If audio can be streamed over bluetooth why not music w/o A2DP ?

cyrux

Adept
I have this doubt in my mind since a few days. I have a Nokia 6681 which supports Bluetooth but doesnt have A2DP. Now , its possible for me to stream audio when on a call to a bluetooth enabled headset .
Why isnt it possible for me to stream music using the same feature. Why is A2DP necessary ?
Is it because stereo music requires more bandwidth than audio phone calls or something else .
If bandwidth is the problem we can downgrade the quality and stream it ...

Most likely because one of your devices supports A2DP and one doesn't... or it's your bluetooth stack. It's a royal pain in the a**, I wish they would just get rid of it. I have the A590 Plantronics Stereo Bluetooth headset and it supports just about any bluetooth communication and has a mic too but not A2DP, I had to get a hacked bluetooth stack to be able to enable all of my headset features.

Its like why you have stereo music players and mono players...

If you have A2DP compatible phone and headset, you will be able to hear music in stereo i.e 2 channels, both right and left side...

However if your phone isnt A2DP, but your headset it A2DP, if you listen to music over it you would only get it in one side...

you will be able to hear music in stereo i.e 2 channels

Was confused a little about A2DP, it's my bluetooth dongle for the computer that doesn't support it, I need to get a new one :p. After your comment, I had to check and make sure :D. My headphones do support it.

Back