CPU/Mobo I7 920 or I5 2500 k

kingdomraj

Disciple
Hi, I am using a Q9650 with X48 gigabyte board... Planning to upgrade.
Want to know if I should settle for I7 920 (second hand) or I5 2500
(New one )
My usage is casual gaming, but I like it 1080 p... Using a 4870 graphics.. plan to upgrade that too in days to come... Please suggest..
Will also like to know if i should upgrade at all
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Also will like to add that I wanted to upgrade because my current mb doesn't support DDR 3

Whats your budget? Are you looking to overclock.

If you dont OC then get a i5 2500 and H67

If you want to OC or want XFire or SLI support then the i5 2500K and P67

The i5 2500K consumes much lesser power than the i7 920 and is more powerful too. The K series is also easy to OC due to the unlocked multi.

No point in investing in a X58 platform unless you get a superb deal and dont have the budget for a new SB platform.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

AnandTech - Bench - CPU

I can spend around 25 k (upper limit ) for mb + Cpu..

Also I don't oc at all. I use the same pc for gaming, downloading rig, watching movies... Almost everything... Luv to play games like Dirt 3 once in a while... Use the pc with my 32 inch led tv..

Use laptop only when on travel...

save for 2600k or wait ur cpu is plenty powerful(equal to 955be) just get gpu and wait for x79 or whatever.

Just oc your cpu first you will be fine you have a sweet board as well.

A Q9650 irrespective of speed is much slower in real performance compared to a Core i5 SB, in terms of real world smoothness, irrespective of FPS. You won't regret it, I promise.

What part of casual gamer movie watcher is hard to understand :p He doesnt need to spend he can get DX11 gpu and a good one with his budget and game.

If you have anything like a 6800 or 5800 series card, a CPU upgrade will probably help smoothness much more than a gpu upgrade. I know because I have seen how poor CPUs like AMD 64 3200 with 1900xtx and C2D with 4850 really suffer and really needed a faster CPU and not a GPU.

Purchasing an i7 920 is waste of money now even if its a second hand purchase. Either stick to your existing CPU or get a i5 2500 along with a good H67/Z68 board. No point going for 'K' series CPU or if you don't intend to overclock.

If you dont OC then get a non-K i5 2400 ~ 9.3k and a H67 mobo like the MSI H67MA-E35 ~ 4.7k and a HD6870 ~ 11.4k

So,

i5 2400 ~ 9.3k

MSI H67MA-E35(B3) ~ 4.7k (Alternate choices: Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3 ~ 5.3k or Intel DH67BL (B3) ~ 5.3k)

GSkill Ripjaws 1600MHz 4GB CL9 ~ 2.3k

AMD Raedon HD6870 ~ 11.4k or Nvidia GTX560Ti Twin FrozerII 1GB GDDR5 ~ 14k

Total: ~ 27.7k or 30.3k (You would end up with a budget of around ~29-30k after selling your HD4870)

Dude ur requirement is the issue here.
For casual gaming ur gpu and cpu r quiet sufficient.
If you want an improvement in gaming performance, u will have to first upgrade to a better gpu for in ur case, the 4870 aint gonna make gaming performance any better even with the best cpu's out there.
Ur current cpu is fast enuf to handle all current games and has enuf legroom to support a newer faster gpu too without a bottleneck.

In ur case, gpu first, cpu later............

I would recommend a 6950 2gb as that will pwn a 6870 1gb and just costs about 4.5-5.5k more.

But the rest of the rig suggested seems good :)

GPU is required for quality gameplay, not for more hours. I barely game 5-10 hours a week, but my rig is worth nearly 2 lacs with upgrades of over 50-60 grands a year.

kingdomraj said:
Hi, I am using a Q9650 with X48 gigabyte board... Planning to upgrade.

Want to know if I should settle for I7 920 (second hand) or I5 2500

(New one )

My usage is casual gaming, but I like it 1080 p... Using a 4870 graphics.. plan to upgrade that too in days to come... Please suggest..

Will also like to know if i should upgrade at all

Also will like to add that I wanted to upgrade because my current mb doesn't support DDR 3

The DDR3 memory is not going to make a world of difference. Currently while gaming at 1080pi on the LGA775 Quad+HD4870, you facing any game play environ degradation..? What settings you play at, which games..?

rite said:
GPU is required for quality gameplay, not for more hours. I barely game 5-10 hours a week, but my rig is worth nearly 2 lacs with upgrades of over 50-60 grands a year.

^^ Excuse me Mr. Rite, but casual gaming does not mean playing hardcore games for short lengths of time, It usually means playing simplistic games that don't have a huge learning curve and don't usually employ complex graphics or other game play elements in order to keep production costs low.

Solitaire is an example of a Casual game. Angry birds is an example of a casual game. They are not heavy on system resources, They have little learning curve and no matter how many hours you play it each day, they are still casual games.

Casual game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For just HD videos and low end gaming, a 6670 for 5k is way more than enough I guess. In fact, he need not even replace his 4870 for that.

So ideally if someone wants to really advice him, shudnt the advice just be to hold on to what you got son and upgrade later if and when ur system cant handle it no more???

Just my 2 cents......

Thanks a lot mates.... Now I have a more clear picture...

So I need to change my gpu.. and that will do the needful as per ur suggestions...

Now the problem is that my dad needs a pc for our hospital... And

I have an option of giving my old pc n purchasing a new one ( for myself)... Thats why I needed suggestion for an upgrade.. from what everyone has suggested I understand that I5 2500 will suffice my requirement with a gfx card upgrade and I5 2500 is superior n better option to I7 920 with a x 58 mobo...

Now that thing I wanted to know is if anyone can tell me if I5 2500 is same as I 2500K. If I don't plan to oc.

And suggest me one vfm mobo for the same

Thanks guys

Back