If you were head of a TV channel for a week...

6pack

ex-Mod
What things would you do differently?
Or how will you run the channel differently?

I would make the news anchors not talk in loud hysterical voices. Then I would ask them to search for positive news stories and show those on TV. I would also try to expand coverage to every field like new inventions, tech stuff etc rather than just show only politics or only negative stuff that happened. I would also ask them not to glorify or sensationalise news items. Showing news from a neutral view point would be my motto.
Last, I would try to keep repeat news to a minimum.

Change the Title to TV News.

You cannot avoid repetition of news because all these channels are 24x7 and you cannot really always generate news so they keep rehashing the same content full day.
People watch for sensationalism and that drives these channels so avoiding being sensational may get your channel appreciation of limited few but on mass level it will lose TRP and if you lose TRP you lose advertisers and your channel will eventually shut down.

Change the Title to TV News.

You cannot avoid repetition of news because all these channels are 24x7 and you cannot really always generate news so they keep rehashing the same content full day.
People watch for sensationalism and that drives these channels so avoiding being sensational may get your channel appreciation of limited few but on mass level it will lose TRP and if you lose TRP you lose advertisers and your channel will eventually shut down.
I tried changing the title but nothing happened. Have reported it to a mod to get it changed.

You answered the post like a typical business minded guy.
News gets repeated since they don't show all the news. Don't say that besides politics and crime/Bollywood/ cricket there isn't anything else worthwhile to show in news.
People don't watch news for entertainment. For that there are the saas bahu serials in plenty. If TRP was all that mattered then being in that business is the wrong decision. Entertainment channels will always have higher trp ratings. I don't see advertisers running away from news channels. Seems to me ads have increased constantly.

By your reasoning, BBC should have shut down long time back. Never mind its run by a govt, but look at the programming content they put out. Shows like Planets, universe, lots of documentaries, etc. Ultimately they sell these shows on DVD or bluray to make money. There are lots of ways to show decent content without thinking of useless ratings.

My point is you can always cross subsidize one channel with another two which rake in money.

I would make the news anchors not talk in loud hysterical voices. Then I would ask them to search for positive news stories and show those on TV. I would also try to expand coverage to every field like new inventions, tech stuff etc rather than just show only politics or only negative stuff that happened. I would also ask them not to glorify or sensationalise news items. Showing news from a neutral view point would be my motto.
Last, I would try to keep repeat news to a minimum.

So in a nutshell, you want do an 80's Door-Darshan. :p

Lol I am no business minded. If I had business mind I won't be stuck in an IT company. :p
Problem is that it is very difficult to make people accept stuff other than news on news channels. When they do they come up with the biggest crap like Aliens picking up cows and Himesh Rehamiya.

Doordarshan is good even now. Their ddnews channel has some good documentaries or talk shows on subjects like pollution, some health shows etc.
There are some good documentaries on Lok sabha channel too.
Plus news reporters on did don't shout or talk agitatedly. Like some mad dog is trying to bite their legs.

Even NDTV India has one or two good documentaries like that Ravish guy who goes here and there in Delhi slum or other places like hospitals etc. They should show more such stuff instead of repeating same news 24 times a day.

^^ i didn't mean to say that DD was/is bad... whatever you wanted do to as a head of a news channel matches the description of 80's DD news. i thought you were feeling nostalgic. :p

i still watch various DD channels. Lok Sabha channel is one my regulars for the last 5 years.

^ yeah I know you didn't mean anything bad. :)
I was just thinking if DD still retains that goodish type of behavior, why can't other channels do the same?
DD was bit pro congress these last few years though. Should have been neutral in their views.

If I was the head of a TV channel for a week, what would I do?

First I would create a time slot 3 AM to 4 AM in which I would show ads from all the sponsors of every show. In a Tiny box I will display the shows names which are being sponsored by the particular ad. This would ofcourse lead to the channel shutting down but not soon enough atleast not in a week ;)
Show the good shows from 80s and 90s Doordarshan, early Zee TV and Home TV.
Get rid of crappy cartoons like Ben 10... whatever else goes on in the name of cartoons these days. Instead reintroduce Power Zone, GI Joe, TMNT etc., Considering shows are generally 21 minutes long I would fill the remainder with SPAAAACE Ghooost (I love saying SPAAAACE Ghooooost). Will also add good anime.

By the end of the week people will be so addicted to the channel that it will have to continue.

P.S.: SPAAAACE Ghoooost......

i also want to do one thing at the time slots of Saas Bahu Program according to which i will display the OLD Doordarshan Chakra which rotates and a tune was playing "Anyone Remember".
This gonna be really soothing than those Saas Bahu Program.

If I was the head of a TV channel for a week, what would I do?

First I would create a time slot 3 AM to 4 AM in which I would show ads from all the sponsors of every show. In a Tiny box I will display the shows names which are being sponsored by the particular ad. This would ofcourse lead to the channel shutting down but not soon enough atleast not in a week ;)
Show the good shows from 80s and 90s Doordarshan, early Zee TV and Home TV.
Get rid of crappy cartoons like Ben 10... whatever else goes on in the name of cartoons these days. Instead reintroduce Power Zone, GI Joe, TMNT etc., Considering shows are generally 21 minutes long I would fill the remainder with SPAAAACE Ghooost (I love saying SPAAAACE Ghooooost). Will also add good anime.

By the end of the week people will be so addicted to the channel that it will have to continue.

P.S.: SPAAAACE Ghoooost......

That is a bad idea, a few years back i downloaded a ton of old cartoons I used to like including Space Ghost. The memories you have of those shows is kinda ruined when you watch it again after years, Space ghost for e.g., spends half of the time in space talking to himself.
Also Biirrrrrrrdman & Miiiggghhttor

Firstly, bring all shows to India on time - Top Gear, Castle, The Simpsons etc. Show them the next day, but not later than that.

Secondly, start a Call/SMS/eVote campaign - vote for change - your show of choice and character of choice. If many votes are in favour of changing any person - voila - instant plastic surgery on the show (replacing the character :p)

Finally, news channels must run one documentary every day.

As for me - I would just turn the damn TV off and surf the net.

+1 to shutting down saas-bahu serials.

Also shut down India TV like channels which spread misinformation & supertitions.

And I will bring back the Cartoon Network on 1990s with a unique cartoon every half an hour instead of ever repeating of ben10.

Back