mounting hole to mounting hole diagonally), Peerless makes some nice coated paper drivers with very smooth midrange and treble, for 375 bucks each. Dev Electronics in Lammy has them in regular stock. You can carry in your boxes and request them to replace the drivers for yu, it'll be a nice breath of life into your old HT.

hey thanks a lot sangram...

even google showed the same results, that it is the foam that wears out.

Ill be heading to lammy tomorrow itself..
  • how long does it take to get it done, coz im planning to pick it up the same day..
  • how much does it cost? (375/- incl drivers?)
  • can u gimme some landmarks to find dev electronics?

1. Switching out the drivers should take 15 minutes tops, once you get the cabinets open. That depends on their construction, which I'm assuming you're familiar with now that you've opened one.

2. 375/- is just the cost of one driver. The repair guy may charge you 50-100 bucks fro replacing it, I don't know really. Measure the driver before you go, you want to give the right measurement.

3. Dev is on the first floor of the building bang opposite the cop station. stand at the cop station entrance (a little to the side, please) and look at the building opposite it. On the first floor you'll see a sign of Dev. The entrance is near Anupam Tools and before Cassette World.

I had exactly same problem with LG TV internal speakers so i went to repair shop with drivers but he did not have exact Japanese coil used inside 8 Ohms.I refused repair and bought new original at 400Rs.For repairing he asked only 75Rs for two drivers.

I doubted sound quality change with repaired drivers so purchased new.

thnx again sangram.. will check it out..

virus32win said:
I had exactly same problem with LG TV internal speakers so i went to repair shop with drivers but he did not have exact Japanese coil used inside 8 Ohms.I refused repair and bought new original at 400Rs.For repairing he asked only 75Rs for two drivers.

I doubted sound quality change with repaired drivers so purchased new.

i think ill take the risk of sound quality.. will try and change only the foam.. if thats done, nothing like it!

spynic said:
thnx again sangram.. will check it out..
i think ill take the risk of sound quality.. will try and change only the foam.. if thats done, nothing like it!

Yes true there is nothing like it, if you succeed in changing foam only.Taking risk with sound quality is also worthy as repair will cost little.

so, i never updated this.. here's what happened..
i went to lammy and tried all the guys mentioned above..
no one was ready to do it.. they instead pushed me from shop to shop..
i was quite tired and frustrated, that i decided on doing it myself..
so what if it gets screwd.. :p

so i took canvas as the material.. found it to be the best alternative..
and here are the results..

sounds hard now.. i dont mind it that way.. pretty happy! :D

I wish I had seen this thread when it was started :S

I have had a few speakers which needed their surrounds replaced and each time I went to these shops located alongside the Grant Road bridge - these guys sit on the street and they replace the surrounds (or voice coils) in front of you, I have had surrounds replaced for my 10" B&W woofers and a Warfdale 15" woofer and recently a pair of Sony self powered computer speakers. They did a very decent job on the 15" and the Sony's but the B&W woofers needed a soft rubber surround which at that time they did not have with them, and these woofers now sound hard. :(

These shops are located right alongside the South side of the Grant Road bridge. I normally go to the repair shop which is located right next to a Computer shop named Novelty.

A Map.....RED dot is the location of these Speaker Repair shops ....

Eazy said:
I wish I had seen this thread when it was started :S

I have had a few speakers which needed their surrounds replaced and each time I went to these shops located alongside the Grant Road bridge - these guys sit on the street and they replace the surrounds (or voice coils) in front of you, I have had surrounds replaced for my 10" B&W woofers and a Warfdale 15" woofer and recently a pair of Sony self powered computer speakers. They did a very decent job on the 15" and the Sony's but the B&W woofers needed a soft rubber surround which at that time they did not have with them, and these woofers now sound hard. :(

These shops are located right alongside the South side of the Grant Road bridge. I normally go to the repair shop which is located right next to a Computer shop named Novelty.

A Map.....RED dot is the location of these Speaker Repair shops ....

no probs mate.. may use it next time..:).. thanks though.

Back