MaRKiV

Adept
The earth as imaged by Voyager 1, leaving the solar system

carlsagan.jpg

[youtube]p86BPM1GV8M[/youtube]
We are so small! :ashamed:

"To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die"
- Carl Sagan​

Yes its amazing. Always I have been puzzled by this.
But Why?
Why are we here? why do we get born, live and then die? why the heck this Universe/s and the galaxies, stars in them? Whats the Motive?

Why?.....

A must watch video(see all the 5 parts). But AGAIN we may be wrong.
YouTube - Parallel Universes - Part 1

Gandhi the Mahatma's words (which was there incidentally on many NCERT books) - when you feel low and insignificant, look at someone below you, tinier than you (in this case viruses etc :p), and if you feel almighty and strong look at things which are colossal and way powerful than you are.

There I solved all your quandaries !

Peace ! :bleh:

Me and a friend from school has a nice chat on Carl Sagan and what he has said, on orkut, Being in the same feild, she was a big fan of this guy, when we were done, i was a fan of carl sagan too..

Something more moving from him

Carl Sagan was a highly popular astronomer and astrochemist who is also world famous for writing popular science books and poems. The following excerpt is taken from one of his writings "Pale blue dot." This piece talks about how Sagan viewed our planet from the outside, as the pale blue dot that would be the last thing any of us would see of it if we could ever leave our native parish and travel outbound through the eternal cold.

Read Sagan's words. They have that special kind of humility which only science can give, and which we cannot afford to forget. I came across this in one of my classes and thought I should share with you. Hope you like it :)

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

-- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

Some matters of life and death seem so trivial once you bring in "pale blue dot" perspective..It almost kills any and every goal or target you ever had, everything you do, is being done by a very very fine dot, on a planet that itself is a pale blue dot..Yet when you're done thinking, it gives you a thrill..Wow..

He said a lot of things in those few lines..phew..

That was a nice read..

iAUDJ said:
But Why?
Why are we here? why do we get born, live and then die? why the heck this Universe/s and the galaxies, stars in them? Whats the Motive?

Why?.....

Read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :)

iAUDJ said:
But Why?

Why?.....
answertolife.png

Back in B'bay I used to quite like going to my terrace at night and gazing at the stars. It's a wonderful feeling.

Btw, all planets beyond Mars are gaseous giants right? (i.e. there is no ground to stand on)

sydras said:
Back in B'bay I used to quite like going to my terrace at night and gazing at the stars. It's a wonderful feeling.

Btw, all planets beyond Mars are gaseous giants right? (i.e. there is no ground to stand on)

nope... The interior of Neptune and Uranus, are primarily composed of ices and rock and Pluto has hard ground... and its also a binary planet...

Pluto is interesting coz unlike other planets where the planet's satellite revolves around the planet... Pluto and its satellite major Charon revolve around each other like a binary star... :D

MaRKiV said:
nope... The interior of Neptune and Uranus, are primarily composed of ices and rock and Pluto has hard ground... and its also a binary planet...

You mean that there's a crust i.e. someday, a person could actually stand on Uranus/Neptune?

Pluto is interesting coz unlike other planets where the planet's satellite revolves around the planet... Pluto and its satellite major Charon revolve around each other like a binary star... :D

Hmm..I think they downgraded it to a satellite. Funny though....I still we all still consider it a planet.

sydras said:
You mean that there's a crust i.e. someday, a person could actually stand on Uranus/Neptune?

Yes ofcourse it has something hard to stand on...

the logic is this as u move away from the sun the temperature reduces so when water, hydrogen, methane and ammonia can stay gaseous and in liquid form (due to internal pressure and heat) in Jupiter and Saturn, this cannot be sustained in Uranus and Neptune... as the above mentioned compounds freeze to form a solid core... but the core is jus 15% of the radius of these planets.. :D

All said and done these are just speculations... until some space craft lands inside the planets of Uranus and Neptune we will never know of its composition and if there is hard crust... or these ice giants are also like jupiter and Neptune without a well defined boundary between atmosphere and land...

More info here

Back