Budget 0-20k HTPC to bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA

Well, Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD-MA can be transmitted through HDMI only and not through optical or coaxial cable.

I don't think you need a sound card.

BTW, where are you located? You can come over for a demo and see 30-40GB Blu ray (I have more than hundred of those) working flawlessly with both HD Audio formats on Intel HTPC using HD6450 (exactly same you are planning to buy) as well as my other media players like Xtreamer and Popcorn hour C-200.

Sometimes, getting too much gyaan (like MAD vr and jinx) can confuse us and we end up doing which we don't need to do. :p

Gurgaon/NCR. I guess you got the Popcorn C-200 from outside India?
Well, Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD-MA can be transmitted through HDMI only and not through optical or coaxial cable.
I don't think you need a sound card.
BTW, where are you located? You can come over for a demo and see 30-40GB Blu ray (I have more than hundred of those) working flawlessly with both HD Audio formats on Intel HTPC using HD6450 (exactly same you are planning to buy) as well as my other media players like Xtreamer and Popcorn hour C-200.
Sometimes, getting too much gyaan (like MAD vr and jinx) can confuse us and we end up doing which we don't need to do. :p

Sup one question:

This movie has 2 audio streams. Is there any way i can make the O!Play "send" the second audio stream to the AVR so that this movie also plays in 5.1?

Test.JPG

Presently when i play this movie (or all movies with First Stream Audio as 2 Channels) The AVR gets 2.0 sound.

Sup one question:

This movie has 2 audio streams. Is there any way i can make the O!Play "send" the second audio stream to the AVR so that this movie also plays in 5.1?

Presently when i play this movie (or all movies with First Stream Audio as 2 Channels) The AVR gets 2.0 sound.

May be you can use MP4Muxer to remove the 2.0 track. Takes about 5 mins.

Few questions to OP.

1. How many sources you have currently which has HD Audio in it.
2. Whats your complete HT setup for the sound.
3. Have you checked the size of the HD Audio files.

My advise to you would be that do not think too much into the HD Audio. A Mobo with a digital out is good enough. What you need is HD audio files. And they are hard and really big to get. I don't know what kind of net connection you have but trust me files with HD audio is a PITA to get. I have setup my HT with a Onkyo receiver which does process the HD audio but its a pain to get the same. There are others things to worry about in a HT setup with a HTPC which are more important like the remote.

Edit: By HD Audio I meant True HD.[DOUBLEPOST=1366818082][/DOUBLEPOST]
I might also add that HD audio from blu ray disks provide a major sound difference only when the rest of the chain is of sufficient calibre.

Most multichannel speaker systems upto about a lakh will not be able to properly showcase the benefits of the better audio streams.

This.

The source is just not enough as rightly pointed out. The receiver and the speakers are equally important.

Actually i think i am thinking too much. The asus O!play plays almost everything, even Dolby TrueHD but doesnot play DTS HD MA so was itching to see the DTS HD Mstr lit up on the AVR. I don't think a HTPC is worthy for that :p I know that HD audio movies are like 20+ GB and since we are in India we pay more for everything.
Few questions to OP.

1. How many sources you have currently which has HD Audio in it.
2. Whats your complete HT setup for the sound.
3. Have you checked the size of the HD Audio files.

My advise to you would be that do not think too much into the HD Audio. A Mobo with a digital out is good enough. What you need is HD audio files. And they are hard and really big to get. I don't know what kind of net connection you have but trust me files with HD audio is a PITA to get. I have setup my HT with a Onkyo receiver which does process the HD audio but its a pain to get the same. There are others things to worry about in a HT setup with a HTPC which are more important like the remote.

"I have some videos (demos) with DTS HD MA audio but the O!Play mini is unable to "send" the HD MA audio to the AVR and the AVR just plays it as a DTS audio stream, not DTS HD MA (this is what i'm assuming) I downloaded some Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA samples and found the sound quality to be much superior to the videos I have (which have either Dolby 2.0 or 5.1 or DTS 5.1 only) so will have to see what i download now. This is why i feel i'll hear much better audio if i have files with TrueHD and DTS HDMA even with this 27k Onkyo :p"
EDIT: Now i know demos are enhanced but the sound difference is just amazing!

was itching to see the DTS HD Mstr lit up on the AVR

Heard that before, I think it went "mere paas maa hain". We had a similar discussion with a member who was using a pair of GTX680s to power a 23" 1920x1080 display and play mostly Solitaire.

I don't really know why you would want to throw so much at getting one light switched on the receiver. It seems to me it's more about ego and pride than actual utility. Like I said, it's your money and you seem to be intent on wasting it. Also I see a lot of disrespect from some participants for actually useful opinion - only when you see what madVR is capable of doing will you understand why it exists. Obviously one can't keep casting pearls before swine, so good luck with your build and hope you get what you are looking for. I'll sign out of the thread now.

I know this thread is an emotional rant. Sometimes i get fixated on some things so much that i post threads like these so that i can get a direction. I will most probably not buy HTPC and i know i am doing all this just to see the "DTS HD Mstr" lit up because that is something that I'm yet to see on it. Maybe i'll connect my PC using a HD5770 (it supports bitstreaming TrueHD and DTS HD MA) and see what happens. Either ways i am thankful for your inputs :)
EDIT: Hey I am not one of those who want to crossfire and SLI with 50k graphics card to play Spider Solitaire trust me! But yes i have weaknesses for some things and one of them is finding pretexts to assemble a new pc :p :D
Heard that before, I think it went "mere paas maa hain". We had a similar discussion with a member who was using a pair of GTX680s to power a 23" 1920x1080 display and play mostly Solitaire.

I don't really know why you would want to throw so much at getting one light switched on the receiver. It seems to me it's more about ego and pride than actual utility. Like I said, it's your money and you seem to be intent on wasting it. Also I see a lot of disrespect from some participants for actually useful opinion - only when you see what madVR is capable of doing will you understand why it exists. Obviously one can't keep casting pearls before swine, so good luck with your build and hope you get what you are looking for. I'll sign out of the thread now.

Back