PC Peripherals hx620 or tx650?

i_max2k2 said:
Not hijacking, but Nemesis have u got the HX1000 yet, I'm getting it tomo, but unfortunately my procy will not be coming over till friday, post about its results (if you could stress it), I have read only good things about it!

Will take a few days for me to get it in my hands though I have already asked my dealer here to get it for me. You will probably get yours before I get mine in my hands. :p

Anyway, even the guy over at jonnyguru.com could not stress this PSU enough with their professional load generation equipment. :p

JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - Reviews - Corsair HX1000 Power Supply

From what I have seen, most reviewers agree that this PSU could have been easily rated as a 1100~1200W PSU by Corsair.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Update: One of my gurus tells me the TX650 is also Seasonic oem.

Confusing.

Corsair TX650 650W Power Supply Review : Layout and cables - eXtreme Outer Vision

EDIT: 03/04/2008 I received a few emails from our readers that suggest the TX650 built by Seasonic. However, the official confirmation from Corsair representative states that this unit built by Channel Well Technology. I will double check with Corsair and keep you posted.

The problem is that the TX and HX look identical.

Here's the TX: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/img/psu/corsair/tx650/img14.jpg

And the HX: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/images/articles/11735596771mFTZIzsqE_3_11_l.jpg

They look exactly the same, down to the components used and the layout, which makes it quite obvious the same designer engineered the boards. Still does not mean that the OEM are the same, if only the manufacturing is outsourced it's possible for two OEMs to have identical supplies (they build to specification and other requirements, maybe even components. We don't have proof of the same, so I'll just trust Corsair if they say CWT makes the TX series.

The other confusing thing is the very small difference in the output ratings between the TX and HX, and it's possible that they are identical and the upward revision of 30 watts is based on the connectors being non-modular and that being the only difference there.

I'd still go with the HX, I'm just a little more sure that way.

Lord Nemesis said:
Will take a few days for me to get it in my hands though I have already asked my dealer here to get it for me. You will probably get yours before I get mine in my hands. :p

Anyway, even the guy over at jonnyguru.com could not stress this PSU enough with their professional load generation equipment. :p

JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - Reviews - Corsair HX1000 Power Supply

From what I have seen, most reviewers agree that this PSU could have been easily rated as a 1100~1200W PSU by Corsair.

Yep read that review, and thats what made me go for it, I had to spend $290 for it and I could have got a 1100w or maybe 1200w but the reviews were awesome and so I went for it!

Will post as soon as I can do something with it! And good luck ur self playing with it! :)

TX650 is Seasonic OEM, I have seen thread in XS, where Corsair REP mentioned abt it @ its launch.

BTW I would buy any1 acc. to price. Yes it really matters when same quality SMPS is Rs. 500 cheaper, and non modular is not big issue, usually these days we have multiple HDDs, GPU which require 2 6Pin, fans blah blah, so hardly useless cable to hide in corner. And cables r very long fully sleeved. TX650 is more VFM in India.

Technically HX620 is single rail too, its advertised triple rail coz some Gurus feel multiple rail = more stability, even wiki agrees.

and HX series SMPS have issues with Abit mobos, Yes, I saw multiple threads @ AT forums, even some UPS etc issues.

HX 620 has issues with some ABIT mobos and APC USPS etc. TX has no issues with anything! TX is 650W HX is 620W, TX is also cheaper, if buying modular is important for u buy HX620. If u ask me i wud suggest the TX 650W!

Your Gurus read online reviews, i m telling you real world scenario. Both have 5 years warrantee, DUAL RAIL PSUs dont generally mean superior efficiency (this doesnot mean HX is not efficient, in fact it is one of the most silent PSUs around), Lately some real gurus have agreed SINGLE RAIL is best... so its your call as u gotta spend not me! :cool2: Understood DOOD?

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Yes sir- i have no issues with difference of opinion- due to which i am best of friends with people i seem to be debating stuff strongly online- touchwood. :)

But by being visibly offended- i cannot say the same for you maybe. :happy2:
And i appreciate 'correct' replies and a difference of opinion provided they are backed up with 'correct' facts. :)
If you do a comparo between the TX and HX, and have followed up on the history of oem manufacturers, evolution of multi-rail psus, reviews and opinions of H/W gurus, etc, you just might change your opinion too- unless you post something 'concrete' that makes me change mine.
I am hopefully getting a HX620 soon (when ideally a pure single rail is the order of the day for benching) and will get the TX650 instead if you prove HX is a dual rail psu or TX has better components than the HX or why a TX is better for a regular user over an HX. :hap2:

Update: One of my gurus tells me the TX650 is also Seasonic oem. - now this makes it a bit tougher to choose and will boil down to final circuitry and components used. :p

I hope Jonnyguru reviews the TX650 too- after having reviewed almost all the others. :)

Did Corsair just rewire the 'pseudo' triple rail HX620 into a proper single rail psu and label it TX? :lol:

Believe it or not CORSAIR rate their PSU in a very conservative/genuine way.

If they rate a PSU @ 500W it is can actually deliver more than the rated power.

Coolermaster on the other hand will rate a 500W PSU for 600 or even more!

That’s the way it is :cool2:

Lord Nemesis said:

3. DON'T LOSE POWER WITH MODULAR PLUGS

Due to their look, convenience, and cost savings for manufacturers, modular plugs have become a popular power supply feature. Unfortunately, there has been little or no discussion of the impact of this feature on overall performance and reliability. The fact is, modular plugs limit power by adding to electrical resistance. The voltage drop can be as much as would occur in 2 feet of standard wire. Worse yet, modular plugs utilize delicate pins that can easily loosen, corrode, and burn, creating the potential for a major system failure. That's why professional system builders specify uninterrupted wire!

More:

>> ARE MULTIPLE 12-VOLT RAILS BETTER THAN A SINGLE 12-VOLT RAIL?

With all the hype about multiple 12-volt rails (ads claim that two rails is better than one, five is better than four, etc.), you'd think it was a better design. Unfortunately, it's not!

Here are the facts: A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit) can transfer 100% of the 12-volt output from the PSU to the computer, while a multi-rail 12-volt design has distribution losses of up to 30% of the power supply's rating. Those losses occur because power literally gets "trapped" on under-utilized rails. For example, if the 12-volt rail that powers the CPU is rated for 17 amps and the CPU only uses 7A, the remaining 10A is unusable, since it is isolated from the rest of the system.

Since the maximum current from any one 12-volt rail of a multiple-rail PSU is limited to 20 amps (240VA / 12 volts = 20 amps), PCs with high-performance components that draw over 20 amps from the same rail are subject to over-current shutdowns. With power requirements for multiple processors and graphics cards continuing to grow, the multiple-rail design, with its 240VA limit per rail, is basically obsolete.

PC Power and Cooling is once again leading the industry. All of our power supplies now feature a large, single 12-volt rail. The design is favored by major processor and graphics companies, complies with EPS12V specs (the 240VA limit is not a requirement) and is approved by all major safety agencies such as UL and TUV.

A corsair rep posted this here

The manufacturer breaks down like this:

VX450 - Seasonic

VX550 - CWT

HX520 - Seasonic

HX620 - Seasonic

TX650 - Seasonic

TX750 - CWT

The TX650 is based on a revision of the S12-II design from Seasonic, with some small component changes and our own cable config (longer cables, fully sleeved, more connectors, etc).

You might find this thread useful...

I have a hx620 and find the modular cables really useful... I havnt used 5 of the modular cables...(got 5hdds,9800gtx, and e6600 connected without using them) If i had a tx650 then too many cables woulds be hanging out, also make sure you get a good ups too...

I stand corrected. In this case the TX definitely gets my vote. I apologise for not having researched this more thoroughly before I posted.

sangram said:

They look like twins to me :p .... One brother with a more muscle and one brother with more functionality. :hap2: ...

So the plot thickens....So finally it all boils down to what you want....

More current :jumpy: (goes out the window if you want a clean rig with just the essential devices)
or
Modularity :elvis: (goes out the window if u have a million devices to connect)

^nice way to put it

i dont have a million devices

nor will be consuming as much power as any of the psus can provide

so its more abt futureproofing than anything else...

oops...

stellarhopper posting from freestyler's home...

ok guys!
im utterly confused!

firs of all...can anyone experienced out here tell me abt the buy-back sys of prime abgb work?
ill be buyin this in exchange for my vip500 silver
any idea how much the prime guys will giv for it..
coz in their system, u hav to buy your product first by payin the full price..
then they send the product to be exchanged for evaluation and then giv us bak whatever price they hav decided after a few days...
so any idea abt how much i can expect?

on the other hand, another source has the hx620 and is willing to buy-back with immediate deduction in my price...
ALSO
someone mentioned that there are problems with hx620 on abit boards...
so should i stay away from the 620???
plz help...
mostly ill buy tomorrow itself...

stellarhopper said:
ok guys!
im utterly confused!

firs of all...can anyone experienced out here tell me abt the buy-back sys of prime abgb work?

on the other hand, another source has the hx620 and is willing to buy-back with immediate deduction in my price...

even I was wondering how much will I get for 1 yr old vip 500W gold from prime, a friend is willing to buy for 1700 but I dont know whether thats a fair price or not....

Aquamatrix said:
even I was wondering how much will I get for 1 yr old vip 500W gold from prime, a friend is willing to buy for 1700 but I dont know whether thats a fair price or not....

A CM460 extreme power plus is 1700/- odd and maybe better than that L&C 500W of yours- i hope you have the dual rail one.

Though a new 500W gold maybe still retailing for 2.5K, it's ridiculously overpriced imho.

If it's a friend- let it go for 1500/- (60% if new is 2.5K) or lower if you wish. :cool2:

And at 1500- he can't find a better working psu for sure if it's functionally perfect.

Coz all those iball/intex/Zebby value or platinum 400/500W, etc are PoS imho. :p
dunno how much Prime will 0ffer for it though- dealers don't offer more than 50-60% while taking back new psus bundled with cases- so ...

@bikey
psu wasnt bundled with a case...i bought it separately
(...if someone repraminds me on that again...they get flamed...)

50-60% of current value...
well, what IS the current value of a vip 500w silver??

rockfella said:
DUAL RAIL PSUs dont generally mean superior efficiency

You still stuck on dual rails 'dual rail dood'?? :lol:

Look at tejo's post- now that's a good post, backed up with facts. :cool2:

Sid also made a pretty valid point. :)

Somebody worried about three +12V rails in HX620?

A little late to the party, yet my two cents

Since the review of this power supply, some interesting observations have been made of Seasonic built power supplies claiming to have three rails...

Looking at the Seasonic main PCB inside the Corsair PSU reveals only two rails, labeled 12V1 and 12V2. There is no third rail. This is illustrated well at Hardware Secrets. Although I can not say that these rails are or are not somehow electronically separated in the PSU's circuitry somewhere, I did find that there was no OCP (over current protection or "limiter") on either of these rails as I was able to load any given connector up 30 to 40A with no drop in voltage, system shut down, etc.

So it is my opinion that we essentially have a single 12V rail PSU here. Certainly there is nothing wrong with this given the problems high end video cards have had with getting enough power from a single 12V rail when the OCP is set to the typical 240VA limit. But we do lose the advantages of multiple rails such as protection from damage to one rail from a short on another and the simple "filtration" of noise introduced from one rail to another.

JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - Reviews - Corsair HX620W 620W

Now this rail thingy is very confusing stuff. Multiple rail and single rail both have their advantages and disadvantages. But more than that, I think when it comes to PSU what really matters is the quality of components used inside the unit. This is one area where I think you can't go wrong with HX620 and TX650.

rockfella said:
More:

>> ARE MULTIPLE 12-VOLT RAILS BETTER THAN A SINGLE 12-VOLT RAIL?

With all the hype about multiple 12-volt rails (ads claim that two rails is better than one, five is better than four, etc.), you'd think it was a better design. Unfortunately, it's not!

Here are the facts: A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit) can transfer 100% of the 12-volt output from the PSU to the computer, while a multi-rail 12-volt design has distribution losses of up to 30% of the power supply's rating. Those losses occur because power literally gets "trapped" on under-utilized rails. For example, if the 12-volt rail that powers the CPU is rated for 17 amps and the CPU only uses 7A, the remaining 10A is unusable, since it is isolated from the rest of the system.

Since the maximum current from any one 12-volt rail of a multiple-rail PSU is limited to 20 amps (240VA / 12 volts = 20 amps), PCs with high-performance components that draw over 20 amps from the same rail are subject to over-current shutdowns. With power requirements for multiple processors and graphics cards continuing to grow, the multiple-rail design, with its 240VA limit per rail, is basically obsolete.

PC Power and Cooling is once again leading the industry. All of our power supplies now feature a large, single 12-volt rail. The design is favored by major processor and graphics companies, complies with EPS12V specs (the 240VA limit is not a requirement) and is approved by all major safety agencies such as UL and TUV.

I agree and disagree to this in some points,

Most 900+ W psu's have true 12v rails and if they are rated around 30A they are as good as ur cards would take, In my opinion the virtual rails are the ones to look out for.

Also most PSU's rated for 1000W or beyond have 2 or more 12v rail, like the corsair hx1000 one has 40A per 2 rails, and I doubt if any card will need beyond this!

And I'm not sure how much does, being modular or not affects, since it doesnt seem to come up on stress testing, and if it was such a major factor at all for high quality makes. And higher rated psu's are longer and cable clutter is not so easy to manage!

This should help

The "power supply FAQ" - jonnyGURU Forums

Thank you all for the excellent read. The TX650 actually looks more promising than the HX620.

btw, what's with the labels HX and TX? Now since both have been established to be Seasonics. IIRC VX = value ??

EDIT:

Attempts to diversify are common among PC component manufacturers, but these are not always marked by success. One of the most successful diversification attempts was made by Corsair nearly a year ago. Corsair, being a highly reputable RAM manufacturer at the time, released a small range of high class PSUs aimed towards enthusiasts, with the "HX series" moniker.

Corsair launched the VX series back in August and the TX series shortly after that. The VX series units are aimed towards the value-conscious PC users

The TX series consists of high output units but without unnecessary features or aesthetic add-ons, aimed towards enthusiasts who are seeking to get the best value out of their purchase.

Source

Back