Graphic Cards Important RiG For 3d Animation and Gaming

aliboy

Disciple
Hi freinds i need yes need in 1 week a new computer as i my craptop has died so here goes
Q9550 Intel Quad - 16K
Asus P5Q Deluxe - 12K
RAM DDR2 800 ----?
4GB

PS- 650 Corsair --6k

Cooler master CM 690

M+K : Iball Deskset Cherry ( IT looks sweet)

Monitor 22inch pls pls suggest im really confused 15 K or less

now here comes total confusion
Palit 4870 1GB---17k or XFX GTX 260 Core 216 ---21k
I will be using this Comp for MAYA, MUDBOX, 3DS MAX, SHAKE, FUSION,Z BRUSH, CS3 ADobe Ect Ect....

I aslo like to game so pls dont suggest quadros and ruin my fun :)

i think this mobo is better GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

as for ram you might want to look at 8gb.. its so cheap these days. why not?

psu choose corsair, dont forget a good heatsink for your proccy as well.

i wouldnt advise you to spend so much on a graphic card. buy something withing 7to8k or maybe lesser range. it pains to see those expensive graphic cards selling dirt cheap within few months.

p.s. shake is available on linux? for sure there is no window version out there

Core i7 920 @ 16.5K

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-DS4 from Newegg (Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-DS4 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards) @ around 16K. Or else you can get P6T Delux from Asus that should be around 18 to 19K locally.

Get a cheapest 3X1GB DDR3 kit from newegg

Get your video card from Newegg. Get either 4870 1GB or GTX260 core 216. You are bound to save at least 6K as compared to getting them locally. Also, your choice depends on the monitor (see below).

Almost all 22" monitors are TN panels and I am not sure how well suited they are for your work. If you need accurate colours look for some 19" monitor which is not TN. If you must get 22" benq 2200HD is quite good.

Consider 650W Antec Earthwatts. It's around 5.2K and that makes it a better deal than Corsair PSU. Also, don't forget that nowadays, corsair support sux in India :p

This config will raise your budget by around 10 to 15K but it's worth every penny. Intel has created i7 processors specifically for people like you. In games they don't give much performance advantage but in work related to video and 3D they rip-apart anything which is available.

If you find i7 rig a little expensive, wait for two to three weeks. Phenom II are coming and they are expected to beat Yorkfields easily. They should provide a nice boost as far as 3d work is concerned.

I live in Mumbai India...so pls something i can buy from lamington....I dont want to go i7 right now it too expensive for just the slowest one. and i heard from everyone yes everyone that asus p5q (p45) motherboard and q9550 combos are great

The most important help i need is the graphics card im totally confused one guy told me dude i took out my 260 and now he has a 4870 another guy said i have both and i keep my 4870 in the cupboard lol ....i spoke to a graphic engineer and vetran 3d user he said 48 series cards are way better in direct 3d and Win xp 64 and another guy who tested the cards said 8800gtx>Gtx 260>Ati4870 he both nvdia and ati there is not much difference.:S

Hi Alistiar,

The silly reason gtx 260 is more expensive is nvidia and their ridiculous UMAP pricing policy. Anyway, even if it was cheaper, (much cheaper as it should be) I'd have hard time recommending it unless it was like 50% cheaper or so than 4870.
I am 100% sure that 4870 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than gtx 280 for 3ds Max. Just make sure to be using win xp (x64) for full performance. Both nvidia and ati cards suffer 98% speed penalty when working in vista. Even with that penalty they can move 5million+ polyogns in real time. These cards are monsters, and while ati IS faster- this difference is more synthetic as there are high chances you will never approach 20% GPU speed capacity while working on 3d content. These cards can push billions of polygons in real time. CPU and your system RAM will likely limit you much sooner than your GPU ever would.
Naturally all of this applies to directx (direct3d) since openGL is slow/ugly/bad.
im not talking about large scenes just simple small
things like a high poly car or character and low poly animation .
I'm not sure what you had before, but 8800gt or (better yet) 4850 are more than suitable for this. 4850 is 20% slower than 4870 on avarage- ie too fast for max at price too redicilous to speak of.

Consider geting 1gb version of the cards- not because i think you'll need it, but since the price difference is laughable for 2x more video ram- and it might come in handy if you ever work on 100m poly scene.

thats correct, your gpu is not going to limit you unless youre going to handle large scenes with too many polys, what you need is a good proccy (with as many cores as possible) and lotsa ram.. btw what kinda scenes will you be handling on the pc?

since you don't seem to be knowing about him, let me tell you about kmd a.k.a katmandude.

this chap is a dealer who sells products here on TE. If you browse down to the Dealers Paradise section of the forums, here, you will find a thread run by kmd called 'Anything from Amazon, Newegg, etc...'

Basically what you need to do is froogle for the best rates you can find for whatever you need at websites based in the states like newegg/amazon/buy.com You then pass a link for the product on the site you just came up with.

kmd gets back to you in a day or two with his charges for getting you that product from the states. what this means for you is that, you will get any product you want albiet at slightly higher than US rates(20-25%, those being kmd's cover charges for sourcing stuff the US).

you can easily get a GTX260/HD4870 for around 12-12.5k through him

The only major downer of this whole thing will be that you will have to pay around 1-1.5k to get your hardware rma'd each time it conks off.

ps- keeping further upgradability in mind, the core i7 would make an awesome rig if you can afford it. Also, regarding your pals advice to get a 4850.. don't take his word for it.. remember that you also intend to game.. you'll be better served by the 4870/gtx260 if you wanna game.

aliboy said:
I live in Mumbai India...so pls something i can buy from lamington....I dont want to go i7 right now it too expensive for just the slowest one. and i heard from everyone yes everyone that asus p5q (p45) motherboard and q9550 combos are great

The most important help i need is the graphics card im totally confused one guy told me dude i took out my 260 and now he has a 4870 another guy said i have both and i keep my 4870 in the cupboard lol ....i spoke to a graphic engineer and vetran 3d user he said 48 series cards are way better in direct 3d and Win xp 64 and another guy who tested the cards said 8800gtx>Gtx 260>Ati4870 he both nvdia and ati there is not much difference.:S
GPU is not that important for you. CPU is. Even the slowest Nehalem (i7 920) spanks Intel's previous gen extreme processors silly in 3D work and multi-threaded tasks. If you can afford it, go for i7 rig. You won't regret it. If you would have been a gamer, I would have said get Q9550+P45 mobo but for your work that is an outed platform now.

As for Newegg and product availability, I hope you have gone through stalker's post

Ok im running out of time...75k im on q9550 based system asus P45 and 1GB Ati + 22incher 4gb ddr2
86k is Dells New Studio XPS COre i7 PC Comes packed with features but a shitty power supply (320w i think) and just a regular 4850...

I aslo read to build the Dell System by yourself is way way way way more expensive...so you temme from a 75k q9550 which i have seen many people buying lately..... where do i need to go for a core i7 in terms of buget....dont tell me 90K plus please ( i dont mind taking a cheap graphics card and getting a new one later in the year When prices are stable :ashamed:

it all comes down to this. 1- can you utilize the i7's processing power, like you need to render long animation sequence at the moment in short time, 2- how much money are you going to generate by utilizing your system on hourly basis.

for example if youre handling very light scenes and not rendering long animation sequences then go for something which is bang for bucks and not going to lose its value within a month or two.. then sell that rig and maybe buy an i7 rig when prices are down... but if you think you can make more money by cutting short the time in your work by using i7 then go for it.

you dont want to have an i7 sitting idle or doing tasks that a q6600 can handle losing its value everyday

quadro fx card is not such a good idea.. first of all they are insanely priced in india.. not that they are not at a higher price in other places... and now gaming cards are pretty decent too for all 3d work

joyceanblue said:
it all comes down to this. 1- can you utilize the i7's processing power, like you need to render long animation sequence at the moment in short time, 2- how much money are you going to generate by utilizing your system on hourly basis.

for example if youre handling very light scenes and not rendering long animation sequences then go for something which is bang for bucks and not going to lose its value within a month or two.. then sell that rig and maybe buy an i7 rig when prices are down... but if you think you can make more money by cutting short the time in your work by using i7 then go for it.

you dont want to have an i7 sitting idle or doing tasks that a q6600 can handle losing its value everyday

+1 :)

If you are going to use this rig professionally, then get the core i7 if you feel the cost is justified to you. If you are still learning 3D, then even a q6600 is more than enough. Just because you have the dough doesn't mean you need to spend it :p

No you guys are getting the wrong idea im saying.... Q9550 + P45 = 17k+13k and then i have to get rid of all the stuff ram cpu motherboard and then again have to buy motherboard, cpu, ram, new.....

Or If im getting the i7 for 15 + a 16k + or - (5K) x58 Motherboard + 2GB DD3 RAM(How Much is this ???) upgrade to 4gb later in the year when prices fall futher and im doing more advance scenes.
In this situation when my Processor goes out of date ... i just replace it with a new one aslo i will never need to crossfire or sli as im going for a 22inch monitor.
also the reason i did not get a q6600 quad was then i had to buy a cooler then again overclock (new upcoming games (ARMA2)still use 2 cores dammit)volt mods i dont want to take all that tension.

wic.gif

power1.gif

power3.gif

3dsmax8-1.gif

This is wat made me choose the q9550

Guys I really need your help making the right ' <<<<STABLE>>>> ' choice as my future depends on it..i love 3d and work hard not just doing it for tp...as soon as i get this pc im going to start making my Demo showreel mod,texturing,lighting (3ds max)...I cant have a 20K motherboard go bust or some 15 k ram issue which will be a royal pain in the a** to replace. I need quick support...which is why im confused when people say buy from a online dealer....

And I hope you have seen this:

That's another 30%+ advantage for Nehalem. If you do a lot of 3D rendering on your system, Intel is going to give you $1400 worth of performance for $284. Merry Christmas.

As far as gaming is concerned, i7 will beat Q9550 in almost 80% titles out there. Ok, margin may not be that huge but it is still a better CPU than Q9550 at the same price point. The only issue is that of platform cost which is considerably higher in case of i7 because of DDR3 and expensive X58 mobos.

If you go for i7, get 3 GB memory as Nehalem supports triple channel and double channel. Later you can add 3GB more.

aliboy said:
Guys I really need your help making the right ' <<<<STABLE>>>> ' choice as my future depends on it..i love 3d and work hard not just doing it for tp...as soon as i get this pc im going to start making my Demo showreel mod,texturing,lighting (3ds max)...I cant have a 20K motherboard go bust or some 15 k ram issue which will be a royal pain in the a** to replace. I need quick support...which is why im confused when people say buy from a online dealer....

Well, forget it in that case... if you are not a professional, don't get i7. get the Q9550 and a decent P45 motherboard. Asus or Gigabyte. Pair it with 4GB RAM (also you can get 8GB RAM. it's so cheap that it will cost you just Rs 5,600) and a 4870 or GTX260 216.

I will still say that get the graphics card from US via KMD. You will easily save 5 to 6K. many TE people regularly buy stuff from him.

Cheers... follow your heart if you have some apprehensions. Even if you are wrong, at least you will happy.

you can find better benchmarks at chaosgroup forum.. there is always a thread comparing different proccy. and its a real world test, a test that really means something... well you have to be a vray user.. but i think if a machine is good at rendering vray engine, it has to be good at mentalray, mentalray+maya, or even renderman.. but the point im trying to make is, if you can utilize it at the moment or not.. you have to give some info as what kind of scenes youll be rendering.

Back