CPU/Mobo HTPC processors - AMD Trinity Availability

Hi folks,

I am having a hard time getting AMD Trinity processors for my upcoming HTPC build.

Although I have shortlisted a few processors for the same. I am looking at low voltage 65 watt models only.

AMD A10 5700
AMD A6 5600B
AMD A6 5600K
AMD A8 5500
AMD A8 5500B

Been looking hi and low, but no sign of these processors either online or in the retail shops.
Any leads?

Cheers!

Pick up an intel cpu and a discrete gpu. Been that route and trust me the igp is not as good as a dgpu. In fact some bits of the discrete gpu such as those for mvc acceleration do not exist on the trinity igps. Also igps are not as good at clock stability at dgpus so you'll not get 23.976 accurately.

If absolute video quality is not a concern, then feel free to buy anything. Otherwise an i3 or pentium g620 with a radeon 6570/geforce gt 440 is far superior for video playback using madvr/lav filters.

I would rather suggest to go for the 3rd Gen core i with HD4000 IGP if you have the cash. Many of the issues have been resolved with the HD4000 plus CPU preformance is darn good.

Trinity is good too and here is a writeup []AnandTech - AMD's Trinity : An HTPC Perspective on the same. Unless you are looking for 10 bit decoding OR 4K vids support, its good. Plus, gaming better than Intel.

Pick up an intel cpu and a discrete gpu. Been that route and trust me the igp is not as good as a dgpu. In fact some bits of the discrete gpu such as those for mvc acceleration do not exist on the trinity igps. Also igps are not as good at clock stability at dgpus so you'll not get 23.976 accurately.

If absolute video quality is not a concern, then feel free to buy anything. Otherwise an i3 or pentium g620 with a radeon 6570/geforce gt 440 is far superior for video playback using madvr/lav filters.

I would rather suggest to go for the 3rd Gen core i with HD4000 IGP if you have the cash. Many of the issues have been resolved with the HD4000 plus CPU preformance is darn good.

Trinity is good too and here is a writeup []AnandTech - AMD's Trinity : An HTPC Perspective on the same. Unless you are looking for 10 bit decoding OR 4K vids support, its good. Plus, gaming better than Intel.

I am weighing all options at the moment. IGP was what I have been thinking so far, that too 65 watts, but I am still tempted to go for 100 watts Trinity A10-5800, which retails for around 8k or so.

In case I go with i3, which motherboard, as I have to keep around 4K aside for the graphics card (Radeon 6570)?

I am using a8 3870k with Asus f1a55 mono and damn pleased with it, i would suggest you go with amd a10 , have a look at ebay.com too for good deals and pricing.

I am weighing all options at the moment. IGP was what I have been thinking so far, that too 65 watts, but I am still tempted to go for 100 watts Trinity A10-5800, which retails for around 8k or so.

In case I go with i3, which motherboard, as I have to keep around 4K aside for the graphics card (Radeon 6570)?

Either of these --
  • GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H
  • Intel DH77-KC / DH77-EB
The Intel motherboard have better I / O options compared to the Spartan GIGABYTE offering but that can be remedied with a little D.I.Y.

Hope this helps and wishing all on thread a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy New Year 2013, Cheerio!

The HD4000 is not fast enough for madvr presentation with jinc or lanczos scaling for all content. As I mentioned, madvr is the only game in town if you want the highest possible quality output. For that, there's no option but to use a discrete gpu.

Either of these --
  • GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H
  • Intel DH77-KC / DH77-EB
The Intel motherboard have better I / O options compared to the Spartan GIGABYTE offering but that can be remedied with a little D.I.Y.

Hope this helps and wishing all on thread a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy New Year 2013, Cheerio!

I forgot to add that I can only use a micro ATX board. And that it should have an optical out. Happy New Year to you as well mate!

Back