Laptops import duty?

amit_talkin

Disciple
Hi guys,

1st of all, it seems to be a general question which most of ppl ask. I tried to search a lot on google but havent yet found proper answer regarding this.

My friend has bought a laptop in USA in behalf of me. Now I want to import it to India. I have no relatives or friends coming India from there, within next months, so I have to import it by mail. Now, my question is that how much import duty ( in % ) I will have to pay? my friend told me that it is about 18% ( including education tax + cez ). I am not sure about this.

So, my question is that how much import duty I need to pay if....

1. Import laptop as a gift , stated price Rs.30k.

2. Import as sample item ( does this need import/export license? ) as someone told me that sample items can be imported without duty??

3. Import laptop as private usage item.

Suggest me a better way ( except importing with NRI friend or relative ) :).

Amit

axeman said:
You should give your friend this: CLEARANCE OF INCOMING PASSENGERS

:) thanks for the heads-up harish!
:cool2:
Correct me if I am wrong, the link that you have provided states all the charges when a passenger is carrying good with him/her...but in Amit's case here, as mentioned in his first post, he wanted his friend to send it by mail to India...what will be the custom charge in that case?

Mail is a problem, assuming DHL/ Fedex they will pay up the full possible rates:

X Rs - Cost of Laptop in the US

PLUS

15.5% of X Rs as Customs Tax

PLUS

~4-6% Other Tax, Handling Charges etc

in Mumbai/ Thane/ some other locations:

5.5% of (X Rs+Customs+Tax) as Octroi Tax or as applicable if any.

Call up the toll free of DHL/ Fedex and just ask them cost of import duty on a laptop valued at 50,000 in the US.

if you can get it by hand with someone do that. Else call up KMD from our forum, and ask if he can arrange for the shipping, if you get it delivered to him in the US.

thanks for your replies friends :).
I have sent a PM to KMD, waiting for his reply.
I also called to custom office at Ahmedabad, they told me to contact to airport:huh:!! they said tht at Airport they will tell me what duty you need to pay!! I said I am not the passenger , I want to import it by mail! Again she argued that I need to call to airport custom...wtf!! When I called the number she gave me, none received it, I called them 4-5 times in a day, but never got it received:mad:! bloody govt. employees!

You also need to take into account the shipping cost by FedEx or DHL if you are going to ship it yourself. That itself will come to a considerable amount.

Call local Fedex guys and enquire. Customs guys will not commit to anything without goods in hand.

varkey said:
You also need to take into account the shipping cost by FedEx or DHL if you are going to ship it yourself. That itself will come to a considerable amount.

USPS Global Express ( 7 days delivery ) $61 USD.
I am just worried about custom:ill:. Because I have never imported goods like laptop. ( I have imported all components of my PC in parts from there without paying any customs. I know these custom's guys think tht motherboard costs only around 5k :D ).

Just about 2 months ago I had imported one big package containing
1x boxed i7 920 CPU
1x AsRock x58 Extreme mobo.
1x boxed CM V8 cooler
1x boxed QuadroFX1400
6GB G.SKill DDR3-1600 kit
1x JVC HA-RX700 Headphone

That time I had to pay Rs.1900 as custom duty :) (I dont know how much price they calculated for all components ). and thts only because my friend forgot to mark package as gift! Otherwise I am sure I didnt have to pay duty for that :D.

Its like it all depends on their mood, sometimes they dont charge duty, sometimes they do! If they dont know which kinda product is imported, ( lets say a high-end GPU ) they wont charge duty if sent as gift! believe me, I have visited Ahmedabad customs office twice! ( 1st time I visited to release my imported phone and 2nd time a telescope I had imported for my cousin , )and I know which kinda people working there. But laptop is a well known 'gadget' and they know that none of newer laptops comes under 10k , otherwise I wouldnt have started this thread :D

Okey, I have been told from trusted sources that import duty is 18%!

I have imported the lappy with USPS Express Mail, shipment is in transit.

Shipping charges are $86.05 ( 10lbs, with insurance ). Declared price of parcel is $550 USD. I will update this topic when I will receive parcel :)

Amit

Back