Graphic Cards Ideal GFX card for existing config.

v1gnesh

Adept
Hello!

Please check my signature for my current config. I want to buy a new GFX card. From what I've read, it looks like PCI-Express 3.0 card is supported on a board with just PCI-Express 2.0, with the constraint that the device will run in 2.0 speeds.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Abit IP35-E
Transcend 2x 1GB 800MHz
Tagan StoneRock Series TG500-U37
Palit 9600 GSO 384MB (Dead card)

I'm looking at GTX 650, 650 Ti, or 660.

Let me know which one would be ideal.

Thanks!

PS: Since the setup is 6 years old, I don't think I can reuse any other part in the future, expect maybe for this GFX card.

Last edited:
What do you say I upgrade my house as well?

I mean GPU when I say GPU. I'm aware that either of these cards' performance will not be 100% with PCI-E 2.0

I mean GPU when I say GPU. I'm aware that either of these cards' performance will not be 100% with PCI-E 2.0
There is negligible/no difference when using pcle 2.0 or pcle 3.0 at x16 speeds

What do you say I upgrade my house as well?
Thats up to you to decide :p

You'll need to upgrade the PSU as the current one is crap. Also, is that motherboard 'Amit' or 'Abit'?

Surprised to see you did not heard about Abit before :D it was world's one of the best motherboard manufacturer. Many old timer OCers can still vouch on the quality of OC they have achieved on a good Abit / DFI motherboard. Abit was the first which introduced us to bios based OCing instead of fiddling with jumpers to oc cpu.

Back