Storage Solutions Idle HDD - will it cause damage?

fash_1

Disciple
I busted my PC's RAM about five months ago. And the whole computer has been lying idle ever since. I was running an IDE 80GB HDD when my comp was running fine, and it stores a LOT of important data. Am planning to buy a notebook in a couple of months, as a replacement for the PC and am planning to transfer the data to the notebook before i sell off the old PC.

I just wanted to know, as the HDD (which is stored safetly, away from dust and heat) is just sitting idle for the past five months, is there a risk that i may lose the data stored in it? :no:

Many Thanks,

fash_1 said:
I busted my PC's RAM about five months ago. And the whole computer has been lying idle ever since. I was running an IDE 80GB HDD when my comp was running fine, and it stores a LOT of important data. Am planning to buy a notebook in a couple of months, as a replacement for the PC and am planning to transfer the data to the notebook before i sell off the old PC.

I just wanted to know, as the HDD (which is stored safetly, away from dust and heat) is just sitting idle for the past five months, is there a risk that i may lose the data stored in it? :no:

Many Thanks,

No. Lying idle will NOT lead to data loss. At least for a couple of months. A period like 5 yrs plus, I duno, hte magnetism has to get scrambled eventually, but I doubt thats an issue in here :)

my old hdd was lying idle for the past 8 months or so..

hooked it up to my comp recently n all the data is still intact..

had kept it in the drawer of my cupboard.. dont think its gonna be a problem..

Back