Storage Solutions I want a new external hdd

WD or Seagate are equally good choices and WD is very reliable plus you get onsite service which hopefully will never be required considering you will use it for backup.

The attachable pins for the power adapter are different and requires a multi-plug converter. It works with spikeguards so again it is not a huge issue. This was the only flaw I found with WD when I bought it last year apart from that there are no issues.

WD or Seagate are equally good choices, and you will get an external HDD in that range. Also if you have not ordered thru letsbuy.com, do check, as the rates will be less by 300~500 bucks compared to other sites with the use of a coupon, hopefully. On matters of reliability, when you get the drive, do a complete check using hd tune. if all clear then only start using the drive.

Also since it is going to be used with a lappie 24x7, is there any chance the lappie has an esata/USB3 connection? In which case, select the appropriate version too, if available at a similar cost.

Finally if the lappie is on 24x7 because you are using it as a download rig, would suggest using a dedicated device such as a router/NAS adapter/pogo plug for downloading, as the amount of power consumed for the laptop will be much higher. Also do remember to remove the laptop battery, if it is connected to mains all the time, to ensure that battery level do not drop.

Back