Storage Solutions I bought a Seagate 7200.12 - 1TB HDD

hi guyz;

i bought a Seagate 7200.12 - 1TB HDD, from hyderabad for 4.4k.

will this perform better than 7200.11 1TB.

i heard 12th generation of seagate 7200 series are performing better than old 11th generation one's.

any one here using 7200.12 series. howz the performance.

any benchmark links would be appreciated.. :)

one more thing, does it have any firmware issues or break downs so far, like it's predecessor.

i want to use this for OS installation. so that i will get better performance for my Windows 7 and Windows vista, in benchmarks..

That's the revision number i.e. it may have some bug fixes based on the 7200 specs and previous version released by Seagate.

:OFFTOPIC:
^^Also your signature (...You cannot take Mumbai out of Mumbaikar...) made me think, what happens if you change name of Mumbai to Mumabhai, then will it (MUMBAI) still remain? :)

neojjjk said:
hi how is that Hd..I am also planning to buy this one....did u install OS?
Yes. I installed. 3 OS partition. 150GB each, 300GB for rest of applications.

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 running like a charm. ran HDTach give me good score as compared to my 7200.11 1TB HDD.

7200.12 gave an average transfer of 97.x MB/s
7200.11 gave an average transfer of 90.x MB/s or 87.x MB/s , i dont rem exactly. i rem 7200.12 has better transfer rate than, the other.

internal transfer rate is 160MB/s as compared to of 7200.11's 125 MB/s

the one thing i noticed, i thought it will show good score in windows 7 or Vista performance index.

But both of them (7200.11 and 7200.12) given a 5.9 only.

Rest everything in my score is above 7.x in windows 7 and Vista performance index. but windows 7 and Vista takes lowest subscore na. so it's taking 5.9 as over all performance index.

So saddd..

1 more thing. Still in EVEREST ULTIMATE it's not detecting the 32MB Cache for Hard disk. still it displays UNKNOWN.. What does that mean?

all 32MB cache drives has this problem ?

raksrules said:
What is this 11 and 12 at the end of RPM (7200.11) ??

It signifies Generation, 12 means it's 12th Generation on 7200 RPM Drives from Seagate.

Seagate says 7200.12 is more energy efficient, low noise, and more density per platter.

Typically 1 TB will have 2 platters of 500GB each, which will help in fetching data fastly. since there is only 2 platters to seek.

in case of older drives 3,4 platters will be there and area density will be low and seeking will be slow.

Yeah 7200.11 series also have single platter or two platter drives i think. 640GB or something, just i remember read somewhere. not sure. correct me if i'm wrong..
rajndra said:
That's the revision number i.e. it may have some bug fixes based on the 7200 specs and previous version released by Seagate.

WRONG. i accept it's REvision number, but it's not based on bugfix. it's based on innovations..

I will never buy Seagate Hard Disk's again in my life. I recently brought a new 1TB Seagate hard disk and installed windows xp on it. For some days the hard disk worked fine. After sometime my OS started becoming very slow. I had no idea what is happening. I initially taught it could be some virus or some windows update problem. I re-installed the OS but still the problem existed. I did some research and found that it was a hard disk problem. I had to install a new firmware for the hard disk. This shows what poor quality of testing is done on seagate drives. Go for WD that is the best. Never a single problem.

hash said:
.11 and .12 AFAIK are firmwares. And seagate had many issues with .11 firmware.

That's not true.

it's not firmware revision buddy.

it's Technology Revision. i already mentioned that. it's GENERATION..

Apple has IPOD 1st generation 2nd generation right,

ipod shuffle has different generation with different look in feel and functionalities right?

like that .11 and .12 are GENERATIONS..
nilsnaik said:
I will never buy Seagate Hard Disk's again in my life. I recently brought a new 1TB Seagate hard disk and installed windows xp on it. For some days the hard disk worked fine. After sometime my OS started becoming very slow. I had no idea what is happening. I initially taught it could be some virus or some windows update problem. I re-installed the OS but still the problem existed. I did some research and found that it was a hard disk problem. I had to install a new firmware for the hard disk. This shows what poor quality of testing is done on seagate drives. Go for WD that is the best. Never a single problem.

Seagate is good rather than, WDC.

i have been a seagate FAN since their 2 GB, 4.3 GB HDD in earlier age.

only one or 2 times i had break down.

ya previously 7200.11 has issues. those are fixed with firmware issues and works perfectly for last 6 months above, 24 x 7..

Your problem might be becuase of poor sata cable also. i had this problem. i replaced all my cables with fresh, high quality ones and since then no issues at all.

some times sata cable might get loose, this also will cause slow down..

im telling this from my experience. i got this Suggestions from MSI FORUM HQ.

those worked for me.. :hap2:

I have a Seagate 160GB 7200.12 with windows7 installed and its running like a charm

I also have a secondary WD 500GB which is also not bad

But i still prefer WD over Seagate(Just personal taste)

hemant0285 said:
wat ever it is don go for 11th gen.. they have firmware issues.... chk my post http://www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/st3500320as-7200-11-dead-seagate-s-144146.html
and chek Seagate s site also... go for 12th gen i.e 7200.12
See after firmware update, all 7200.11 drives are working fine..

only few like urs are have this issue. might be becoz the way u use it, for that u shud n't blame all 7200.11 drives.recent all 7200.11 drives are fixed with latest firmware.

more over i have 3, 7200.11 drives

st3500320as
st3500640as
and 1 T B drives.

before firmware update i had issues. after firmware update, it's been more than 6 month. running 24 x 7. so don't just blame on, simply we had problem..

might be u haven't update firmware or the way you use it. :)

My system has a 80GB Seagate which was bought in 2002. Still going good with no issues. Have another 320GB Seagate. Its now 3 years old. No issues till now. Both are 7200rpm.

Lot of users are disappointed from seagate coz of 7200.11 . We have had a lot ST drives in my house. I have been using it ever since barracuda ataIV (the days when it failed 2-3 times in 6 months) .They repaired all the HDDs those days so it failed every now and then .

7200.12 rocks and is the best HDD in the market .
hdtunebenchmarkst350041.png

hdtunebenchmarkst350041d.png

The performance differnce is great .

7200.10 IDE
hdtunebenchmarkst380215.png

Newer generation drives have much performance difference from older 7200rpm ones (be it hitachi,Sam,WD)

Back