HTC Legend or iPhone 3GS

After extensive research and advice from TE members, I had decided on getting the HTC Legend.

I have the money, got the proper dealer, almost ready to buy it by the month-end.

Bam, iOS4 came, iPhone 4 coming, and iPhone 3GS prices nosedive.

So as the thread title reads, Do I get the Legend for 22K or get a used iPhone 3GS 32GB for around the same price?

I read an article about Apple iOS 3 & 4 VS Android 2.1 "Eclair" & 2.2 "Froyo"

Source : Apple iOS 3 & 4 VS Android 2.1 "Eclair" & 2.2 "Froyo": Fight! | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

My dilema is -

1: The iOS4 is pretty much close to compete with Android 2.1, so why not get the iPhone? :huh:

OR

2 : Using the android on a friends HTC Hero was just amazing, the sence UI is awesone so why not the Legend? :huh:

if you can get iphone 3GS for 22k, go for it. At same price, it easily pawns legend in many aspects.

I have ipod touch and Legend and though Legend is superior in social networking etc, iphone pawns when it comes to multimedia, calling, texting, internet, games, apps, touch sensitivity etc.

The legend is gonna be a new phone as against a used one from apple.....

It's like a choice between marrying a virgin bride on one side & a divorced one on another.

Your Call.

desiibond said:
if you can get iphone 3GS for 22k, go for it. At same price, it easily pawns legend in many aspects.

I have ipod touch and Legend and though Legend is superior in social networking etc, iphone pawns when it comes to multimedia, calling, texting, internet, games, apps, touch sensitivity etc.
This is OT. Just curious what does "pawns" mean here? (couldn't find any meaning that suits this context)

nehaladsul said:
The legend is gonna be a new phone as against a used one from apple.....

It's like a choice between marrying a virgin bride on one side & a divorced one on another.

Your Call.
I spoke to one of my friend who bought a used iPhone and he said the same thing that you did, in a different way but pretty much the same :D

Legend it is for now,in 5 more days! :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Boot_Comp said:
This is OT. Just curious what does "pawns" mean here? (couldn't find any meaning that suits this context)

Pawn : Verb- Full spelling of "pwn" an internet term (which has migrated in some cases to real life) referencing humiliating defeat.

Such defeats usually come due to a lack of skill of the pwn'd when challenging the pwn'er.

The use of the word references the fact The one who was pawned was so utterly humiliated by the pawner that the pawned belongs to the pawner from now on. The Pawner however, esteems them of no worth and instead chooses to sell them off. Thus the defeated has been "pwn'ed"

Source - Urban Dictionary: pawn

orangewrath said:
I spoke to one of my friend who bought a used iPhone and he said the same thing that you did, in a different way but pretty much the same :D
Legend it is for now,in 5 more days! :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Pawn : Verb- Full spelling of "pwn" an internet term (which has migrated in some cases to real life) referencing humiliating defeat.
Such defeats usually come due to a lack of skill of the pwn'd when challenging the pwn'er.

The use of the word references the fact The one who was pawned was so utterly humiliated by the pawner that the pawned belongs to the pawner from now on. The Pawner however, esteems them of no worth and instead chooses to sell them off. Thus the defeated has been "pwn'ed"

Source - Urban Dictionary: pawn
Interesting. Though wikipedia gives a different etymology - Pwn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back on topic: Android and iOS have different philosophies. Going forward, the philosophy will matter more than fine details of hardware difference.

Android: Apps which change fundamental features of the base OS will be available. Though less games/entertainment apps are available right now - this may continue to be true. Can install various alternative ROMs - so even if manufacturer does not come with Android 3.0 for your phone, there are still chances that you can upgrade your phone. Some manufacturers make a firmware checksum verification before booting to disable this, but I think HTC usually doesn't.

Apple: Cooler touch experience. But a walled garden approach in app availability. If Apple does not want a category of Apps - that category will be difficult to install so good applications of that category will not be available. But if you are not of a mindset to tinker with the insides of your phone - this may not be a problem.

amitkher said:
Interesting. Though wikipedia gives a different etymology - Pwn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back on topic: Android and iOS have different philosophies. Going forward, the philosophy will matter more than fine details of hardware difference.

Android: Apps which change fundamental features of the base OS will be available. Though less games/entertainment apps are available right now - this may continue to be true. Can install various alternative ROMs - so even if manufacturer does not come with Android 3.0 for your phone, there are still chances that you can upgrade your phone. Some manufacturers make a firmware checksum verification before booting to disable this, but I think HTC usually doesn't.

Apple: Cooler touch experience. But a walled garden approach in app availability. If Apple does not want a category of Apps - that category will be difficult to install so good applications of that category will not be available. But if you are not of a mindset to tinker with the insides of your phone - this may not be a problem.
Even for iPhone, its easy to Jailbreak and install apps from cydia app store.

I have an iPod touch and I jailbroke it, so I really wont be missing out on the apps and games if I get a Legend.

@ desibond Do you happen to know if the calling and texting on the iPhone a lot better than on the Legend?

@orangewraith, I didn't know that you were having an ipod touch (sorry for not checking your siggy). This makes the scenario a bit different. Given that you have around 25k at your disposal, either get Legend now or wait for Samsung Galaxy S (25k -27k approx) which is going to be the best android handset in India. Going to release in a week (most probably this weekend).

desiibond said:
@orangewraith, I didn't know that you were having an ipod touch (sorry for not checking your siggy). This makes the scenario a bit different. Given that you have around 25k at your disposal, either get Legend now or wait for Samsung Galaxy S (25k -27k approx) which is going to be the best android handset in India. Going to release in a week (most probably this weekend).

galaxy has already been released... MRP is 31K but folks here on forum are saying the price is going to be around 25-27K.

BTW, desiibond I am also looking for an Android phone. The options for now are HTC Hero, HTC Legend, Samsung Wave or Samsung Galaxy S (if it is indeed around 25).

The problem is that I like some aspects of all phones and all of them have some "issues" as well.

HTC Hero: Cool price but pretty old hardware now

HTC Legend: A legend in itself and priced very aggressively (if 23K estimate is right). Also Sense UI on Android looks sweet. Amazing aluminum unibody. But weak processor (600Mhz). Weak multimedia capabilities

Samsung Wave: Amazing price and amazing hardware (1GHz CPU, Super AMOLED screen, Good video playback support, Metal body) but no Android. No multitouch. Bada still needs polishing.

Galaxy S: Amazing hardware (1Ghz Hummingbird+best in industry GPU), very good battery life and fantastic screen. Form factor is nice. But I am not too sure of Touch Wiz on Android. No Flash with cam. Plastic body

What do you say? Budget is 25-27 (max). Requirements. Loads and loads of calls. Nearly running into a couple of hours everyday. Need to access emails on the go and decent web browsing experience. Doesn't care much about social networking but requires decent music playback.

PS: Sorry for hijacking thread, OP

hatter said:
galaxy has already been released... MRP is 31K but folks here on forum are saying the price is going to be around 25-27K.

BTW, desiibond I am also looking for an Android phone. The options for now are HTC Hero, HTC Legend, Samsung Wave or Samsung Galaxy S (if it is indeed around 25).

The problem is that I like some aspects of all phones and all of them have some "issues" as well.

HTC Hero: Cool price but pretty old hardware now

HTC Legend: A legend in itself and priced very aggressively (if 23K estimate is right). Also Sense UI on Android looks sweet. Amazing aluminum unibody. But weak processor (600Mhz). Weak multimedia capabilities

Samsung Wave: Amazing price and amazing hardware (1GHz CPU, Super AMOLED screen, Good video playback support, Metal body) but no Android. No multitouch. Bada still needs polishing.

Galaxy S: Amazing hardware (1Ghz Hummingbird+best in industry GPU), very good battery life and fantastic screen. Form factor is nice. But I am not too sure of Touch Wiz on Android. No Flash with cam. Plastic body

What do you say? Budget is 25-27 (max). Requirements. Loads and loads of calls. Nearly running into a couple of hours everyday. Need to access emails on the go and decent web browsing experience. Doesn't care much about social networking but requires decent music playback.

PS: Sorry for hijacking thread, OP
wait for public talk on Galaxy S, how good the build is etc. And don't worry about plastic build because 99% of world's mobile phones are made of plastic only. GIve your budget, Samsung Galaxy S makes total sense. TouchQiz 3.0 is actually pretty good and looks to be lot lot better than earlier UIs. It has come pretty close to SenseUI. Go to Samsung flagship stores and give it a try. If not Galaxy S, then try Motorola Milestone's keypad and if you like it, get it. This is one phone that is not getting enough attention. It's hardware is superior to Legend's and should be available inside 28k now.

desiibond said:
Even for iPhone, its easy to Jailbreak and install apps from cydia app store.
Yeah, I know. That is why I said
amitkher said:
If Apple does not want a category of Apps - that category will be difficult to install so good applications of that category will not be available

that category of apps will be difficult (not impossible) to install for regular public.
Hence not much demand for such apps
Hence less such apps available on whichever app store. Good applications are not available where good is defined as "used/tested/liked by lots of users".

E.g. custom soft keyboard, bluetooth file transfer even when the OS didn't support this, app2sd even when the OS didn't support etc. Such category of apps are available on android but not on iphone. When the OS didn't support copy-paste, was there any app to enable copy-paste on iphone? Multi-tasking?

Paying 25k, I will not even think about getting a second hand product.. A Lengend i feel will give the same cool/wow factor since it is less known to common users than iPhone and once they look and feel it, they will be mighty impressed. That's what happened to me. 5 mins with a Legend and i fell in love with android and Sense UI :cool2: :cool2: But that's my thought.

On the other hand I have used my sisters Iphone for quite a bit, but somehow I dont quite like it despite all the hype.. Somehow I never wanted to use apple products though and theres a iPod nano in the house lying unused. To me a nokia 5800 is better for music than the iPod

Back