HTPC+ DL rig

LaatSahab

Skilled
Processor- AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE

MoBo- MSI 880GMA-E45

RAM- G Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 MHz

GPU- AMD ATi HD5570 1GB DDR3 with low profile bracket
It will be mainly used for downloading and as HTPC. Seldom it will be used for day-to-day general computing like surfing and stuff. Sometime for a lil bit gaming like CS:Source, COD4, COD7-Black Ops, GTA4, Mafia 2 etc @ res. of 1360x768 although gaming is not the important issue, I can skip it altogether if the performance is less for aforementioned titles.

Restriction is to the size because I have already got a cabby which supports only mATX boards and low profile GPUs only.

You won't be able to run most games except on the lowest of the low settings but HTPC and Downloading should go on without a hitch :) CounterStrike source can run on any system bought with a low end card within the last two years :bleh:

Well I know about the performance, I wanted the suggestions on components. I have decided to go with low profile HD5670 for better gaming performance.

Errr.... Why do u need 8GB RAM for DL rig :S Get a 4GB single Corsair Value RAM for 2.4k.
Plus why a PII X2 550BE? Go for a AthlonII X2 250 ~ 2.7k as it consumes lesser power.
For GPU i would recommend the HIS IceQ HD5670 ~5k. It has some excellent cooling and accoustics :) Super silent :D

Wow! The HIS HD 5670 IceQ is the quietest graphics card with an active fan that I ever held in my hands. To give you a perspective how quiet it is: imagine a completely quiet room without any PC or other noise sources. If the card is running on an open bench you have to put your ear right next to the fan to be able to hear it at all. Move 10 cm away and you can not hear the fan anymore. I am crazy about fan noise in my HTPC and only want passive components, but I can assure you that even with this card in a media PC you will not hear its noise. Under load the fan ramps up very very slightly but is still inaudible.

HIS Radeon HD 5670 IceQ 512 MB

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Even HIS HD5750 iCooler version is very silent and i will get u that extra oomph that u need for gaming

HIS Radeon HD 5750 iCooler IV 1 GB Review - Page 29/34 | techPowerUp

OK, so this is what I got. HD5570 is on its way via Purnam Technologies. The X-Mini and Altec Lansing is not part of the setup, gonna take 'em to my hostel ;)
blingn.jpg

You should concentrate on low noise and low power for a HTPC and a DL rig, this system is a complete overkill with 4gb and a HD5570. It wil lhelp you do a little gaming though :)

A Download Rig needs 8GB RAM?? :O

Agreed that RAM prices have gone down but why buy it if it won't be used??

And I was thinking of setting up a Seagate Dockstar NAS for Downloads!!! :p

Back