Import Consumer Electronics worth 50k (instead of 2k earlier) without an Import/Export license

Where is it written no duty ?
Personal use has increased to 50k but duty will exist . Only advantage is now a import license is not required for expensive items . Many people here in TE have had horror stories of customs asking for Import license then people running to agents to get items cleared

People have been fined with duty making total charges more than the item also . Now no fines only duty as per rates and other taxes .

Duty free is still hearing and life saving devices etc only

If I buy a phone around 40,000 overseas and importing it. What would the extra amounts I need to pay now?? There are so much tax charges. They leviated just one.

Levi-ooooo-sa
Booooooom!

This wand does not work! :sweat:

Jokes aside, won't the custom guys still add counter vailing duty on all items? All the items I bought from outside India had this CVD tax put on them.

Last edited:
The title needs to be changed.
Customs duty is still the same. The only thing that has changed is that now you can import Consumer Electronics worth 50k (instead of 2k earlier) without the need of having an Import/Export license.

^This.
Also, this news is misleading as someone already mentioned in another thread.
Earlier there was a limit of Rs. 2000 on products above which Govt would charge a flat rate of 41.492 percent. Now, that limit has been increased to Rs. 50,000/-.

Here is what I found one digging further

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 234
Here is what I found one digging further
It's quite strange that you posted the thread without even going through this first.
The part that was amended is Section 3(1)(i)(h) of the Foreign Trade Act which actually lists all the agencies and items that can import/be imported without an Import license.

Back