User Guides Improve your music playback

This guide is mainly aimed at all those people who have an audigy soundcard, and to a lesser extent , those using their onboard AC'97 sound , and those who care to have good sound quality ( and by that i mean more detail in the sound , not better bass :p) , and with speakers with a good high end.

Have you ever wondered why movies sound just right on your rig, but music not so? Well, the root cause of it is the mediocre quality resampling in the hardware. This is most obvious in the audigy series cards, and to a lesser extent , in AC'97's

to get an idea about it, check out the IM Distortion graphs at 44.1 Khz and 48 Khz The difference is pretty obvious !

imd44tx5.gif

at 44 khz

imd48km8.gif

at 48 khz

original measurements

Thankfully, help isn't far away!

The cure involves using a much higher quality software resampling and output direct to the sound card( and in doing this ,we bypass the windows default mixer which removes one less component) .

note : using software resample eats up CPU cycles like hell so attempt this only if audio fidelity matters more to you
:eek:hyeah:

There are two ways ...

ASIO

ASIO stands for Audio Stream Input/Output , a low latency interface , which by itself has only the low latency bit as its merit, but combined with external resampling , proves to be just the ticket to audio heaven!

Kernel streaming

Unfortunately, all cards don't support ASIO, ( of course , there is always ASIO4all, a generic ASIO driver ) and thats were kernel streaming comes in. it works pretty much like ASIO functionally, and streams the audio direct , (bypassing the windows mixer) to the soundcard. the drawback being that KS tends to be buggy ( it didn't work at all on my Nforce onboard audio)

Now to utilize these, you need to use the appropriate playback plugin for playback

I'll talk about foobar ( actually i was a fan of QCD player , but its ASIO output plugin doesnt seem to work with my audigy ASIO , but it strangely has no issues with nVidia ASIO..)

Install foobar ( howto for winamp given at the end)

Setting up foobar

First of all you need the SSRC resampling plugin for foobar, as it is better than the stock PPHS resampler that comes with foo. Then you need the out_asio and if you're feeling adventurous , the out_ks plugins.

Extract the plugins to the foo plugins folder, and restart foobar

Enable the SSRC plugin, and set it to resample to 48 Khz.The higher the quality, the better ... but at the same time , keep an eye out for CPU. I use these settings as mine's an old barton :D(20% cpu at these settings) ( if you have a 96/24 capable card, then set to 96K !audigy users: disable all the EAX, CMSS , speaker calibrator.. pretty much all the ear candyif you want 96/24 playback.... The audigy DSP engine runs at 48Khz )

also remember to add the mono to stereo converter as ASIO doesnt detect mono

now for playback. If you're going the KS route, all you have to do is choose the KS instead of DS in the list.

ASIO... you need to choose from the list of possible ASIO devices , and in case of the foobar plugin, you can custom map the channels. If you plan to playback multichannel files (say dts) you need to have all the channels mapped. Then choose the newly added ASIO device in the playback list. Enable dithering if you know what dithering means and intend to use it (and your card supports it )

Winamp: the basic idea remains the same... the options here are much more varied , as a number of plugins and ways exist to accomplish the same thing..

1)resample to 48 khz

2)output to ASIO or Kernel streaming , or if neither works , directsound

Links

ASIO 4all :ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver

FOOBAR

ASIO for foobar: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/foo_out_asio.zip

Kernel streaming for foobar : http://www.foobar2000.org/components/foo_out_ks.zip

SSRC for foobar: http://otachan.com/foo_dsp_ssrc_057.7z

Sercret Rabbit code Resampler : Secret Rabbit Code Resampler for Foobar2000.

Winamp

Kernel streaming for winamp : Assorted Steve Monks Related Stuff

this plugin does not resample by itself, you need to use another resampler like the

Hqsoft resampling plugin: HighestQuality Software Processing - Homepage

and then route it to kernel streaming output

ASIO for winamp : a) dll version : WINAMP5? ASIO??????? (dll version) - ??????MIDI/Audio???

b) exe version : WINAMP5? ASIO??????? (exe version) - ??????MIDI/Audio???

c) x64 version : WINAMP5? ASIO??????? (x64 version) - ??????MIDI/Audio???

scroll down to the 4th point to download the file

don't ask me the difference ... i have no idea :D

all these ASIO plugins support built in Sample rate conversion so configure them right and you're set!

And lastly for the faint of heart, a directsound plugin (very much like the default DS plugin , with added SSRC ) : http://nunzioweb.com/sawgstuff/wa/out_ds_ssrc.zip

DISCLAIMER : a few of these plugins are betas or (in some case ) alphas , so use at your own risk !

greenhorn said:
the reason to go 94/24 is that it gives a much cleaner path to playback

thats the audigy2 zs architecture ..IIRC! :D

The path at the extreme bottom is what was added for dvd-audio playback. It completely bypasses the EMU10K2 dsp and uses an intermediate chip called P16V(if u look up creative driver files, u'll find a file by that name). This is some sort of PCI bus mastering chip which creative modified and is now selling as the live 24bit/audigy se. The good thing is that this is a pretty nice hack to get non resampled audio out of the card straight to the DAC. The resampler in the EMU chip is total crap :p.

am having a diff problem with 96000hz. when i go forward or jump to any location of the track the audio volume increases or decreases. lets say the default volume is 1. i go forward in the track by clicking ahead somewhere the volume becomes 1.7 & then i click forward or back again on the track anywhere the volume becomes 1 again. it keeps switching between these 2 volumes when i click to jump ahead.

any idea? it works fine on 48hz

zhopudey said:
:ashamed: well, you talking about the chip, and I'm talking about the card :rofl:

well i was talking about it too :eek:hyeah:
greenhorn said:
I heard that some higher end EMU (CL's pro audio brand) cards dont have the SRC issue at all since their clock itself is switchable and can decode 44.1Khz natively.If only we could get some of that !

but yup... misunderstood you this time :ashamed:

btw, stormblast, check your settings
here are mine ... no issues on seeking here

have the same settings here.

only diff is where the card name is written mine is [AC00] & yours shows as [DC80], dont know what this is for.

it is seeking properly but volume changes when i seek.

good guide......

But the link to download SSRC isnt working

Hydrogenaudio Forums > Wanted v0.9 plugin ports This page has all the plugins you will ever need for Foobar :D :D

Anyway, right now, I have enabled SSRC, convert mono to stereo.

anything else ??

And I didnt get the part abt ASIO. These are my settings right now....

I was also browsing sharky extremes forums and there, they recommended the crossfeed DSP when you use headphones.... I didnt really feel any difference with crossfeed enabled using my regular speakers.

and what abt the equaliser....is that really necessary ??

oh, and another thing....... on sharky extreme forums, they are recommending that you dont set resampling to anything more than 48khz as the hardware is capable of only that much.

I set it to 48khz from 96 and there is absolutely no difference. [/Quote]
Ha ha ha! how often does a noob's first post get stickied, eh?

about the resampler KEEP IT AT 48000Hz!!!
The only reason to put it there is to bypass your onboard resampler. Why would you go any higher? If you pour a glass of water into a bucket, you still only have a glass of water...it's just in a bigger container.

Dang, that analogy sucks....my point is that increasing the sample rate isn't going to increase your quality...you're starting from a 441000Hz source, doubleing that to 882000Hz will only have an intermediate sample between samples that aren't actually doing anything, eating up processor power for absolutely no benefit...

c'mon kids, THINK![/Quote]

Sharky Forums - View Single Post - Configuring foobar 2k

And another thing..... I downloaded foobar 0.9 for the first time today. For the past 1 yr, I was using the old versions.... in those version, whichever track I selected would play next after the current track.

But now, it plays in the proper order. How do I change that ??

And another thing...how do I change the looks of foobar ?? Chaos's setup looks different..... where do I download the skins or whatever ??

greenhorn said:
nice idea dude , i tried to do it , but couldnt due to many reasons

first of all, the installer said my iTunes 6.05 install was "an older version"

so i tried to get itunes 7 + multi plugin 2.4, but then found out that the foobar output doesnt work with 7

and the final nail was that even with iTunes 6.04 and MP 2.3, only foobar .8x versions worked and mine is a .9x install. I guess I'll try it sometime later when all the plugins are in place. Thanx for the info either way! :)

Exactly, the newer versions are buggy and itunes 7 is utter cr@p.
i used itunes 6.0.5, foobar 0.8.3, ASIO 0517, multi plugin 2.3.2 (this version is a mammoth 4.4mb). The sound is just sweet i must say and the skinnable itunes UI is a benefit.

Chaos said:
The bass was way tighter and the impact of the bass drum was waaayyy better. If not for this article, I'd never have known that I have a software bottleneck in my system which could be fixed by paying nothing :p. Hell this difference is much much more perceptible than the difference between my older cheapo chinese 2RCA and the new uber expensive Qunex 2 2RCA.
Am I supposed to understand anything from that ?? :p :lol:

Chaos, reply to Nikhil's argument ?? :p
Nikhil said:
my point is that increasing the sample rate isn't going to increase your quality...you're starting from a 441000Hz source, doubleing that to 882000Hz will only have an intermediate sample between samples that aren't actually doing anything, eating up processor power for absolutely no benefit...
. you thanked greenhorn for SSRC alright but this one? .. now even setting 44.1 to 96 has no difference in sound in my case at all!

But the link to download SSRC isnt working

yup... apparently, it has gone into the next version

btw, the dev's home page is here .. check there for updates :)
Hydrogenaudio Forums > Wanted v0.9 plugin ports This page has all the plugins you will ever need for Foobar

yup.. the list is updated regularly... the only prob is see with foobar. the player itself is fine , but the community is a bit disorganized. having jumped to foobar from Winamp via QCD, both of which had structured communities, the foobar community looks like a big free-for all :S
they are recommending that you dont set resampling to anything more than 48khz as the hardware is capable of only that much.

in case you're running it on an old soundcard or an AC 97 onboard, in which case , it would be pointless to upsample beyond 48

BUT, the audigy 2 and above ARE capable of 96 khz, and actually sound the best at that rate. You might have to completely bypass the DSP engine to get the high quality playback

increasing the sample rate isn't going to increase your quality...you're starting from a 441000Hz source, doubleing that to 882000Hz will only have an intermediate sample between samples that aren't actually doing anything, eating up processor power for absolutely no benefit.
if you resample from 44 to 88, there isnt much difference, but if you are resampling from 44 to 48, it actually reduces the fidelity because you cant fit a square peg in a round hole , and resampling is all about trying to spread 44 samples over 48 slots, and the distribution will almost always be imperfect.
but at 96 K, almost double that , you stand a chance of reducing the damage, as it were to teh signal

btw, upsamling DOES help.. see this for a visual analogy.. the bottom pic is an upsampled version of the middle one
And another thing..... I downloaded foobar 0.9 for the first time today. For the past 1 yr, I was using the old versions.... in those version, whichever track I selected would play next after the current track.

But now, it plays in the proper order. How do I change that ??

And another thing...how do I change the looks of foobar ?? Chaos's setup looks different..... where do I download the skins or whatever ??

I'm also a foobar noob, just installed it a few weeks back to try this out , so i've got no idea how to troubleshoot it .. mine install works,and i'm thankful for it :hap2:

but from the looks in your screenies, it seems you're running the stock UI... try out coulumns_ui from here :)

I am not a newbie to Foobar...... I have been using it for more than a year....but didnt experiment much.... The first time I installed it, Chaos told me what settings to use..... Have been using that ever since :p

Back